Long term ebike motor repairs

FredL

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2021
I've been dreaming of an R&M Supercharger2. I've got an R&M Birdy which has been just fantastic the last 10 years, so I'm sold on the brand.

But I'm new to the ebike world, and while my heart wants one of these bikes, my head is asking awkward questions, such as: what happens when the motor fails after, say, 8 years?

From what I can see Bosch guarantee parts for 5-7 years. So after that, would it be a case of searching on eBay for parts, or calling around Bosch service providers hoping they have parts? And if that fails, the bike would be scrap?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bosh service centres don't carry parts all motors have to go back.
Performance Line Bearings or try and bag a spares only motor.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bosch dont sell most motor parts so it will be peter to the rescue.

when bosch say parts they mean a new motor ;) but my bosch motor from 2014 is still going with a dongle.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho i doubt a power tube battery will be repaired to be recelled because of how they are made.

FredL

May 20, 2021
tho i doubt a power tube battery will be abled to be recelled because of how they are made.
Quick replies, thanks guys.

I took a good look at Peter's site, and it looks great what he's doing. But he too might run out of parts for specific models after a number of years?

It's interesting that the Supercharger2 at around £7k could be obsolete after 7 years. If that's just the way it is for bosch ebikes, then all good.

Reactions: Audio2

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Quick replies, thanks guys.

I took a good look at Peter's site, and it looks great what he's doing. But he too might run out of parts for specific models after a number of years?

It's interesting that the Supercharger2 at around £7k could be obsolete after 7 years. If that's just the way it is for bosch ebikes, then all good.
Bosh are anti competition I wouldn't touch one of their bikes, though the other mid drive brands are all much the same.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
peter has got all his bearings made for him but most motor problems are from water ingress destroying bearings or shorting the controller boards which bosch dont sell.

he has some vids here so you can see what i mean.

Attachments

FredL

May 20, 2021
Bosh are anti competition I wouldn't touch one of their bikes, though the other mid drive brands are all much the same.
What type of motor do you use? No standards-based motors have come on my radar yet.

FredL

May 20, 2021
peter has got all his bearings made for him but most motor problems are from water ingress destroying bearings or shorting the controller boards which bosch dont sell.

he has some vids here so you can see what i mean.
So a bearing failure might well be OK to fix, but a controller board failure means the bike could well be toast.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
So a bearing failure might well be OK, but a controller board failure means the bike could well be toast.
peter would take your motor in exchange for a refurbed one or fit a new controller if he has one in stock.

if you look after it they do last my bike is 7 years old and still turns heads and the original batt is still going but half the range from new as expected.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can always get a new motor from Bosch, which is around £800, then probably another couple of hundred for the dealer to take out the old, put in the new and program it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

FredL

May 20, 2021
So thanks all for your help, you've answered my original question: what happens when the motor fails after, say, 8 years?

The answer is: Hope for the best, no guarantees. Tricky to justify that risk for a high-end/expensive bike like the Supercharger2. I couldn't afford one anyway, but at least I can stop dreaming now :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What type of motor do you use? No standards-based motors have come on my radar yet.
Chinese generic branded hub motors, all use std wire connection sequence, any generic battery and controller.
Mid drive brand frame/bike means no std motor mount is used with each only looking out for them selves. Hub motor can fit nearly any 9mm qr drop out.

Never ever had an LBS repair or look at a bike and only have had minor issues with the electronics which are repaired often in hours. Generic hub type bikes are pretty easy to fault find if one knows what to check/test for.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0082_02.JPG

i bought it of ebay for £3500 stock in 2014 with 160 miles on it it now goes 35mph on the flat ;)

Reactions: Nealh

FredL

May 20, 2021
Chinese generic branded hub motors, all use std wire connection sequence, any generic battery and controller.
Mid drive brand frame/bike means no std motor mount is used with each only looking out for them selves. Hub motor can fit nearly any 9mm qr drop out.

Never ever had an LBS repair or look at a bike and only have had minor issues with the electronics which are repaired often in hours. Generic hub type bikes are pretty easy to fault find if one knows what to check/test for.
This looks like the most future-proof way to go. And it takes advantage of future tech advances.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep, SW has OCD and mothers that bike like no other. Except EddiePJ who no longer posts.

edited spelling.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yep, SW has OCD nad mothers that bike like no other. Except EddiePJ who no longer posts.
but i dont go out in thunderstorms and ride up streams of mud and all his motors had to go back for warranty replacement as they never lasted 2 years which imo was the plan as id do the same if i paid full price.

but he never had a dongle lol.