Long time - Back on board need advice.

WIBBLA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2011
Coventry
www.rzoc.co.uk
Hi All

After many years of not posting on here because the Folding bike i had caused me nothing but issues with spokes breaking i took it back and never could afford really to get another Electric Bike,

Anyway things have moved on and Owner of a Fully Electric Car i also decided to convert my Mountain Bike. So i bought a 250W Kit from EBC with a 13amp battery all is wonderful and i mean wonderful.

I am planning on this being my Daily ride to work soon and at the moment mt bike has its original tyres which are very nobberly..

So the question is whats the best tyre to change to i never really go off road all road riding and will changing the tyre really make much difference on ride and range i hear it does. I know our Renault Zoe runs EV tyres and if you swap them for standard tyres its a bad ride and range is lost also.

Let me know what you super bike knowledgeable people think.

And if anyone here has a Electric Car (Renault Zoe) i run and own the RZOC ( www.rzoc.co.uk ) club ;)

Maybe also swapping my Motorbike for a Electric Zero this year also

Craig

Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

WIBBLA

Sep 8, 2011
Coventry
www.rzoc.co.uk
26" wheels are on the bike.

Loads to choose from around.

Will changing tyres make a vast improvement?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm running Big Bens now and really enjoying the comfort they provide. My Michelin City tyre was great to, surprising in the wet for a slick. The rear true managed 3200 km before sidewall failure (sign of being under inflated but was never missing air) which seeing the weight of the Mxus hub and the cheap Chinese rims doesn't seem too bad.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm running Big Bens now and really enjoying the comfort they provide. My Michelin City tyre was great to, surprising in the wet for a slick. The rear true managed 3200 km before sidewall failure (sign of being under inflated but was never missing air) which seeing the weight of the Mxus hub and the cheap Chinese rims doesn't seem too bad.
It's counter intuitive. Bikes don't go fast enough for aqua planing to occur, so smooth tyre = more rubber contact area = more grip.

This only true on a smooth, solid surface though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We have a bit of sand on the roads here and mixed with rain water it does a remarkable impersonation of ball bearings... :eek:

I chose Big Bens over Big Apples because they look funky and they do seem to work better than the Michelin on sand.

• Informative
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
We have a bit of sand on the roads here and mixed with rain water it does a remarkable impersonation of ball bearings... :eek:

I chose Big Bens over Big Apples because they look funky and they do seem to work better than the Michelin on sand.
I've never tried Big Ben's, but I have some DMR Motos which I use on my trail bike. They seem to be a similar idea, albeit the DMR's are a bit more off-road than on.

WIBBLA

Sep 8, 2011
Coventry
www.rzoc.co.uk
Thanks all for your replies.. I will be getting some road tyres this week as so many say its the right thing to do lol..

I will let you all know how i get on and upload some photos.

Craig

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's not obvious but the road tires will reduce wasted energy so you go faster or further for the same effort. I should be a small effect unless the old tires are really bad.

WIBBLA

Sep 8, 2011
Coventry
www.rzoc.co.uk
Well i got some new tyres from Decathlon near me. Not anything super expensive next time i will go for a well known make like others had said but i got two B,Twin hybrid tyres for £14.99 for the two fitted them last night and took it for a quick ride. Well i can say what a difference smoother and more free rolling less effort good call and thanks people.

I also raised my seat to a height that is correct never been a person wanting seat high like people have looks hard work but gave it a go and again OMG so much better for pedalling. thinking why i bothered with electric should have just raised seat and swapped tyres hahaha so much easier.

Onto commuting to work soon when we move premises ;) photos will ba add soon..

Craig

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Well i got some new tyres from Decathlon near me. Not anything super expensive next time i will go for a well known make like others had said but i got two B,Twin hybrid tyres for £14.99 for the two fitted them last night and took it for a quick ride.
Ouch! Never leave home without a repair kit or a couple of spare tubes! As a father of three boys I have long since decided that life was too short to save money buying supermarket tyres and tubes... Next time may be sooner than you would hope.

That being said I think they may have upped their game because of criticisme on their web site. The worst I saw was husband and wife on brand new bikes with three flat tyres after 2 km...

• :D

WIBBLA

Sep 8, 2011
Coventry
www.rzoc.co.uk
Hangon AnotherKiwi?

Your signature states you have owned two Supermarket Bikes (Decathlon).? Surely you can't state that about there tyres and you go and buy there bikes?

Let me know how your super market bikes have been maybe that will help me know how good the tyres will be.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hangon AnotherKiwi?

Your signature states you have owned two Supermarket Bikes (Decathlon).? Surely you can't state that about there tyres and you go and buy there bikes?

Let me know who your supper market bikes have been maybe that will help me know how good the tyres will be.
Looks like you will be able to settle the argument after a few hundred miles.

Whenever I use cheap, non puncture resistant tyres I will have a puncture within 100 miles, often sooner.

With puncture resistant ones I have often worn them out before I get a puncture.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I'm currently using 2.35 Schwalbe Magic Mary, with slime inner tubes. Great for cross country riding, which I do a fair bit of.

DSC00444.JPG

DSC00433.JPG

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I use schwalbe city jets on 26" rims on my (hack) road bike, these roll really well for fat(ish) slick tyres. Useless for anything other than on road work as most of my riding is off road for which I use smart Sam's with slimed tubes on my ebike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hangon AnotherKiwi?

Let me know who your supper market bikes have been maybe that will help me know how good the tyres will be.
The first thing I did on both was bin the tyres! :D Both bikes were given to me.

First bike a friend gave me it had been in his attic 8 years, imagine the state of the tyres... Put Michelin City with Schwalbe tubes on it and the rear gave up after 3200 km, the front is like new. Hub motors are cruel mistresses...

Second bike (found beside a rubbish bin and given to me), I still have the rear tyre on a rim with a broken spoke if you want it. I bought a new rear wheel for cheap from Taylor wheels and put Big Bens on both with... Schwalbe tubes.

I have nothing against the frames (my current frame is aluminium and made in Germany the other steel made in Portugal) and some of the components but the first thing I would do with one of their bikes if I get another one is change tyres and tubes if they are the originals made in China...

• Informative

WIBBLA

Sep 8, 2011
Coventry
www.rzoc.co.uk
Well tyres seem to be doing great and i have had plenty of friends yesterday say they have had these tyres before without ever having a puncture.

Anyway as i have said its all a trial and to see where i want to go after the small investment i have made.

I have a broke spoke at present and awaiting new ones from EBC should be here today so until then i am out of action on some hard core distance.

Motor defiantly struggles less with new tyres and is helping alot. So all good.

For the time being its back the the Electric Car (Zoe) for my weekly fix. then i might pop out the GSR 750 and put some co2 into the air to make up for all the saving i have been doing lately lol..