Look 'Trail Grip'; Found my ideal runabout pedals

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
Possibly of interest to anyone having the 'shin-shredder vs. slip-n-slide' pedal debate with themselves.

Put some of Bikester's 'Red' branded alloy platforms on our Mundo earlier this year and while they're hands down the grippiest, comfiest flats I've ever used (no hotspots even in super thin-soled shoes) they also have razor sharp pins that have sliced my legs more times than I can remember. Would frequently get home in the summer to be told I was bleeding when I hadn't even realised the bloody things had got me again!

Was considering Look's 'Trail Grip' as a less bloodthirsty but still grippy alternative but was put off by the price. Then found a set on ebay (with spare rubber grips) for £35 so chanced it. Turns out they're really very good. More than grippy enough for urban/commuting/utility riding in all weathers and even cope with a bit of mud; very comfortable too. And, while they grip well enough to prevent slips they're not so aggressive as to prevent repositioning your foot. Also, not a shredded shin or trouser leg since getting them! The built in reflectors are also a reassuring bit of added visibility. Assuming they last the distance I think I'd actually pay going rate for them If I had to buy more.

PS. Ignore wiring jumble in the pic, was sorting out lights at the time.

IMG_0039.jpeg
A2890AF0-C6D8-4AC0-ADFE-59CC4849108C.jpeg