Looking at a wisper 905se

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
Had a good read at the articles on the main site and the a few threads on the forums and have kind of settled on wisper 905se but have a few questions

Is this a good choice for a first ebike my commute is 8-10 each way with towpaths and cycle paths and a fairly decent hill halfway

Can a child seat trailer buggy for my 2 year old nursery run a few days a week can it be be attached to one of these .

I have not bought the the trailer yet but I am assuming they all mount the same way

Will panniers fit these over the battery box or would I need to look at another carrying solution

Or any other ebike for circa £1500 be more suited

Thank you

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 905SE an old model?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the new 905se is a beautiful bike and very suitable for what you have in mind.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes. Both are dead easy to fit.

D

Deleted member 4366

Can a trailer be attached ok and the panniers
Be careful, not all trailers fit. Many fix to the rear axle, which is non-standard on a bike with a rear motor, like the Whisper. Also, the ones that clamp on to the nearside chainstay are sometimes not designed very well. Modern bikes often have non-round or other features that make the clamp not fit very well. Everything can be adapted if you're handy with tools.

If you're going to pull a trailer regularly, you should consider a different bike - one with more low-down torque.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
It's only going to tow one day a week

Just need to convince my boss to sign up to the cycle to work scheme

It's only a small company so need to make it look favourable for him

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I confirm that the attach points that slip over the axle have to be modified. I had to drill out the centre hole to 14 mm and also have the inset where the axle nut goes enlarged. I also had to remove a washer to have enough thread on the axle to put the nut back on. An attach point that fits on the frame or rack will be easier to deal with.

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
Oh ok I may get someone to do that for me bit hamfisted and with the precious cargo ie my daughter I wouldn't trust myself to not cock it up

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
I've just bought the 905 Torque and I think the pannier rack is the same.
I have an Altura Dryline 32 'Klickfix' pannier and couldn't attach it (Wisper, if you're reading!) as the tube diameters were too large and no clearance on the top horizontal rods as it was housing the battery. I had to do a modify it by adding a rod from an old rack (i'll post a pic later).

TBF, the rack is designed more to house the battery rather than be able to support the click type panniers. You should be ok with the cheap permanent 'throw over' type panniers.

Reactions: yaffa

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Still got my halfords universal panniers so I'll see if the fit once I get a bike
Most Ortlieb panniers should fit but it can be a bit fiddly if you need two panniers. We have fitted these panniers to several of these bikes. The are good quality but retail at around £65 each.

Reactions: yaffa

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I had my first ride on a 905se today. For £999.00 it's a great bike. Quiet and strong, no squeaks or rattles and a smooth ride inspite of solid front forks. The front and rear mechanical,disc brakes work really well. It should easily give 30 to 35 miles range. First impressions are everything and I give this one a thunmbs up.

I did not note the side the cord came out of the motor or the capacity of the rack but will update when I have another look. (Unless someone beats me to it.)

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I had my first ride on a 905se today. For £999.00 it's a great bike. Quiet and strong, no squeaks or rattles and a smooth ride inspite of solid front forks. The front and rear mechanical,disc brakes work really well. It should easily give 30 to 35 miles range. First impressions are everything and I give this one a thunmbs up.

I did not note the side the cord came out of the motor or the capacity of the rack but will update when I have another look. (Unless someone beats me to it.)
Thanks Emo Rider, you must be one of the first to try the new Wisper SE bikes! I am so pleased you liked it, we have spent so much time and effort getting it right. We designed and moulded the forks specifically for this bike to reduce weight and added slightly oversize tyres to compensate for the lack of suspension. We can offer a no-charge change to low-end forks similar to Top Gun, (we use Suntour) however the ride IMO is immeasurably better with these new Wisper forks.

All the best, David

Rack Capacity: Battery + 25kg.
Cord comes out of the right hand side.

Last edited:

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks Emo Rider,

Rack Capacity: Battery + 25kg.
Cord comes out of the right hand side.
Hi David sorry to bother you
But where would I stand if as posted earlier I had to modify the mounting point to faciltate a baby trailet should a warranty issue arise

I am due to be heading down to Leicester in the next day or so to test ride one
So your thoughts are appreciated as I will ask the guys to carry any drilling etc work to be done at point of sale

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Malcolm, absolutely no bother at all, great to talk to you. It very much depends on the baby carrier. The best thing to do is talk to Liam in Leicester, he will advise you.

The new Wisper SE and Torque frames all come with 10 year warranties, however drilling the frame would negate that. I imagine that Liam will be able to find a solution. Would you like me to speak to him on your behalf?

All the best, David