Looking at buying an e mountain bike

gtfreight

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2024
Rochdale
Hello,

I was a fairly good road cyclist 30 years ago, even following Le Tour in '96 and climbing Alp D'huez, Val Di'sere, Col de Madelaine, Glandon and Telegraph amongst others (I may have made some spelling mistakes in the names).
22 years ago I decided to start my own haulage business which totally zapped my time so cycling became a lot less frequent. When I sold the business I started with my current employer and have been working long hours up until very recently.
10 years ago I picked up a spinal injury, so with the lack of exercise my weight increased from 13st to 19st last October. I have started eating more sensibly and I'm currently at 17st but if I go out on my mountain bike (I struggle with my composure on my road bike for any length of time) there's nothing in my legs so I'm hearing good things about the modern electric mountain bikes.
That's my introduction over and I would like to say thanks for letting me on board.
I will now start posting in relevant threads.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Good luck finding the right bike. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and will soon feel the health benefits too.

Reactions: gtfreight

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have started eating more sensibly and I'm currently at 17st
That's brilliant, well done! I went a bit extreme and lost weight by intermittent fasting. It bloody well worked though, well worth the effort.

there's nothing in my legs
Tell me about it! Dieting to lose weight leads to muscle mass loss, because it's easy for the human body to burn muscle for energy - roughly 70% fat and 30% muscle is lost. Cycling will build endurance muscle back up again.

Reactions: gtfreight