Help! Looking for a <£2k commuting ebike which will take a child seat

AndyHoller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2020
Hi,

Been lurking on this forum for a few weeks but just newly joined and hoping you might be able to offer some advice.

I'm looking to buy an e-bike on the Cycle2Work scheme this month. I've done a fair bit of research, but just struggling a bit to find something which I'm sure does everything I need it to (in particular the one mentioned in the suject line!). In summary, what I'm looking for is:
  • A hybrid bike to use on a ~10 mile round commute with a long but gradual uphill climb (nothing too serious, North Manchester) back up of an evening
  • I'm reasonably fit, 6 feet and about 80kg. I don't need the assist to do all the work, I'm looking for a bike which helps me to arrive a bit less sweaty and opens up longer journeys. For the last few summers I've done the commute on my non-electric bike through the fair weather, but the wind and the climb on the way home are enough to put me off in winter. I'm looking for something to take the edge off that.
  • We recently discovered my wife is pregnant with our first child. Since this purchase won't be cheap, I do want the bike to be future-proofed and don't want to accidentally buy something which can't take a rear child seat. Some of the models I had been looking at (e.g. Volt Pulse) have rear motors which I think would get in the way. I'm not the most mechanically minded though so am struggling to get my head around what I'll need here.
  • I won't be using properly off-road, but would want something comfortable enough to use on a cobbled towpath or off-road track
  • It's Manchester, I'll need proper front and rear mudguards
  • My work Cycle2Work scheme has a £2k limit so will need to be lower than that. Ideally I was looking for ~£1.5 max.

I've looked at the various Carerra models, the Orbea F40, Volt Pulse, Raleigh Motus, Ribble Hybrid AL e but to be honest keep going round in circles a bit. In particular, a bit torn on the bikes with slightly less well-powered, in-frame batteries. On the plus side, they might be a bit less obvious if locked up in the city centre and they're lighter. Downside I know that some people say they don't have enough oomph.

Basically - any advice much appreciated!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But the page says Rambletta on it.
Oops...
Freudian slip, error corrected.
In any case, need new glasses.
Thank you for pointing it out.
Are these now in stock?
No. They are leaving Shanghai next week. ETA last week in June.

Shurm

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2018
Look at Cube bikes had two both really good and cope with anything, start just under your budget.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Look at Cube bikes had two both really good and cope with anything, start just under your budget.
Cube bikes are good and good value for money. We've got an older Motus and are very happy with it. One caveat (applies to Cube, Motus and several others on your list) is that if anything goes wrong with Bosch motors after warranty it is likely to be a very expensive repair. It might take a long time as well because the dealer often has to send the motor back to Germany. Replacement battery will be expensive too, but that should be a long way away.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
One caveat (applies to Cube, Motus and several others on your list) is that if anything goes wrong with Bosch motors after warranty it is likely to be a very expensive repair. It might take a long time as well because the dealer often has to send the motor back to Germany. Replacement battery will be expensive too, but that should be a long way away.
Is that issue you highlight with Bosch CD motors in reality any different with the other brands, Shimano, Yamaha, Impulse, Bafang etc etc?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bafang motors are handled directly by dealers or importers or assemblers like myself.
One (dealers) or two fewer stops (myself).

Reactions: Ocsid

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you put a child seat on the rack, you can't swing your leg over the baby's head easily.
Also, consider that your wife may use the same bike.

Reactions: Gaz

AndyHoller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2020
if you put a child seat on the rack, you can't swing your leg over the baby's head easily.
Also, consider that your wife may use the same bike.
My wife has her own electric bike (experience on that is what prompted me to start looking!). Good shout on swinging the leg over though, I hadn't considered that....

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For baby seats or child trailers:
The Rambla suits tall riders - around 6ft.
The Santana3 and Big Bear LS suit average riders - around 5ft7
The Rambletta suits smaller riders.