Looking for a new bike

PzPhil

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2014
Hi everyone
Apologies for the forthcoming lengthy post:
I’ve been on here since 2014, when I and OH bought Kalkhoff bikes, a ProConnect and Agattu respectively, with Impulse 2 drives (promise this isn’t going where you think it is!). We also got a pair of Woosh Zephyr CDN folders. These were used for a couple of years then got put away and forgotten.
Come this spring, we decided to get going again – the Kalkhoffs basically needed the batteries charged and the tyres pumping up. Mine has about 1400 miles on it, hers 500. Motors (perhaps surprisingly) OK, batteries still give 60 miles plus. The Zephyrs needed new batteries, sorted by Cem at Ebike batteries.
The issue is not to do with the bikes, but with OH! She is 5’2”, 70kg and has health problems which mean she can’t put much power into pedalling. Her Agattu is of course Torque-sensing, and as she can’t produce much power, it doesn’t deliver much power, even on high, making her slow on the flat and she struggles uphill. She’s much happier on the Zephyr (mid-drive but cadence-sensored), but it’s a small-wheeled folder with only a 3-speed hub gear - bit scary downhill!
So, I’m looking to replace her Agattu with a full-sized, cadence-sensored bike suitable for the smaller rider, without being too spendy. When we were first looking for ebikes, these were two-a-penny but it seems not so much now – the mainstream seems to be mid-drive torque-sensored bikes. I should also say she likes a comfortable saddle – she uses a Bikeroo currently, and would ideally also like a suspension seatpost (I had to put a plain seatpost on the Agattu as this saddle plus suspension post put her too far off the ground when stopped). We’re looking for a bike to provide uphill assistance rather than outright speed.
Having had a quick look at the market, the two ready-made alternatives seem to be the Woosh Petite and the Wisper 705 24”. We live in West Cornwall so it’s tricky to inspect/try before buying. I notice Halfords have some offers currently on their “Assist” range which would come in at not much over £400 with all discounts and we could try for size at our local branch but I’m put off by the 8Ah battery – does anyone know if this is just a generic battery which could be upgraded by me if it proves inadequate in terms of range?
TL;DR: Looking for a small inexpensive cadence-sensored bike which is good at hills.
Bonus question: would you recommend selling the Agattu as-is or retaining it to cannibalise its motor if/when the Impulse 2 on my ProConnect packs in?

PzPhil

Aug 19, 2014
Thanks for this, though the Axcess website shows "out of stock" for the Exmoor2. I've sent them an email anyway.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Petite?

24" wheels, Bafang motor, front Suntour suspension, pedal assist and throttle. £999 with 13AH Samsung cell battery (40 miles), £1,099 with 17AH (60 miles).

Lisajohny543

Sep 4, 2019
Have you ever searched on Reecoupons? If not then once search there, last week my brother bought a bike for himself, and really like it and not too much expensive and quality is damn good, I hope you will get your desirable one from there too.

Last edited: