looking for a pedelec for commuting to work and back

RB7

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2014
hello everyone...

This is my first post here and I am looking for a pedelec for commuting to work and back. Currently I am using my car but it doesn't make sense to use it for such a short distance. The distance from my house to my work place is approximately 5 km.. It is mainly flat but there is a slight incline. So to reduce my petrol expenses I am looking for a pedelec which can help me commute to work and back easily..

I want something to go as past as 40km/h. I understand in UK or Europe, there are restrictions to how fast these pedelecs can go but I am not in EU :) so I guess it doesn't apply to me :)

I prefer a kit which I can install my self on any mountain bike or something ready to ride.. My budget is limited as I have just recently bought a car for another project!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
For three miles consider a push bike.

If you want an ebike, it's pointless looking for 40km/h, or anything over the usual 25km/h - it will make no useful difference to the elapsed time over such a short journey.

RB7

Aug 5, 2014
i understand for such short distance it will not make a difference...but i want to be able to use it for longer distance as well. For example I am playing football twice a week and the distance from my house to the field is approximately 10km.. Also I am poping into local market now and then to buy grocerry (distance 3km from my house) so it will be mainly used for shorter distance and longer distance now and than...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
short haul high speed bike? that's a job for stalkingcat's 11KW prototype.

You'll need something like 1kw 48V direct drive kit (about £200)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bicycle-E-Bike-Conversion-Kit-48V-1000W-Brushless-Motor-Rear-Wheel-/381170361953

or the Q11 from bmsbattery ($115):
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/580-q11-48v1kw-rear-driving-e-bike-hub-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html

and a powerful battery 48V LiFePO4 battery like this one ($161 + freight):

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/728-48v8ah-bottle-09-e-bike-battery-charger-battery.html

RB7

Aug 5, 2014
ok this looks good...

What is the maximum speed of the Q11? I am assuming 45km/hr?

What distance can it cover?

Charging time?

Which mountain bike will be suitable for this again any links will help? I am assuming something with big tires will be better?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
about 30mph with a 48V 25A controller.
The power consumption goes up very quickly with speed. With a 48V 10AH battery, I reckon 50 miles at 15mph, 15 miles at 30mph.
You can mount this kind of kits on more or less any bike, MTB, road bike etc does not matter. The torque is not huge, just sustained power that you'll get. Pay more for brakes though, you could easily end up seriously injured at the sort of speed. Ask cwah, he's got one of them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get a moped unless you can sustain 25-30mph constantly, you would have to be super fit to do that.
Realistically lower your expectations to about 17-20 mph with bursts in between to 25 and even then that will take a good bit of fitness.

RB7

Aug 5, 2014
great.... how easy is to assemble this yourself? or is there anyone in UK. EU or USA who can assemble these for you?

RB7

Aug 5, 2014
Get a moped unless you can sustain 25-30mph constantly, you would have to be super fit to do that.
Realistically lower your expectations to about 17-20 mph with bursts in between to 25 and even then that will take a good bit of fitness.
i will be happy with 17-20mph... I was considering moped which are cheaper but you are looking at maintenance in the long run as well as petrol consumption (will be little but still!). Also there is registration, insurance etc involved!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Cwah has his super speed bike for sale but where are you as international transport can be very difficult with lithium batteries?
A kit from China may workout the easiest option with delivery!

RB7

Aug 5, 2014
Cwah has his super speed bike for sale but where are you as international transport can be very difficult with lithium batteries?
A kit from China may workout the easiest option with delivery!
I am based in Pakistan. Any links to Cwah super bike? If it fits my budget I could buy it without the lipos? which kit would you suggest from China? any links

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Cwah is advertising on this site for sale section .
D8veh is much more expert at buying from China. I buy all mine locally secondhand.