Looking for a quiet 63v charger - ideas?

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
I need to charge 4ah of 15S at work and am looking for a discreet quiet charger. I bought 2 aluminium cased chargers from BMS but they have really really loud fans are pretty bulky and have Leds suitable to use as rear bike lights ;-)

My previous Kudos Tornado bike came with a silent 2amp 42v charger - and I'm looking for something similar. I don't need fast charging, just quiet with cc/cv and cutout. I've seen some 14S chargers that look suitable but not a 15S.

Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 4366

Make a soundproof box by lining it with loft insulation. Put a grille on one end and a PC fan on the other end. Inside the box, you won't see or hear the charger.

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. It reminded me of this joke :)

A man out walking by the coast fell off a cliff. On the way down, after a couple of hundred feet a shrub or tree broke his fall. He managed to grab a branch, and there he was, suspended a thousand feet above a gorge, with only the branch preserving him from certain death.

In a predicament like this, he thought to himself, a prayer might be worth a try. He cried out, “Help! Help! Is there anyone there?”

A deep voice from the clouds replied, “Yes.”
The man looked around, couldn’t see anyone, and said, “Who is this?”
The voice replied, “This is God.”
After a moment, the man asked, “Can you help me?”
“Yes,” God replied; “Let go of the branch. About twenty feet below you is a ledge. From there you’ll be able to make your way down to safety.”

The man was silent for a minute, and then he called out, “Is there anyone else there?”

• :D
Reactions: Croxden

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
If you ask d8veh nicely he will give you the link to a charger that I think you can turn up to over 90 volts so you can set the voltage to suit, not sure if it had a fan or not.

Please d8veh can you send us the link to the charger that you can adjust the voltage on.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just about all the ones in aluminium cases are adjustable, but they have fans in them. You can get them from BMSBattery or Aliexpress. Only the plastic box ones don't have fans or have quiet fans, and they're not normally adjustable.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
That a very niche requirement, I think you'll really struggle to get a charger of that high a voltage that supplies few enough amps to not require a fan.

D8veh has been thinking outside the box (or is it inside:)

You may be able to have someone clever like Jimmy at insat make you one up by altering a stock charger

Might be possible, might not be. Maybe pricey

He is certainly worth asking

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I should have mentioned I use a low amp charger with no fan at work for my 36v pack and I occasionally use a Imax b6 to charge my 4s booster packs. It has no fan unlike the turiigy version. Also the work thin client psu are perfect in supplying 19v 3a with correct connectors

Is your 15s pack splittable? Could. you use a 36v charger for 10s and a Imax for the 5s ?

I keep an Imax and a standard 36v low amp charger at work but it's for emergencies only. No daily use

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What is your 15S battery composed of?

4 Ah isn't much and if you are charging at 1C the fans probably wouldn't even come on on my chargers. I say that because when they get down to about 6 Amps at the end of the charge of my 10 Ah packs and are balancing they do switch off.

D

Deleted member 4366

That would work, but it's a bit expensive for what it is, and slow.

Do I understand that you want to bulk charge 15S lipos at work? Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Why don't you get Jimmy at Insat to weld you up a 15S3P Samsung 30Q cell battery? It'll weigh 2.2kg and have 9AH. A 15S2P one will weigh 1.5kg and still have 6Ah, which might be enough to get you both ways.

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks all for the advice.
Yes, original plan was bulk charge 5ah of 15S lipo. which is made up of 3 packs of 5S. I have two sets of these 5ah packs. Given difficulty getting a quiet charger at that voltage, following anotherkiwis's suggestion I started thinking about charging 5S in parallel using a dedicated 21v cc/cv charger as these are more common. Seeing d8veh's last comment I'm now I'm rethinking a little. (thinking charging at home rather than work.. and see if one 4ah pack is enough otherwise use both packs that I have) I like the idea of the 6ah li-ion pack which would definitely get me both ways, and be a nice weight but its an expense given the cells I have.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would go for the Turnigy Reaktor 300W 20A AC/DC charger and a parallel charging board. Of course if you aren't using XT30's or another sensible plug it can be a pain unplugging and re-plugging the packs. I can practically guarantee you that using a 20 A charger to charge 4 Ah packs it will be as cool as a cucumber. You may have a bit of a hum from the power supply fan from time to time.

Now we need to know why a dead silent charger is required at work, we are a very curious lot :D

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
LOL. dead silent isn't needed - a fan would have been ok but the one on my aluminium charger is just SO LOUD and it starts as soon as charging starts.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Second anotherkiwi's idea for a high power charger on a slow charge, since you are at work all day there is no rush to charge quick and the safety of a balance charger is probably a better option at work, you could also go for a BC168 and parallel charge at low power with that too. If you then work out the power required you might be able to run those chargers from a 'laptop' style charger fanless power supply.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pin-90W-Adapter-Power-Supply-DC-15V-6A-Cable-For-Toshiba-Equium-A80-M50-Serie-/222272775770?hash=item33c07d665a:g:j5EAAOSw8gVYAEhC

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have 2 BC168's though very good are noisy.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Search no more...

I'm using this one for 2 years now almost every day:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/60V-3A-DC-High-Precision-Compact-Digital-Adjustable-Switching-Power-Supply-OVP-OCP-OTP-Low-Power/32338416451.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.61.wjIr8G&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10091_10090_10088_10089,searchweb201603_1&btsid=721653a7-c11c-40d3-8c3a-777c1a709ae8

It says 60V but when turned to the maximum it goes to 63V.

It's the most reliable and silent charger I had to date. All the chargers from BMS battery ended up dead after several months...

This one is still working well and I like it so much I bought the 5A one for longer journeys. I think they can also be in series if you need higher voltage.

ps: there is also another power supply that is as reliable is the meanwell HLG range: http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=hlg-150h
But you'll need to series 2 of them together to reach desired voltage