Looking for advice

David1978

Just Joined
May 20, 2020
Hi, im wanting to convert a Cannondale trail 5 2016 to an E bike using a 27.5" rear hub motor kit.
What i want is something fast that wont break the bank.
Preferably i just want a twist grip throttle and no sensors, and i'd like to keep my brakes as they are.
Maybe a 40 mile range would be ideal.
A nice looking display is also essential.
Thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Throttle only with no brake sensors is recipe for a disaster to happen at some stage and also non compliant with any pedelecs or S- pedelec ruling.
Don't think I'm not against speed bikes, it's the users choice but at least cover the basics for safety.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

David1978

Just Joined
May 20, 2020
Well the 40 mile range was referring to distance for starters, notice how i didn't write 40 mph?
Also ive been a cyclist for 36 years since i was 5 yrs old and don't need any lectures on safety.
I'm a strong believer in freedom of speech and im against the ever growing countless rules and regulations put in place to try and prevent my freedom of choice so this forum definitely isn't for me. "15 mph" lol

FJC71

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2020
Well the 40 mile range was referring to distance for starters, notice how i didn't write 40 mph?
Also ive been a cyclist for 36 years since i was 5 yrs old and don't need any lectures on safety.
I'm a strong believer in freedom of speech and im against the ever growing countless rules and regulations put in place to try and prevent my freedom of choice so this forum definitely isn't for me. "15 mph" lol
While there are some who take a self riteous approach to e bike regulations, speed and safety on forums, to the point of trolling in some cases, I don't think that this is the case with Neaths reply. its a piece of solid advice both for technical as well as safety reasons.

The regulations are almost irrelevant, the brake sensors act like the emergency kill switch on an engine. If the throttle jams you will not be in control of the bike, its even worse on a fast non legal bike. A crash and/or a wrecked motor are district possibilities, put it another way would you drive a car if there was a risk of the throttle jamming. The faster the bike the more important it is to fit brake sensors.

While I may be tempted to build a non regulation fast bike, I would never omit the brake sensors when fitting a throttle.

The fact that you have 36 years of experience in cycling is not entirely helpful, when it comes to E bikes you are a novice like most of us who come for advice on this forum. The summing up in you post shows your true level of knowledge and was fatuous and disrespectful of someone who was genuinely trying to help you.

• Agree
Reactions: Muddyfox and D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
David1978 goodbye then....
It's common sense, quite right no mention of 40mph in the post, however the second line of " what I want is something fast that won't break the bank" suggests more then 15.5mph.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
David1978 goodbye then....
It's common sense, quite right no mention of 40mph in the post, however the second line of " what I want is something fast that won't break the bank" suggests more then 15.5mph.
I too noticed in my early post that you hadn't said 40mph. I specifically pointed out things you had asked for that would prevent it being a pedalec (a twist grip throttle and no sensors ). Still you can post on the relevant subforum as I mentioned where you may well get help.