Looking for affordable commute hybride ebike

Ceci

Just Joined
Sep 24, 2023
Good afternoon,

I'm commuting to my new work place (4miles) and can benefit from the cycle-to-work scheme.
I am looking for an ebike, no more than £1500.

So far, i have been checking Riverside 500E from Decathlon, but annoyingly i have to add a lot of accessories (rear track, mudguards to transport my work laptop and lunch box).
I went to Decathlon twice already and spoke to two salesperson, and I did not find them convincing.
Today i was looking at a Whyte Clifton bike from Evan Cycle but cannot find any reviews.

Any advice on the bikes i found above or any other bikes that would fit my criteria?

I ABSOLUTELY Love riding bikes, i have never tried an e-bike, but I am choosing this option because I don't want to arrive sweaty :D

Thanks

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3
or
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino
Or

Tony @Woosh is on the forums and the customer service has a very good reputation

Or
Or

Again David @Wisper Bikes is on the forums and goes above and beyond in terms of customer service

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Good afternoon,

I'm commuting to my new work place (4miles) and can benefit from the cycle-to-work scheme.

So far, i have been checking Riverside 500E from Decathlon, but annoyingly i have to add a lot of accessories (rear track, mudguards to transport my work laptop and lunch box).
I went to Decathlon twice already and spoke to two salesperson, and I did not find them convincing.
Today i was looking at a Whyte Clifton bike from Evan Cycle but cannot find any reviews.

Any advice on the bikes i found above or any other bikes that would fit my criteria?

I ABSOLUTELY Love riding bikes, i have never tried an e-bike, but I am choosing this option because I don't want to arrive sweaty :D

Thanks
Those bikes are great while they're working. We get no end of people coming on this forum asking about how to deal with some electrical problem; however, all we can do is tell them to go back to where they bought the bike from, which seems to be not a pleasant experience for them.

In that price range, you're much better to stick with ebikes that use standard Chinese parts that you can get from anywhere, which makes repairs and upgrades much easier. Your problem is how to recognise these bikes. There have been some recommended above, or there are loads on Amazon and Ebay.

If you're incapable of servicing or fixing anything, my advice would be to buy whatever you like that's in your local bike shops.

All ebikes need something fixed sooner or later. The battery will last a few years, and you need to be sure that you can get a not too expensive replacement when the time comes, so avoid anything that has a niche or bespoke battery.

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Many newbies end up tied in knots when all they're looking for is a decent and affordable ebike.

My recommendation, as above, is just to get a bike from someone like Woosh or Wisper and rest easy that you'll have great back-up should the need arise, which it probably won't. There are other trusted dealers too if you want to spend some time searching the forum.

Whilst I have converted 3 bikes (because I like tinkering) I still hanker after another tailor made one (I actually had a couple 10 years ago with no issues).

If your aim is to become an enthusiast then certainly spend a few months on here learning the ropes as members like @saneagle offer amazing advice. It's an addictive hobby.

But, if you just want to get to work reliably, buy from a known ebike retailer.

Reactions: esuark and Woosh

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
My experience with the Decathlon 500E from the Milton Keynes store (reduced price of £999 last January) was very good eg knowledgeable bike mechanics there. Also I already had all the necessary bits other than mudguards to fit it out as a touring/commuter bike. I am very happy with the outcome (see my previous posts). Good luck with your quest.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would echo what has been mostly said and woul duse the services of either Woosh or Wisper both have been in business for many years and are experts in the field of selling EPAC's, both having exempalry CS.

Reactions: Woosh

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Mrs DG had a Wisper 705, which developed a fault after the warranty had expired.

All fixed FOC by Rutland Cycles and Wisper. Excellent customer services.

However, her first e-bike was a Cyclotricity Sahara, which I believe uses Chinese parts as mentioned earlier. This was a complete contrast as it kept falling to bits. Terrible bike.

DG…

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/whyte/clifton-electric-hybrid-bike-930620?utm_source=rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=digidip x deal sites&utm_content=10&utm_term=3274037&ranMID=43869&ranEAID=svunC25memk&ranSiteID=svunC25memk-8E.ez.0tO.59KugK0BjTbA#colcode=93062002

£1159 with "OUTLET20" code

Review:

Reactions: egroover

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The Riverside 500E is known for its affordability and good value for money. However, as you mentioned, you may need to add accessories like a rear rack and mudguards. While these additions are common for many commuters, it's understandable that you may be looking for a more complete package. It's also worth noting that the Decathlon sales experience may not have been satisfactory.
Non-standard electrical parts makes cheap DIY repairs and fault diagnosis tricky. Decathlon don't even list the battery as a spare part for that bike. I always recommend to get a bike with standard Chinese parts if you're buying at the cheap end of the spectrum.

Reactions: flecc and sjpt

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
In this case, I recommend viewing this brand E-Bike Coop they help you choose one. With the growing popularity of electric bikes (e-bikes), this shop offers an exciting range of electric bicycles to cater to various preferences and needs. One of the standout features of Electric Bikes Edinburgh is its contribution to sustainable and eco-friendly transportation. E-bikes are known for their ability to reduce carbon emissions and offer a greener alternative to traditional gas-powered vehicles. The shop's commitment to promoting environmentally conscious commuting is commendable.
I looked through their range of bikes. apart from Bromptons with little wheels, all their bikes seem to have crank motors. Why don't they sell any proper e-bikes?

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
But like anything, there are good quality parts and their are poor quality parts.
I feel my hub kit from Woosh is excellent quality. Certainly good enough for what I need - daily transport I don't have to think about too much.

I think that it's closer to an old-school moped as opposed to a recreational product like most of the proprietary eBikes seem to be.

Reading many of the horror stories on parts availability for proprietary bikes I am very much reassured I went with something that I can replace. If Whoosh went out of business I would be able to fix my bike. That's reassuring.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Good afternoon,

Thanks

Before you consider ANY "E" bikes remember to google MID drive v HUB drive and every time MID drive is best, don't take my word, hills, gears, stability, front hub cal "lose it" on slippery roads, drain covers, bends if not careful.

Reactions: jimriley

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I am agreeing with saneagle, wow!

How many times have I said on forums, the E bike battery that comes with this years bike is great, next year when the new design comes out and won't fit your bike good luck when it goes.

After SIX months of research (my autism is perfect for this) I decided to have my 2 bikes converted not buy new, the generic parts (Bafang have been going for over 20 years) and the batteries, due to the fact that millions are in use worldwide will be available long after I am no longer here.

Think carefully about getting a good bike then having it converted. I am happy.

I did contact the cycle top work scheme and was told that as long as the same seller sells the bike and converts it and is a member it can be supplied/covered. Check.