Looking for affordable commute hybride ebike

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I feel my hub kit from Woosh is excellent quality. Certainly good enough for what I need - daily transport I don't have to think about too much.

I think that it's closer to an old-school moped as opposed to a recreational product like most of the proprietary eBikes seem to be.

Reading many of the horror stories on parts availability for proprietary bikes I am very much reassured I went with something that I can replace. If Whoosh went out of business I would be able to fix my bike. That's reassuring.
100%

My only concern and yes I have seen it is that many get so into the biking after getting it converted they then want to go off road, gravel, forest, good luck with a hub drive

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Saracen you are still misleading folks with your biased and unknowledgable experience of the mid drive vs hub being better myth.
Both on the front wheel drive being problematic and the use of a hub drive for off road , both are very capable of doing so and can contest to this having done many 1000's of miles in the Surrey Hills/North downs & on the South downs.

I can tell you from experience and from many rides that a front Bpm hub at 44v /20a is a very capable option in the most muddiest off road conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a commute bike a mid drive would be the least favourable due to extra maintenance and wear costs, a hub will be far more reliable and relaxing unless one enjoys turning up sweaty.

By all means use a mid driven bike for properv off road or leisure use but otherwise a hub will be ideal.

I have both drive types (actually in all) five drive types and they all work / do the job they are designed for.
Predominantly I use a hub drive for commute & errands/ shopping, Ts mid drive for heavy hauling/ towing (though my tiny G370 hub ) is equall for the job.
For ultra lightweight my friction drive is damn good and only adds 2.5kg to my 10.3kg bike.

Last edited:

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Before you consider ANY "E" bikes remember to google MID drive v HUB drive and every time MID drive is best, don't take my word, hills, gears, stability, front hub cal "lose it" on slippery roads, drain covers, bends if not careful.
@Saracen - you are saying something that isn't borne out by my experience of ebikes. I spent a day in my nearest city today. All those Deliveroo riders! I had a coffee, and looked at them all. Out of 24 ebikes I saw in the hour I was waiting before visiting hours started at the ward my friend was staying on, I didn't see a single mid-drive.

I simply don't believe a mid-drive is better. It has been very cold and wet today - I didn't see any riders "lose it" on the manhole covers.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
100%

My only concern and yes I have seen it is that many get so into the biking after getting it converted they then want to go off road, gravel, forest, good luck with a hub drive
That's wrong for almost all the people that have a hub drive bike.

In my case, I want to use my bike to go to the shops. It saves me £4 bus ride that I would spend if I caught the bus to town.

I don't want to do off road, gravel or forest riding. I want to go to the shops.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
All those Deliveroo riders! I had a coffee, and looked at them all. Out of 24 ebikes I saw in the hour I was waiting before visiting hours started at the ward my friend was staying on, I didn't see a single mid-drive.
I wonder if they have their own e-bike forum. We should send Saracen there to start mid drive vs. hub flame war.

... after few months we would send Flecc to finish them off on legal ground.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
100%

I have both - hub drive (bafang g020) and bafang bbs - ultimately the bbs is more capable but requires more concentration and attention to what gear I'm in and forward planning for any hills ahead but more "crunchy" gear changes changing down gears under high power (on steep hills) and to the 11 tooth cassette gear.

I certainly use the hub drive for off road, forest and gravel, although for really gnarly stuff and really steep offroad hills I use the BBS (although the hub drive is suprisingly capable - I am about reaching its limits on a steep one mile hill that has a 28% incline section at the end of it)

For utility cycling I prefer the hub drive, but recreational mountain biking when I am in the mood the mid drive.

budwilson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 7, 2023
Good afternoon,

I'm commuting to my new work place (4miles) and can benefit from the cycle-to-work scheme.
I am looking for an ebike, no more than £1500.

So far, i have been checking Riverside 500E from Decathlon, but annoyingly i have to add a lot of accessories (rear track, mudguards to transport my work laptop and lunch box).
I went to Decathlon twice already and spoke to two salesperson, and I did not find them convincing.
Today i was looking at a Whyte Clifton bike from Evan Cycle but cannot find any reviews.

Any advice on the bikes i found above or any other bikes that would fit my criteria?

I ABSOLUTELY Love riding bikes, i have never tried an e-bike, but I am choosing this option because I don't want to arrive sweaty :D

Thanks
I would recommend Aventon Pace 500. Try looking for it.

• Disagree
Reactions: lenny

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nice too see other contributers back hub drives as suitable options, when someone has a bias towards only one type of motor without long term esxperience or use of a hub drive over varying terrain for many years of use then the advice is lacking in many ways.

Eddie jeffries once prolific with his mid drive bosh bikes and a like me was a true gnarly off road mud plugger and we see many of his contributions in the various off road threads, too which many off us have added with our pics and adventures.

My two hub bikes used were a front bpm hub on a 26" mtb and the rear Cst, yose power hub and the akm 128c.
Yes mid drive is ideal for off road but if on ehas to lash up one's bike with bodgy bits of plastic everywhere like Saracen has too then surely the drive type isn't that suited to the terrain , hubs don't need the protection as they are sealed up nicely and pretty much bullet proof. All one has to do is make sure the hub is fitted the right way up with the motor cable outlet at the bottom forming a drip loop to prevent moisture tracking into the hub.

Reactions: Cadence and Woosh

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
@Saracen - you are saying something that isn't borne out by my experience of ebikes. I spent a day in my nearest city today. All those Deliveroo riders! I had a coffee, and looked at them all. Out of 24 ebikes I saw in the hour I was waiting before visiting hours started at the ward my friend was staying on, I didn't see a single mid-drive.

I simply don't believe a mid-drive is better. It has been very cold and wet today - I didn't see any riders "lose it" on the manhole covers.
You argue with fact then do the google then argue with all those professionals, GMBN, Cycle weekly, Cycle news, GCN, not me

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Nice too see other contributers back hub drives as suitable options, when someone has a bias towards only one type of motor without long term esxperience or use of a hub drive over varying terrain for many years of use then the advice is lacking in many ways.

Eddie jeffries once prolific with his mid drive bosh bikes and a like me was a true gnarly off road mud plugger and we see many of his contributions in the various off road threads, too which many off us have added with our pics and adventures.

My two hub bikes used were a front bpm hub on a 26" mtb and the rear Cst, yose power hub and the akm 128c.
Yes mid drive is ideal for off road but if on ehas to lash up one's bike with bodgy bits of plastic everywhere like Saracen has too then surely the drive type isn't that suited to the terrain , hubs don't need the protection as they are sealed up nicely and pretty much bullet proof. All one has to do is make sure the hub is fitted the right way up with the motor cable outlet at the bottom forming a drip loop to prevent moisture tracking into the hub.
LOL ROFL. You are no less the person one would expect from you as you have proven in the past, I note no common sense intelligent response just the normal abuse from you LOL by the way can I suggest you at least get a spell checker when posting "esxperience ", "on ehas" "contributers", bodgy" and learn the meaning of words, I have Autism, Aspergers, ADHD and am more intelligent and less disrespectful than you LOL

What is a Bodgy slang?
Definition of 'bodgie'

1. an unruly or uncouth young man, esp in the 1950s; teddy boy. adjective. 2. i

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
LOL ROFL. You are no less the person one would expect from you as you have proven in the past, I note no common sense intelligent response just the normal abuse from you LOL by the way can I suggest you at least get a spell checker when posting "esxperience ", "on ehas" "contributers", bodgy" and learn the meaning of words, I have Autism, Aspergers, ADHD and am more intelligent and less disrespectful than you LOL

What is a Bodgy slang?
Definition of 'bodgie'

1. an unruly or uncouth young man, esp in the 1950s; teddy boy. adjective. 2. i
So you wear your autism wth pride and expect other people to make allowances, but can't make allowances for others making simple spelling errors that make no difference to the meaning of the message? Play the ball, not the man. If you can't do that please take your confirmation bias somewhere else.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
So you wear your autism wth pride and expect other people to make allowances, but can't make allowances for others making simple spelling errors that make no difference to the meaning of the message? Play the ball, not the man. If you can't do that please take your confirmation bias somewhere else.
“Here comes the know-it-all! What is the Oracle going to lecture me about today?”

I replied because of the stupid abuse or I would not have you are obviously such a laugh you can't see your own lack of intelligence and it is not "wth" it is "with"

So that you feel a big person I will not respond again, you have the last word

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You argue with fact then do the google then argue with all those professionals, GMBN, Cycle weekly, Cycle news, GCN, not me
They're all sporting cycling magazines, not people that want their bikes to ride to work, go shopping or touring.

Some of us have been building, repairing, selling and using electric bikes for a very long time. We are experts in our own right and probably have significantly more experience of all the different types of ebikes than whan those guys in the magazines have. Also, we're independent. Nobody is paying us. All those magazines are sponsored by various organisations that have a commercial interest in ebikes, so you will never get an honest opinion from them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh and snafu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
He doesn't like it because no one really agrees with his nonsense and bias views, no account is taken in to other peoples use . He is transfixed with tunnel vision and the views he has.

As to spelling errors it is more so because my fingers are quite wide and can press more then on key at a time so near by letters may be pressed in error, tbh I can't be assed to proof read every entry to keep someone like you happy.

Last edited:

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
100%

In which case they can buy a crank drive. There is no rule preventing people from having more than one bike.

No one is stopping anyone from buying anything. But you're saying that hub drives are no good for anything which is incorrect.

If you look at the vast majority of ebikes that are ridden in this country (notably the ones ridden by professional cyclists otherwise known as deliveroo riders), you can see that they are very rarely crank driven.

They are actually a better choice for general transport. They are better protected from ingress of dirt and water. That is not a contetious statement.