Looking for child seat for 5-year old son with autism

Llwyrddyn

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Hello. First post on here, but I've been visiting these forums for a long time.

I have a 5-year old son with low-functioning autism who is now too large to fit into his child seat that I have on my electric bike. I've been trying to find a child seat online that is suitable for a disabled child of his size, but I haven't had any luck so far.

I found a couple of seats that are for children his size and bigger (such as the Bobike Classic Junior rear bike seat), but these are designed for a non-disabled child and are not safe to put my son in. Does anyone know of a child seat that is designed for a disabled child aged 5 and above? Anyone know where I might be able to find one?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide me with.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Llwyrddyn

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Thank you for the link you provided me with, Soundwave.

In my own situation, I'm looking for an actual child seat rather than a trailer or tag-along item. I personally don't think those tag-alongs are safe unless you will be cycling entirely off-road, which is not the case for me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK
Shout me down but I just don't get child seats attached to bicycles of any type.

Too many stupid drivers out there to risk a child (who generally has no say in the matter) being injured or worse.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Shout me down but I just don't get child seats attached to bicycles of any type.

Too many stupid drivers out there to risk a child (who generally has no say in the matter) being injured or worse.
My view is slightly different (no shouting necessary, your view is as valid as any)

It's important to spend quality time with your children, teach them how to exercise, and to enjoy the outdoors. It's also important to teach them how to take acceptable risk. For me and the boy, bikes ticked all these boxes.

I accept your point that in the early days I had to make these decisions for him.

Our favourite method (from 3-5 ish) was a front facing seat, where he was sat between me and the handlebars. (At this point he was able to ride solo, so I don't know how appropriate for the OP's level of ability)

Cycling is not without risk, but all parents have to weigh this against the benefit.

These days he rides his own bike, and most Sundays I chuck a crash helmet on him, stick him on the back of the quad bike and take him to play Rugby for the local u8's team. More risks but YOLO and all that....

Last edited:
Reactions: D C and anotherkiwi

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK
My view is slightly different.

It's important to spend quality time with your children, teach them how to exercise, and to enjoy the outdoors. It's also important to teach them how to take acceptable risk. For me and the boy, bikes ticked all these boxes.

I accept your point that in the early days I had to make these decisions for him.

Our favourite method (from 3-5 ish) was a front facing seat, where he was sat between me and the handlebars. (At this point he was able to ride solo, so I don't know how appropriate for the OP's level of ability)

Cycling is not without risk, but all parents have to weigh this against the benefit.

These days he rides his own bike, and most Sundays I chuck a crash helmet on him, stick him on the back of the quad bike and take him to play Rugby for the local u8's team. More risks but YOLO and all that....
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with quality time and exercise etc.

I just don't get putting very young kids in potentially very dangerous situations without them being aware or being able to voice their own opinions.

I live and work in London and it scares me rotten to see cyclists riding in rush hour traffic with tiny kids on the back of their bikes. Seems to me like an accident waiting to happen.

As for risk, I know all about it - I've got 2 boys who both play rugby and one who also plays ice hockey. They're both out injured at the moment!!!

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
It always amazes me when I see someone out cycling with a young child following behind on their own bike. The child should always be in front of the adult so you can scream instructions at them.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with quality time and exercise etc.

I just don't get putting very young kids in potentially very dangerous situations without them being aware or being able to voice their own opinions.

I live and work in London and it scares me rotten to see cyclists riding in rush hour traffic with tiny kids on the back of their bikes. Seems to me like an accident waiting to happen.

As for risk, I know all about it - I've got 2 boys who both play rugby and one who also plays ice hockey. They're both out injured at the moment!!!
Sorry to hear about the injuries!

Perhaps I would share your view if I lived in London. Where I live in Devon it's probably a different set of risks.

Llwyrddyn

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Thanks for your responses guys.

My opinion is that a child seat is a fairly safe way of transporting a child, as long as you ride carefully and make sure your bike is always very visible to drivers. My son has severe autism and he will never be able to ride a bike by himself. Also, we don't have a car, and so it is a big convenience for us to be able to transport him on an electric bike.

The cargo bikes/trikes are of interest to me. Can anyone recommend one that has good hill climbing ability? I'd be particularly interested in one that has a crank-drive setup or a powerful hub motor like the BPM.

Thanks.

Reactions: D C and Alan Quay

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For the BPM motor it would most likely be you fitting a kit to an un-powered trike or cargo bike. Most of the Dutch and Danish ones are Bosch powered.