Looking for commuter bike for myself and wife

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Have you had feedback re NuVinci drive and gates belt drive, charger is an awesome looking bike with fantastic spec but still leaning toward cruiser
The bike we sold had NuVinci which comes with a chain but no belt drive and we have got good feedback. Note the Cruiser has the classic motor like on the 2013 Bosch bikes. Whereas the Charger has the performance system on which has more torque as well as taking more readings per second (1000) which means it is silky smooth and it comes with 400wh battery whereas this is an extra for the Cruiser.

Blythe

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2014
The bike we sold had NuVinci which comes with a chain but no belt drive and we have got good feedback. Note the Cruiser has the classic motor like on the 2013 Bosch bikes. Whereas the Charger has the performance system on which has more torque as well as taking more readings per second (1000) which means it is silky smooth and it comes with 400wh battery whereas this is an extra for the Cruiser.
Thanks again, was not aware of difference, like idea of belt for maintenance efficiency, but chain would be fine. Have read up on NuVinci a bit and think it is best bet. Still trawling forums and web sites.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
The charger bikes we have here in the e bike centre are beautifully made and look stunning. I am so keen on the gates system. The new spencer Ivys will have carbon belt drives matched to MPF motors and alfine gears. Let's see how HRH enjoys riding them!

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
I'm new to E bikes myself and out of a loan bike (Raleigh Velo Cite) and then the one I purchased (Volt Pulse) I have only covered around 500 miles over 2 months. However in general is a belt drive bike worth buying. They look smart and seem very nice but to date I can't find any reliable articles where people have used them long term. I was considering buying a belt drive single speed from Edinburgh cycles a couple years back and decided against it because I was unsure about the long term durability in different weather and conditions etc. Maybe someone can put me right on this point.

Looked into the Nu Vinci a while back. Looks interesting but like any system it has its draw backs.

I like chain and derallieur as opposed to hub gears but thats me. I think this set up is very reliable with a good range of gears. The Velo Cite had a Alfine 7 speed and TBH it was ok. Liked the point that I could shift the gears standing still at traffic lights.

I would not recommend any E bike without disc brakes though. Comming down some of the hills near where I live (Gateshead, Co Durham) was a bit scary at times on the Raleigh's V brakes. The volt has cable discs which I have confidence in. I know from speaking to the fellas at my LBS that rims tend to wear down quite quick because the V brake has to stop all that extra momentum of the E bike. Another point is that I found that the Raleigh's front hub motor wasn't a good idea in terms of cornering at speed (obvously still pedelling). And its 'simple' torque sensor made the motor cut in and out at times. And, the battery on the rack seemed to knock the bike's centre of balance out and felt strange at times even conering without pedalling. Don't know if this is because I'm used to road bikes.

I'm also a keen cyclist and member of a local club. My E bike is an alternative form of transport. Keeps me fit. My commute is around 50 minutes, each way, and takes a few steep hills. I can spin up hills that I would usually need to get out of the saddle on. I get there fresh and not too hot. The biggest advantage is that I'm not 'melting' and not wanting to eat everything in sight. And not wanting to have a nap ;-) I can get into work at near road bike speed (45 mins road bike) but like I say in much better physical condition as my effort is lighter. I'm a nurse so after a 13 hour shift of running around I have the option of letting the bike do a bit more of the work and I can relax and unwind.

Overall I'm impressed with the Volt pulse. Not claiming that its the best option for everyone but think the balance reliable Shimano gear, tektro brakes and 16ah battery option is good.

Wonder how useful the regeneration on the Bionix system is?

Dave.

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Oh, and look at the manufacturer guarantee. One of the things that was high on my list was not whether it was crank or back wheel motor driven, was what was the guarantee. I have a 2 year guarantee which includes the battery. Also I went for a lithium polymer battery which is claimed that it can recharge over 1000 full cycles.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

Blythe

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2014
The charger bikes we have here in the e bike centre are beautifully made and look stunning. I am so keen on the gates system. The new spencer Ivys will have carbon belt drives matched to MPF motors and alfine gears. Let's see how HRH enjoys riding them!
When will you be releasing the new Spencer's? Sound great

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Would not sell a bike on regen despite that fact we have bikes with it. It is more of a gimmick as you are unlikely to get much back from it.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Thank you - they will be ! We are just having the frames finished and then aiming to get the prototypes ready for March / April. We will then launch them and take them on the road to dealers. We will (I think?!) be producing the only English assembled belt driven E-bike out there ...same design as current models just different drive system and UK-assembled !

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
However in general is a belt drive bike worth buying. They look smart and seem very nice but to date I can't find any reliable articles where people have used them long term.
I did over 1000 miles on my Grace, no problem with the belt at all. No signs of wear or damage, it kept the mud off it and me clean of oil. They are good.

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
That sounds good. Looking at the belts they should be good. I asked a couple of the staff in Edinburgh cycles at th time and they couldn't really tell me anything about them. Researched but could not find a long term test. Now I have I suppose? Thanks.

bigroy

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Fife Scotland
Hi Blythe
being from Fife you should pop in to Lochgelly and try out some of our bikes.

Blythe

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2014
Hi Blythe
being from Fife you should pop in to Lochgelly and try out some of our bikes.
Spooky Roy, me n missus were going to call Alien tomorrow to see if okay to come in on Friday. Test may be scuppered with snaw, but would like to see bikes at least, cheers

Blythe

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2014
Hi Roy, forgot to ask, what height does big refer to? I'm 6'5" so not sure what frame size on Aliens, but missus a bit weeir she'll be fine

bigroy

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Fife Scotland
Hi Blythe
the only bike I would say was too small for me (6'3") would be the Vortex,and don't let the snow stop you our test track is indoors :)

Blythe

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2014
Many thanks Big Roy@Alien, top guy and great fun testing bikes. Aurora def on my buy list, and etienne wife's favourite, that alien gms is some machine, frightening power indeed.

Reactions: bigroy

Blythe

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2014
Thanks also to john at electricbikescotland , great range for trying out, freego top of wife's list, I'm still impressed by Bosch crank, but eagle impressive on trial. Lost my wallet in hilltoon while testing, couldn't find it, but a local had picked up and went out of their way to contact me, my faith in dundonians sky high now.

Blythe

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2014
Would like to know how east it would be to put throttle on kalkhoff agouti step thru? Wife tried few bikes and liked having throttle option, spec on kalkhoff and reduced price look great value

C

Cyclezee

Would like to know how east it would be to put throttle on kalkhoff agouti step thru? Wife tried few bikes and liked having throttle option, spec on kalkhoff and reduced price look great value
It's not doable I'm afraid and no EU bikes have a throttle that will assist to more than walking pace i.e. 4 mph.