Looking for donor bike suspension or not?

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I am looking at the possibilty of converting a donor bike. Should I go for suspension or not? The road surface on my planned route is horrendous. Should this be the guiding factor or the weight reduction of no suspension be more of a priority to help with hill climbing performance?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I would select the Kit you want to fit First

Then ask what bike to fit it To If you want a small 250 watt motor the you can use suspension forks and front motor Better balance weight off motor on the front Battery on the Rear if you want a more powerful motor Go for rear As the Motor will EAT The ends off the suspension forks

Example

I have just finished converting a Customers Trek 6300 Hard tail I have Fitted a rear 1,500 Motor and a rack mounted battery 48 volts 15 AH
Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

I am looking at the possibilty of converting a donor bike. Should I go for suspension or not? The road surface on my planned route is horrendous. Should this be the guiding factor or the weight reduction of no suspension be more of a priority to help with hill climbing performance?
I think suspension is a lot better, especially if you've got a bad back because otherwise you soon will.
Rear suspension complicates where you put the battery. You can get a seatpost-mounted rack that solves the problem.
My advice is to get a cheap bike with a strong frame. Then upgrade to decent suspension forks and whatever other bits you want. It's much harder to start with a decent bikes, because you might have to change some of the nice bits.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Can you tell me the route? PM me if you prefer not to divulge.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
What suspension forks would you recommend as an after-fit? Wide enough for a big motor (Crystalyte 5xxx series) not Ahead (ie with threaded stem)?

D

Deleted member 4366

What suspension forks would you recommend as an after-fit? Wide enough for a big motor (Crystalyte 5xxx series) not Ahead (ie with threaded stem)?
Rockshox Dart 3 for £65 - bargain
RockShox Dart 3 Suspension Forks

It worries me a bit, though, when you mention a Crystalyte motor. That would be fun down a bumpy road with no suspension. What are you trying to achieve with this build?

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Sanderstead Hill, Limpsfield Road, Slines Oak Road, Northdown Road. 18 holes of golf and then back. 6.1 miles each way.

D

Deleted member 4366

What suspension forks would you recommend as an ,after-fit? Wide enough for a big motor (Crystalyte 5xxx series) not Ahead (ie with threaded stem)?
Sorry, I wasn't concentrating - i didn't read all your post (as usual) and got a bit mixed up. I would still recommend these forks though. The spacers, star-nut and stem that you need to convert are cheap enough. For a Crystalyte, you might want to change to the motorbike type forks with two yokes, but they're not very stealthy - makes you look like a motorbike.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Found a reasonable bike for conversion £359 inc delivery

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-ALTUS-HYDRAULIC-DUAL-DISC-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-NEW-/150572336264?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item68c7519013

Just out off interest the sell a lead acid 24 volt bike for £399 and you can buy a spare battery to increase the range

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-E-POWER-ELECTRIC-24V-BIKE-CYCLE-MENS-D6350-/150584052797?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item230f824c3d

If you fit a rear Ezee Kit you will have a nice Nice Electric Bike

Or if you are on a budget

ebike kit

36V battery pack

Frank

Frank

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sanderstead Hill, Limpsfield Road, Slines Oak Road, Northdown Road. 18 holes of golf and then back. 6.1 miles each way.
I've always ridden these without suspension on the three e-bikes I've owned, and the unpowered ones prior to that, but the surfaces are very bad in places and unlikely ever to get consistently better. With most of my cycling history when bike suspension didn't exist, it doesn't worry me, but I can understand others feeling differently.

The outward bound is predominantly uphill and long in Sanderstead Hill and Slines Oak Road, quite steep in places, so a good climber is necessary. At least the return journey is much easier in consequence, so definitely the right way round after 18 holes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm looking for a bike as well for a Wisper DaaHub kit. weight is critical as no point in changing from present bike otherwise.....I have come to the conclusion that bikes with cheap suspension not worth the bother, that said others have said for not much money you can upgrade to decent spec forks. I am going to stick with a lightweight Hybrid without suspension as both our present bikes have no suspension and while I miss it a bit, weight and handling more important to me.......