Looking for Electric assist kit for my recumbent tadpole trike?

Ann Lewis

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Aberavon South Wales
Hi I am new to this forum and would like to know if there is an electric assist kit suitable for my Pashleypdq 3 tadpole trike. The trike has been adapted to under seat steering and a front triple chain ring which with the 3 speed up and 7 speed freewheel gives me 63 gears. I am struggling to ride my trike at the moment as my mobility problems have got worse. I Don,t want to give up cycling and have been thinking of putting an electric assist on my trike. I would prefer a crank driven or mid drive as I would like to keep my gears. I have been quoted £1500 for a Sun Star kit but its an awful lot of money considering the two batteries were £300 each and would only last 3 years. Would be grateful for any advice thank you

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Hi Ann,

your best bet is a rear wheel hub conversion, plenty of kits about. If you do a search for 'Twinkle' on here you should find some very good examples. I'm very envious of her skills, both building and the write ups!

John

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another vote for getting hold of 'twinkle'.

If anyone can provide sensible advice, she can.

Worth sending a private message, some members get email alerts when one lands.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would be careful with how much power you'd get from your kit. A BBS01 or a GSM seems a sensible choice to me too. You will need a BCD adapter to keep your triple front rings.