looking for electric folder.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't want a second hand one, I need a new one. I dont drive so I can't just round to someone's house to look at theirs. Again, I'm looking to buy NEW folding ebike on the loan scheme not a converted one.

People above stated there are alternatives to Brompton (new) but I've yet to see any posted here, please can I have suggestions on what I ask for, otherwise I'll be getting a Brompton, I'm going to a bike shop on Saturday, so don't have much time!

The "Information booklets", which many bus companies make available, pretty much describe the Brompton in all but name, when specifying limits of what folding bikes they are willing to allow, usually covered with a bag.

1lor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2021
The "Information booklets", which many bus companies make available, pretty much describe the Brompton in all but name, when specifying limits of what folding bikes they are willing to allow, usually covered with a bag.
I'm not sure about covering it with a bag, I would think it folded up is fine, I've seen it folded its quite impressive, seems to serve my purpose.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not sure about covering it with a bag, I would think it folded up is fine, I've seen it folded its quite impressive, seems to serve my purpose.
It depends on the bus company - when I looked into it a couple of years ago, Arriva for instance insisted on a bag when transporting folding bikes on their buses, and Bromptons were the only folding bike which would fit into the folded dimensions they specified. Best check with whatever bus company you normally use? There's usually a PDF info booklet somewhere on their websites.

Reactions: Woosh

1lor

Oct 10, 2021
It depends on the bus company - when I looked into it a couple of years ago, Arriva for instance insisted on a bag when transporting folding bikes on their buses, and Bromptons were the only folding bike which would fit into the folded dimensions they specified. Best check with whatever bus company you normally use? There's usually a PDF info booklet somewhere on their websites.
I can't see any bus company driver being bothered enough to ask. People transport items that are larger than a folded up brompton, no one is going to carry a bag for short journeys, long I could understand to protect the bike at the owners choice.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can't see any bus company driver being bothered enough to ask. People transport items that are larger than a folded up brompton, no one is going to carry a bag for short journeys, long I could understand to protect the bike at the owners choice.
I've seen a bus driver refuse to carry a folding bike, but it was a 26 inch wheeled folding mountain bike - unpleasant to watch. If there are a lot of buses on that route and if one bus driver refuses to carry your unbagged Brompton, you could always just wait for the next bus.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There aren't afaik any production ebikes that fold as neat as a brommy, so one has to go with an e -brommy (quite expensive) or opt for a brommy and have one converted (woosh will convert one with a kit) or simply buy one of the many samler ones on the market.

1lor

Oct 10, 2021
I've seen a bus driver refuse to carry a folding bike, but it was a 26 inch wheeled folding mountain bike - unpleasant to watch. If there are a lot of buses on that route and if one bus driver refuses to carry your unbagged Brompton, you could always just wait for the next bus.
That's a much larger bike than a brompton.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's a much larger bike than a brompton.
True, but arsey bus drivers are everywhere. Why DO some bus companies insist on a bag for folding bikes anyway? Could be some sort of health and safety assesment issue to do with sharp edges or something. Or mud/dirt. There's always some jobsworth...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

1lor

Oct 10, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ok ill worry about that when I get a bike
National Express buses simply state that it has to fold, yet I saw one folded mountain bike get refused:

Their coaches state that it has to be "Wrapped" and folded:

...some other bus companies are much more restrictive - they have to be tiny when folded, pretty much the Brompton only. Sometimes they must be bagged. Just FYI to be aware of.

1lor

Oct 10, 2021
National Express buses simply state that it has to fold, yet I saw one folded mountain bike get refused:

Their coaches state that it has to be "Wrapped" and folded:

...some other bus companies are much more restrictive - they have to be tiny when folded, pretty much the Brompton only. Sometimes they must be bagged. Just FYI to be aware of.
If I was travelling on national express I probably would bag it to protect the bike from damage. Mountain bikes are bigger and more ruggedly built.

Like I said ill worry about if presented.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
If you have access to 'Which' they tested folding ebike in September 21 and in December 19. The Brompton came top in both tests. Which test have come in for some criticism on Pedelecs but of course not everybody’s criteria will be the same as Which's or yours. You may be able to get access to the Which reviews at your local library. Worth a look if you can.

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
If you can afford it, you can't go wrong with an electric Brompton, although you may have to wait to get your hands on one. It's a neat package. Investigate the larger front bag option if you need carrying ability for shopping or clothing.

The other folders I've seen are very clunky in comparison, and much larger folded. Depreciation will be minimal, whilst other makers' offerings may plummet in value.

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Who said that? The point I'd make is that many other folders fold small enough to fit where they need to.
Check your earlier post 'not by much' is what you claimed when comparing folded size difference. The Brompton is much smaller than any other folder - except perhaps for the silly options like the Strida and the useless Sinclair one.

Call me what you like; 'fanboy' isn't a term I'd come across before, but I've had all of the mainstream folders and right now I have a Brompton, because it is the best for my purposes. The Birdy is a better ride, but is far larger and more cumbersome when folded.

The Brompton is fairly bulletproof mechanically - I can't comment on its electrics - and the hub gear set up is easy to maintain, as opposed to the cheap derailleur systems used on many competitors. A gripe is the unusual gear set up on the six-speed models, but that becomes more intuitive in time.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Call me what you like; 'fanboy' isn't a term I'd come across before
Its a term used by people in an attempt to pour derision on your choice when it differs from theirs. It's never used in a sense other than a negative one.

I know you said you want new, but what about a 2nd hand Brompton ? They hold their price pretty well but a 2nds along with something like a swytch conversion kit might give you the option you seek.
The standard Brompton would be X amount, the new conversion cost would still be well below an E-Brompton. Plus as I said, they are very popular, hold their price so if in the future you want something else, its a saleable commodity.

And it doesn't look like an abomination ;) (Like that one in the video)

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Thanks. I'd picked up on the negative vibe, but didn't give a toss. As a previous owner of several different folders, I'm qualified to express an informed opinion, whereas...

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Check your earlier post 'not by much' is what you claimed...
Call me what you like; 'fanboy'
Yes I said the Brompton folded "smaller than most but not by much". You mis-quoted that as "Brompton doesn't fold much smaller than average". On many mixed-mode commutes even using public transport, being "small enough" is sufficient, and 20" wheel e-bikes are IMHO more comfortable. And I called some on YouTube Brompton fanboys (obsessives) - whilst some users there had provided excellent reviews and coverage. Don't twist it.

As a previous owner of several different folders, I'm qualified to express an informed opinion, whereas...
...whereas some of us are actually commuting into the centre of London, across London, and out the other side using public transport - trains and tubes - using folding e-bikes which aren't Bromptons.

I have no experience of using busses as the OP intends though, so I backed out of the conversation at that point as others here do appear to.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Hi mate, never had a Brompton but would never dream of spending that kind of money .
I have a folding Fiido d4s had it about 15 months has not missed a beat, i dont ever fold mine so cant speak on that aspect, but i love mine great city commuter, at 650 to 700 quid its worth a look.
I got mudguards and a rear rack and some mini panniers on and it is perfect for nipping around town and doing the shopping, give it a gander.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

Last edited: