Looking for folder with suspension and hub gears - do they exist?

JohnMalc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2020
Droitwich Spa
Thanks Bob and (I think it's) Tony from Woosh. You're all being incredibly helpful and it's much appreciated.
I'll mull it all over at the weekend and try and come to a decision.
Thanks again, John.

Reactions: JuicyBike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The cheap suspension forks fitted to the bikes you are looking at add weight and very little else.

You will notice the quality KTM folder linked by Croxden does not have front suspension because KTM know it's useless on that type of bike.

What these bikes do have is 20" balloon tyres which, if run at the correct pressure, give you all the suspension you need.

Having said that, the quality Riese and Muller Tinker semi folder does have a decent quality suspension fork, but it will add very little suspension to that provided by the balloon tyres.

All folding ebikes are still heavy and unwieldy lumps.

Humping one into the back of a car is doable, but you will need a reasonably big car to fit two in.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Sibsbibs

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2020
Hi there, just a quick line to say that we've recently bought 3 Ramblettas from Woosh for our motorhome and couldn't be more pleased. The battery life is amazing, they're good and sturdy, the gears are very easy to use and are a pretty comfortable ride for folders. They've saved our sanity during lockdown - plenty of quiet country lanes where we live, so we've gone miles - about 30 is our furthest so far - without taxing the battery too much at all.

We're due to provide feedback to Hatti and Tony at Woosh, which we'll get round to soon, but just noticed this post and thought I'd reply.

The Rambletta seemed the best spec for the price and, since these are our first ebikes, we didn't want to spend a fortune in case we didn't get on with them. One day, we'll get to use them with the motorhome...

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I like the look of the Rambleta - no crappy suspension fork.

The 20" balloon tyres are very comfortable and capable.

The bike is easily good for rides as long as the battery will allow.

Sibsbibs

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2020
Yes - agreed - I did think of converting my Brompton I used for my commute until a recent job change, but wanted the larger wheels for longer rides. I do notice the difference - and given the battery life is so good - (didn't even use half its capacity after 30 miles judging by the gauge - even with only moderate effort from reasonably active but by no means super fit 50 somethings), we're now contemplating cycle tour weekends when lockdown is over. The battery and general sturdiness seem good enough for that. And since the batteries are comparatively cheap, we've ordered a spare for additional capacity for our daughter, or to enable us to both carry a spare for longer journeys. Definitely makes cycling in hilly areas fun rather than a chore.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Hope you find what you are looking for. I tried the Gocycle at the NEC last year. It breaks all the rules - front shocks with front hub motor (yet torque sensor), hub gears, you name it. Looked nothing like I'd ever ridden before and I found it insanely comfortable. Small wheels with squidgy tyres probably helped. Price and stealability put me off as a commuting bike but don't write it off if you get chance to try one.

JohnMalc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2020
Droitwich Spa
Just an update to say thank you to everyone who replied. We have now ordered 2 x Volt Metros and are having them delivered to On Your Bike in Birmingham (Sutton Coldfield) who were super helpful when we visited on Wednesday (thanks Jon). Hopefully we'll get them and get riding by this time next week.
Thank you again everyone.
John.