Help! Looking for folding ebike, a bit worried about power and hill climbing

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
You can sometimes get the best of both worlds by fitting a large front wheel and a smaller rear wheel. I always liked the more 'relaxed' or 'comfort' geometry that results from this.(Front higher, easier to put your feet on the ground, more stable etc). I am riding at the moment a Carrera Vengence with a 27.5 front and a rear 26 hub motor (XF15).
Called 'The Mullet' no idea where that name came from but its been about for an age.

Originally it was 26/24, mainly on the early DH types, then when 27.5" came in people put the 27.5" on the front, with a 26" rear, but I suspect they only did that because they didnt want the more expensive outlay of a rear 27.5".
29" swept the field clear of offroad wannabees and 27.5" died a death.
26" became the standard size for teenage kids bikes, along with 24" for the smaller kid.

27.5" is still around, but im not sure why really. Maybe frame manufacturers are just lazy

Laffin ebike

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2022
Hello pedelecs people,

I currently have a Cube touring ebike, with a Bosch mid drive motor. There are lots of things I love about it, but I am unable to fit it in my car or even most trains, so it really limits the use I get out of it. I originally bought it for commuting, but my circumstances changed, so I mainly use it for leisure trips on trails and the occasional ride in town. Due to my health deteriorating I can't do long rides, so I feel very limited by only being able to use it within a short distance of my house.

I've also moved house and don't have space to store it now, so it lives in the living room and it's a pain to take in and out.

So all of the above to say that I think the answer for me is a folder.

I've been doing lots of research and browsing the forums here, and I think Woosh or Wisper folders are my top contenders. Possibly Wisper due to the torque sensor, as I quite like the feel of that on my Cube.

However, my main worry is how would the power of these rear drive motors compare to my Cube. As mentioned, I have limited ability, can't put a huge amount of effort into pedalling. I understand that cadence sensor might be better in that scenario, but most of the time I get on well with the torque sensor on my current bike and I do enjoy the feel and the ride, so I'm a bit worried about switching to cadence.

I am also a larger rider, at around 100kg.

Sorry for all that background. I guess my question after all that is, what could I expect from the Wisper and Woosh in terms of power, compared to Bosch mid-drive motor? Especially on hill climbs. I worry that any less 'help' than what's given by my Cube would not be enough to allow me to ride regularly.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
I've got a Carrera Cross City folding E-bike .
Had it 2 and a half years now, it's ACE, like a little duracell bunny.