Looking to buy, at Ezebike £1.3k and Argos Chinese £550 any suggestions

Kestrel

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2019
Scotland
Howdy, looking to get my first ebike .. My mate has done colossal miles on Wispa Kalkhoff etc, ie 18k, and now is quite happy with his £550 china argos folder..
So now I must make up my mind, I have found these Ezebike
1000w £1.3k
They do have good selection of aesthetically appealing road bikes, but I think a mtb is wiser for me, being more stable sturdy, tho I wonder if the wider tyres would use more Oomph from the Battery?
Thing is the China has 1 yr guarantee on battery, batteries are real cheap to replace, plus the whole bike costs less than Eg a replacement Kalkhoff battery..
The Ezebike is British and is strong on power, but pricey..
Just wanted simple feedback/experience has anyone had either, know of any similarly priced/powered ones they care to recommend

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
An observation; it would not be legal without the correct licence and what that brings, to use a 1000W on UK or EU highways, so that also includes bridleways. The complications of getting it licenced could be a challenge.

D

Deleted member 25121

I agree with Ocsid, the ezebike claim that the bike is UK road legal is incorrect and I wouldn't trust them one inch.
If you are thinking of importing the Chinese bike yourself take a look at shipping costs plus import taxes and duty (anti-dumping duty can be as high as 80%).

Reactions: Kestrel

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Ezebikes looks big on claims but short on details. Those they do provide don’t look great to me. If you want to support a UK business with a good reputation on here I suggest you look at Wisper and Woosh.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Whatever they might say about de-restriction possibilities , the size of that rear motor would attract attention . As suggested look at the Woosh Range , they give support and advice to this Forum . We have a 7 year Woosh Santana in the Family and can vouch for battery longevity and reliability. It is still on the original battery with hardly any loss of range . They have a nice Folder coming out shortly called the Rambletta for £849 with an excellent Spec. as well as the bargain price .

Kestrel

May 21, 2019
Scotland
Yes Thankyou for those replies.. I am very pleased to learn of Woosh they look Great.. As do Wisper..
For the record the China £550 folder is sold in Argos currently awhile now, so I wouldn't have to import it..
Surprised at the dislike for Ezebike's, they look great, are competitively priced, British Made, warrantied etc etc
also they come Set at 250w, apparently one would have to derestrict it, then get insurance etc to be able to use it on UK roads....... Does the mention of more Power intimidate you
Anyhoo, I will report back here whence I acquire a battery bike
Woosh are looking appealing

D

Deleted member 25121

also they come Set at 250w, apparently one would have to derestrict it, then get insurance etc to be able to use it on UK roads....... Does the mention of more Power intimidate you
You wouldn't have to derestrict it but you would need to to get a license, tax, DVLC approval, insurance etc etc to use it on UK roads and any place where the public has access.
No idea by what you mean by "mention of more Power"?

Woosh is very active on here and is very helpful and knowledgable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The ezebike is British, the company may be. Though sounds a bit like they have ripped off the name of the longer well established China Ezee bike company. Every single component will be Chinese, likely the bike is spannered together in the UK to get over anti dumping reg's.

There are much better UK ebike brands like Wisper, Woosh, Juicy, Oxygen and Kudos. Again as with most ebikes all China components the difference is some of these bikes are designed in house by the said companies and now assembled in the UK/EU.

Reactions: Kestrel and Jonah

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Yes Thankyou for those replies.. I am very pleased to learn of Woosh they look Great.. As do Wisper..
For the record the China £550 folder is sold in Argos currently awhile now, so I wouldn't have to import it..
Surprised at the dislike for Ezebike's, they look great, are competitively priced, British Made, warrantied etc etc
Anyhoo, I will report back here whence I acquire a battery bike
Woosh are looking appealing
£1300 for that Ezebike monstrousity? Looks like it's been knocked up in someone's shed. If you've got £1300 to spend give your money to a reliable trusted brand.

• Agree
Reactions: Kestrel and RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oh dear, I thought the likes of that Eze bike had been evicted from the market.

A cheap and nasty Chinese direct drive kit clagged on to a cheap and nasty mountain bike.

Wholesale buying price for the whole lot about £300.

Wouldn't be so bad if they were charging £499 for it.

Kestrel

May 21, 2019
Scotland
Hey folks Thankyou so much for all your responses, you will be happy to hear both these are off the shopping list, now I know of all the other British Assemblers/Vendors and their more acceptable propositions..
It's Decision Time GOD give Me Wisdom
I will report back once the new machinery is acquired
Regards

Reactions: ebiker99

Kestrel

May 21, 2019
Scotland
Hey everybody The News is I bought a Woosh Big Bear 36v 17ah for £1249
Arrived yesterday and I have done around a dozen miles or so
I like it very much
It was exceedingly well packed and pristine
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me here or pm me
A Big Thanks to everyone who helped me see Clearly the Steps I needed to take and in what Direction