Looking to buy E-bike

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
Hi all,
Can you please help? I’m looking to buy a new electric bike. I’ve been looking at Carrera Crossfuse and the Raleigh Motus Crossbar. Would you mind advising me please as this is my first E-bike

thanks
Chris

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Welcome Chris!

There are members here that own and enthuse about both the Crossfuse and Motus models. Hopefully they'll see your post and comment, but you can also search the forum and find threads that discuss the merits of both.

Have you test ridden either? What best suits you is often a very personal choice, dependant upon your budget, needs, and expectations.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably similar bikes in the Cube range worth looking at.

We have a Motus that has served us well with a few very minor niggles. We chose it because we wanted step-through frame with hub gears and it was available 2nd hand, not because of any special benefits of Raleigh or Motus.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Hi

I have a Raleigh Motus GT step-through which I’ve been very pleased with. I was swayed towards the Motus because my brother in law has one and let me try it out, so when a local Raleigh dealer had a sale in January '20 I was able to get a good deal. Previously I had found some of the local dealers didn’t have demonstrators so would not to allow test rides which for me was essential before spending £2k. With the Motus I already knew what it was like.

I’m only a leisure cyclist doing 500+ miles a year but I enjoying riding again and find hills I used to have to get off and push as a teenager can easily be riden up even as an OAP.

Hope you find yourself a good deal and bike you enjoy.

Last edited:

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I have had a NCM Moscow for almost 3 years and 15000 km. No issues other than wear and tear. 48v battery, 29" wheels, has some punch and can be readily "tuned".Highly recommended and competively priced.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
I have had a NCM Moscow for almost 3 years and 15000 km. No issues other than wear and tear. 48v battery, 29" wheels, has some punch and can be readily "tuned".Highly recommended and competively priced.
Hi Jokskot,
Thanks for the reply, I will have a look. It’s so difficult as there are so many to choose from

regards

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
You haven't said what sort of riding you will be doing.

The Woosh Camino (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino) and Faro (https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro) are worth looking at. Quite a bit cheaper than the Motus etc, but good quality, very good value, and excellent customer support.
Hi Sjpt,

thank you for the reply, I’m commuting to work on the train. Will do approx 9 miles a day with some hills on the way. Thanks for the links above, I will have a look

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I’m commuting to work on the train.
I'm sure you've already looked into this (but just to be sure) and I'm assuming you intend to take your ebike on the train with you rather than locking it at the station (which I would never do!)...

Many train operating companies don't allow full sized bikes/ebikes to be carried during rush hour, although folding bikes/ebikes are usually allowed at any time. Even outside peak hours, many train companies still require you to book a space for your bike as (even though that's usually free) there may be limited space.

In my case, they allowed any sized bike without reservation and at any time because the older trains had a huge dedicated carriage space (Class 90 DVT). And then last year they introduced brand new trains with limited bike holding space so now you can't carry a full sized bike during peak hours and outside of those hours space now needs to be reserved. I had to buy a folding ebike last year just so I could take the ebike on the train at any time and it now fits into a normal luggage rack.

The point I'm making really is that even if you can take your bike on the train at the time you need for work now, you may find those rules change in the future as they did for me.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
I'm sure you've already looked into this (but just to be sure) and I'm assuming you intend to take your ebike on the train with you rather than locking it at the station (which I would never do!)...

Many train operating companies don't allow full sized bikes/ebikes to be carried during rush hour, although folding bikes/ebikes are usually allowed at any time. Even outside peak hours, many train companies still require you to book a space for your bike as (even though that's usually free) there may be limited space.

In my case, they allowed any sized bike without reservation and at any time because the older trains had a huge dedicated carriage space (Class 90 DVT). And then last year they introduced brand new trains with limited bike holding space so now you can't carry a full sized bike during peak hours and outside of those hours space now needs to be reserved. I had to buy a folding ebike last year just so I could take the ebike on the train at any time and it now fits into a normal luggage rack.

The point I'm making really is that even if you can take your bike on the train at the time you need for work now, you may find those rules change in the future as they did for me.
Hi Cyclebuddy,
Thank you for the reply, you are correct with this information and at the moment the train I use does have dedicated carriages for bikes however like you said this might change. With this in mind I have also been looking at folding electric bikes but there are so many to choose from as like the full size bikes it’s so difficult to choose. Any recommendations on this would be appreciated
Regards

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Folder ... From the Woosh stable again: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta
It doesn't fold very small, you may have difficulty with it on a train. Bikes like the Brompton come in much more expensive.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
So many TOC's are updating their trains, either with brand new ones or else those cascaded from other regions, which introduces a whole new set of bike-carrying rules according to available space. Eg: Every train in the East Anglia region (where I am) was last year swapped out for brand new ones. I can't complain about the improved comfort and journey time, but the bike rules became very restrictive almost without warning. Just a couple of weeks ago, an e-scooter caught fire on a London Tube train and overnight they were all suddenly banned... e-bikes may follow?

I bought a Fiido D11 - £800. It may not be for everyone but it suits my 8-mile each way commute perfectly, weighs only 17kg, and it fits a normal train luggage rack when folded. There is a D21 version with Torque sensor for £900. I do also have 2 full sized e-bikes (similar to the crossfuse) for leisure riding.

D11 Small.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Sjpt,

thank you for the reply, I’m commuting to work on the train. Will do approx 9 miles a day with some hills on the way. Thanks for the links above, I will have a look
The Woosh Faro is easiest to carry in and out of trains and up a few steps.
As Cyclebuddy said, check the rules, you may not be allowed to take it into trains at the time you want to go as it does not fold like the Rambletta.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
So many TOC's are updating their trains, either with brand new ones or else those cascaded from other regions, which introduces a whole new set of bike-carrying rules according to available space. Eg: Every train in the East Anglia region (where I am) was last year swapped out for brand new ones. I can't complain about the improved comfort and journey time, but the bike rules became very restrictive almost without warning. Just a couple of weeks ago, an e-scooter caught fire on a London Tube train and overnight they were all suddenly banned... e-bikes may follow?

I bought a Fiido D11 - £800. It may not be for everyone but it suits my 8-mile each way commute perfectly, weighs only 17kg, and it fits a normal train luggage rack when folded. There is a D21 version with Torque sensor for £900. I do also have 2 full sized e-bikes (similar to the crossfuse) for leisure riding.

View attachment 45624
That looks a nice bike to be fare. I’m travelling in the West Midlands area and like you said the trains are ok at the moment however this might change. I really do appreciate your advice. I will be looking at this bike thank you

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
The Woosh Faro is easiest to carry in and out of trains and up a few steps.
As Cyclebuddy said, check the rules, you may not be allowed to take it into trains at the time you want to go as it does not fold like the Rambletta.
I looked at the Woosh, and I’m a bit vertically challenged at 5ft6 and they state it’s for 5ft 8 to 6ft 2. Might of read it wrong so will have another look. Thanks again

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
That looks a nice bike to be fare. I’m travelling in the West Midlands area and like you said the trains are ok at the moment however this might change. I really do appreciate your advice. I will be looking at this bike thank you

View attachment 45624
The FIIDO X Folding Electric Bike looks nice too.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I’m travelling in the West Midlands area and like you said the trains are ok at the moment however this might change.
Starting this year, West Midlands have 62 brand new trains being delivered (Class 196's & 730's) which, if they're on your route, only have spaces for 3 full-sized bikes (but they say you can take a folding bike on any train at any time). Of course, the trains running those routes at the moment may get moved onto another (possibly your) route!

Best you read West Midlands current cycle policy here. It includes the line "e-bikes and e-scooters can not be carried onboard our trains at any time". Is that enforced?

Yes, the Fiido X has just been released. It has some nice features. I'm not a fan of the OTT locking system though.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
Starting this year, West Midlands have 62 brand new trains being delivered (Class 196's & 730's) which, if they're on your route, only have spaces for 3 full-sized bikes (but they say you can take a folding bike on any train at any time). Of course, the trains running those routes at the moment may get moved onto another (possibly your) route!

Best you read West Midlands current cycle policy here. It includes the line "e-bikes and e-scooters can not be carried onboard our trains at any time". Is that enforced?

Yes, the Fiido X has just been released. It has some nice features. I'm not a fan of the OTT locking system though.
Again thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I’ve looked at the policy and I believe it’s not being enforced as I see many electric bikes and E- scooters on board every day. I might just ask the question to there customer services. Did you purchase the Fiido on line or from a shop? Just wondering about a test ride if from a shop.