Looking to buy soon..

TCN

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2012
Hello everyone, after lurking for a month i thought i'd register and join the forum as i'm nearer to purchasing my first e-bike. I presume this is the most established forum for electric bikes on the internet? Though it's a very slow moving forum, with only a few dedicated posters, it's a shame that it's this way as i'm very fascinated by the stories, experiences and reviews of people that's already made the move onto e-bikes, it greatly helps and puts into perspective for us newbies who's looking into taking the plunge. For those experienced e-bikers and posters, please continue to post your experiences and review updates as i can honestly say the majority of non forum members who passes through find your posts very helpful and informative.

I havn't ridden a bike since i was a teen, now in my thirties and back from a recent trip to Amsterdam where we hired bikes to ride around Vondelpark i was hooked on the long forgotten pleasures of bike riding. Also nursing a driving ban, i thought i'd take the plunge and cycle to work instead of public transport but as work is 13 miles away and there is no shower facilities, cycling didn't look as attractive until a friend suggested electric bikes..!! I can get to work fresh and also just leisurely enjoy the journey each time.

Now i'm in the very, very fortunate position of having a canal right outside my house that runs all the way to work, it's the Tame Valley Canal in Birmingham, for those who's cycled on it, can you comment on your experiences of riding along it? This is a huge plus as i didn't quite fancy cycling on the roads to work, for one i'm not confident of riding in traffic during rush hour.

Without waffling on too much, I've narrowed the choices down to two bikes that i'm very interested in, the Wisper 906 Alpino and the Oxygen Emate Supreme. Edinburghcycles is currently selling the 906 Alpino for 1599 which is very tempting, i assume that they are getting rid of old stock to get ready for the new 2013 models??

C

Cyclezee

Hi TCN,

Welcome to the forum, your comments are interesting.

Just to let you know that we have several eZee models that are in the price range of those that you are considering to buy, we feel they offer excellent value for money.

Perhaps you might like to take a couple of minutes to check the range of eZee bikes on our website by clicking here electric bikes and conversion kits - Home

Regards,

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi...welcome to the forum :)

......"very slow moving forum "....hmmmm....stick around.....you obviously havent seen us when we are in full flow ROFLOL

Lynda :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Hi TCN.

Can't help you on the choice of bikes but just wanted to say a huge congratulations for deciding to get an eBike - if you're still on a driving ban you'll probably get a new lease in life having far more freedom and not having to depend on public transport or lifts. Will give you a load more flexibility out of work too and the cycling is great for mental and physical well-being. Biggest dilemma you might face is whether to get back behind a steering wheel after you've started feeling great and fallen in love with your bike :) !

If you haven't cycled in years bar a short stint on holiday, 13 miles will likely still feel like a workout for a while and you'll probably work up some considerable heat (even in the Winter ;) ), so I'd cost out and put some budget aside for some cycling clothes you can change out of / into when you get to work, a decent bag or two for your stuff and some good safety and security gear. Sounds obvious but if you don't have much good / compatible kit and accessories to move over to a new bike, it can all add up to a very hefty outlay ... as I am fast finding out the hard way !

Best of luck - just do it :cool: .. I haven't regretted taking the plunge for a minute .. recently sold my car too so no more picking up parking tickets like brochures in a Tourist Office and crippling trips to the Service Station. The relief is immeasurable !

PS - a packet of these in your bag or pannier for if you have to change could be next best thing to a shower at work .. I used to use them when travelling on long car trips abroad in remoter areas when driving in shifts with no stops / shower facilities - cheap enough and remarkably effective ! ;)

http://www.thehealthcounter.com/view/detail/9228/?utm_medium=product_feed&utm_source=google&utm_content=pla_3623766&utm_term=

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi TCN.
PS - a packet of these in your bag or pannier for if you have to change could be next best thing to a shower at work .. I used to use them when travelling on long car trips abroad in remoter areas when driving in shifts with no stops / shower facilities - cheap enough and remarkably effective ! ;)

Pampers Sensitive Baby Wipes x56
Nice one Alex,

I did wonder what was coming there;)

TCN,

You might also be interested in a used bike for your entry to the world of electric bikes, we currently have an eZee Sprint 8 with dual batteries available, you can find out more here http://www.cyclezee.com/used-electric-bikes.html

Last edited by a moderator:

TCN

Sep 29, 2012
I apologise if the forum is not slow moving, it just seems like it does compared to other forums :)

Thanks for your input Alex, your comments have certainly raised my eyebrows as you've mentioned that even using an electric bike, i'd still generate considerable heat if i was to cycle 13 miles to work, i was under the impression that i would arrive to work sweat free and fresh as a daisy. Is this because the route you take yourself to work has many hills and a considerably lengthy journey? I plan to use the canal that i've mentioned to commute, so the terrain will mostly be flat, half paved, half rough terrain.

Cyclezee, thanks for your links, i have considered eZee bikes though i'm not as keen on the aesthetics of them as the others, not to say that they don't perform as good, but this is just my opion and i'm sure we all have our own styling preferences.

C

Cyclezee

Cyclezee, thanks for your links, i have considered eZee bikes though i'm not as keen on the aesthetics of them as the others, not to say that they don't perform as good, but this is just my opion and i'm sure we all have our own styling preferences.
Hi TCN,

Thank you for your observations, my response is that eZee bikes are more about substance, i.e., performance, durability, reliability and value for money.

I think if you look at the specifications, eZee bikes are up there if not ahead of the majority of hub motored bikes on the market.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I have to say Im a bit puzzled by your comments about aesthetics as I think the Ezee bikes look very similar in style to the wisper you are interested in.
I have tried both makes and I did find that the Ezee bike was very impressive indeed, my advice would be to definitely try as many different bikes as you can before buying.
Also try some crank drives too for comparison.....I love my Tonaro.......but I believe there are other crank driven models available :D
But I have to say, the Ezee was the most powerful hub motor bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding.
Good luck anyway with your search and I envy you your canal tow path :)

Lynda :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Canal paths are great until there's an angling competition.
In your price bracket there's too much choice now. Nothing wrong with either of those on your shortlist and most of the others that aren't. It's easier to choose if you have specific requirements, otherwise choose the one that's the nicest colour.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hi and welcome TCN, what with your canal and all the floods etc you mebe better with a speedboat eh?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for your input Alex, your comments have certainly raised my eyebrows as you've mentioned that even using an electric bike, i'd still generate considerable heat if i was to cycle 13 miles to work, i was under the impression that i would arrive to work sweat free and fresh as a daisy. Is this because the route you take yourself to work has many hills and a considerably lengthy journey? I plan to use the canal that i've mentioned to commute, so the terrain will mostly be flat, half paved, half rough terrain.
My rides at the moment are usually a mix of terrains with some gradual inclines some hills (places of work vary !) so that's maybe a factor - your flat route reduces effort enormously. Fitness improves pretty fast but when you do something you haven't done for ages you do work out muscles that get 'slack' over the years ! There's also issue of clothing (haven't tried cycling in work clothes - still in shorts and far more comfortable despite the onset of Autumn !).

Perhaps it's more about speed. A leisurely 10mph over that distance would make for a pretty long ride - with a crank drive you'd be pedaling all of it, albeit assisted all the way. Ramp it up to 15mph (no boy racer speeds but steady enough) and journey time plummets ... but your power's usually tailing off at that speed so to maintain it you have to work a bit harder (a lot harder on a hill !). So guess you could drop the speed down, stay on the flat and keep everything fresh as a daisy ...

Cue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxRDTfzgpU

but if you have a bike that'll operate unassisted, you'll have a good deal more patience than I if you manage to resist testing out the higher gears and getting there a bit faster over a 13-mile trip ! :D

C

Cyclezee

It's easier to choose if you have specific requirements, otherwise choose the one that's the nicest colour.
If colour is high in the list of priorities when choosing a bike, we have the Google colours of blue, red, yellow and green, plus black, white and silver.;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A tow path is a mixed user path, so I think the OP will struggle to maintain much speed, irrespective of fitness.

Dog walkers, children and the like won't want the OP hammering past at 15mph+.

Might be worth checking if some of the journey can be done at speed on ordinary roads.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
A tow path is a mixed user path, so I think the OP will struggle to maintain much speed, irrespective of fitness.

Might be worth checking if some of the journey can be done at speed on ordinary roads.
Not forgetting bridges etc which you really dont want to go under fast as if you do eventually you will meet someone coming the other day (usually impossible to see what is coming) and end up in the canal. Which is the end of your bike or at least the electrics.

Also if there are any tunnels you will almost certainly need to walk through as even with lights they are difficult to cycle through due to uneven surfaces and lack of head room.

You will also really need a mountain bike (or a good hybrid) as while canal towpaths are flat they can be wet and muddy even in built up areas and will need to change clothes at work for same reason.

Love cycling along towpaths but not sure id want to do 13 miles each way for work along one.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

Very good points :) ... said paths are not something I'm especially familiar with - and from the post below yours, sounds like some rekky work to check conditions along the whole length might be a good plan !

Found these vids on the internet - not sure if the sections are part of the intended route, but does give some clues - likely not an especially fast route and definitely not a place to take a fall at the edge of the canal !

https://sites.google.com/site/westmidscycle/video-s-the-tame-valley-canal

That's likely to help keep the journey time a bit more manageable, especially in Winter !

Also might be worth checking if there are any 'on-kerb' cycle paths running alongside major roads / urban dual carriageways which might be a good alternative and possibly better lit if dark... or alternative routes on quieter roads. I'm not a big fan of the cycle paths parallel to the main roads locally to be honest, because you keep having to cross adjoining side-roads and can't sustain a steady pace. However, if the traffic is really heavy they can be a welcome reprieve from being overtaken (badly) by impatient drivers for a spell... and they'd sure beat a muddy path on a work commute !

Road cycling in urban areas gets easier and less intimidating with practice. Especially with all that "oomph" under your feet when you pull away at junctions or utilise a break in traffic on a right turn.. Even after a few shorter journeys, confidence can build quickly.. just get your bike and gear well fitted out with lights and reflective kit in the dark and wear something hi-viz in the day.

Last edited:

TCN

Sep 29, 2012
I've come across those vids of the Tame Valley already Alex, they give a good idea of the type of terrain i should be expecting. I intend to get a normal cheap bike just so that i can check out the intended route along the canal on a test run. My main concerns is falling into the canal which is a real possibility.

Alternatively i could ride on the roads on the way to work in the morning, which i'm likely to set off at 6:45am so less traffic to scare me, then in the afternoon i can ride the canal on the way back home at a more leisurely pace as there would be more people on the canal and also i'm away from the rush hour angry drivers.

The most important thing for me is that it has to be an enjoyable commute. I'm already hating public transport so at the moment anything is better than having to wait around for buses everyday, especially during school season when buses tend to be crammed full of teenage school kids. Only after a few weeks of cycling to work will i know if it's worth it or not.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
, i'd still generate considerable heat if i was to cycle 13 miles to work, i was under the impression that i would arrive to work sweat free and fresh as a daisy. Is this because the route you take yourself to work has many hills and a considerably lengthy journey? I plan to use the canal that i've mentioned to commute, so the terrain will mostly be flat, half paved, half rough terrain.
Both the bikes you mention would complete a 13 mile flat commute on throttle only, without a single rotation of the pedals if you prefer, so no 'sweat issues'. Steep hills will require pedalling and will generate heat, but you should be fine on a towpath.

Last edited:

paulhipwood

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
Dear TCN

I cycle to work 13 miles each way, the last couple of miles are on the Stourbridge canal. Canals are OK but there are
Dog walker - I virtually crawl past them - I think its important to build a relationship with the people you are likely to see each day. I even stop and chat to a few.
Walkers - ditto
Fishermen - ditto - have to watch for carbon rods on the path.
Locks - some have steps and I have to dismount.
Bridges - watch your head.
Mud - have to be carefull, easy to loose the front driven wheel.
Dark - need to invest in good lights - just spent £90.
Canal - not a worry the chances of falling in is slim.
Sweat - No shower but take a complete change of clothes and have a stip wash, splashing water everywhere. Promised a shower but has not turned up.
Rain - you will get wet but dress properly you will not be miserable.
Wind - do not notice it now.
Milage - 2500 this year so far.

Tell us how you get on
regards
paul

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I intend to get a normal cheap bike just so that i can check out the intended route along the canal on a test run.

The most important thing for me is that it has to be an enjoyable commute. I'm already hating public transport so at the moment anything is better than having to wait around for buses everyday, especially during school season when buses tend to be crammed full of teenage school kids.
A friend with a spare regular bike would come in handy to test the route ! Strongly advise doing the test run soon as you get the chance, especially on a not-so-great day (weather-wise) ... will really highlight a whole bunch of stuff to think about that no amount of desktop planning can ever achieve ! Paulhipwood's post below looks really useful.

Hang on to that hate of public transport if it seems harder than you had in your head when you first try .. I got caught in an unexpected hailstorm which came out of nowhere on the final 3-mile dual-carriageway stretch of a 13-mile trip a couple of days ago, and rode through it dressed completely inappropriately, to arrive somewhat less composed than I had anticipated. A real "why am I doing this again ?" moment. When the skies cleared to the rain and hail-free conditions that were forecast, just about when I got where I was going, I found a text from a friend on my phone which included the words "hope it goes well - enjoy the journey as well as the destination".

On my way back the heavens opened. (took a 16 mile route up and down the hills to avoid said hellish dual-carriageway with dark drawing in, still in cotton shorts, managing to get lost twice !). Never been a fan of rain or cold - last few years have been lucky enough to be abroad in sunnier climes a great deal. I was soaked again and got home with very numb and icy fingers. Thought about that text in the middle of it all and realized my friend was right - and now I really was enjoying the journey. I was not stuck in a traffic jam in rush-hour chain-smoking at the wheel with boredom and frustration or cowering under a bus stop waiting to sit out the trip around a load of coughing and sneezing adults or rowdy kiddies.

My lungs were full of fresh air and I felt alive and happy... when I got home I enjoyed the destination all the more - especially the hot cup of tea and electronic cigarette refill ! A hearty dinner was all the more enjoyable - felt I really deserved it :D

Lessons learned, spent today getting some sensible clothes in for Winter riding and fitting some 'flatless' tyres and anti-puncture inner tubes on the bike * - really wouldn't want to have to sort out a puncture in weather like that so doing all I can to minimize the chances. But one way or another I'm not turning back - it's bike all the way this Winter :)

* : [cough ... took about 2 1/2 hours and a mini-workout to inflate them, with the help of a YouTube "How to change a tyre" video & the 'User Manual' on how to get the wheels off involving disconnecting brakes, gears and dynamo... have to admit I've never actually done any of this stuff on a bike before but it seemed to be running great this evening. Fingers crossed I'll know what to do next time ! ]

Tell us how you get on
+1

Last edited: