Loose headstock haibike

Phil electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2018
Luton UK
When going downhill on my haibike and particularly using the front brake I can feel some slack in the headstock (the steering bearings) looking down the side of headstock I cannot see any obvious nuts BUT in middle of handlebars is an Allen key socket ~ is it just a matter of tightening that??

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Firstly, slacken the bolts that clamp the handlebar stem to the fork tube.
Next, lightly tighten the centre screw in the top cap/cover, make sure you don't over tighten the bearings.
Re-align the handlebars and forks to straight ahead position, tighten/torque the stem bolts.

Reactions: Eagle

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
When going downhill on my haibike and particularly using the front brake I can feel some slack in the headstock (the steering bearings) looking down the side of headstock I cannot see any obvious nuts BUT in middle of handlebars is an Allen key socket ~ is it just a matter of tightening that??
There are several different types nowadays, an answer that fits all is not possible to my mind.
Check this link below to identify your model and/or make a clear photo for us all.
Headset adjustment is actually quite easy to do.....and many websites detail it better than I can!!
Most today need the clamp for the handlebar itself loosened to achieve the adjustment, my opinion only!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset_(bicycle_part)
regards
Andy

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Exactly as JPGiant has advised.
Here is a video explanation:
Using the front brake as a test of bearing play as described in the clip, isn't actually a very efficient or correct way of checking for free play, as it doesn't take into account the flex within a brake system.

The most effective way is to place the front wheel against a wall and then push forward to feel for flex.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Using the front brake as a test of bearing play as described in the clip, isn't actually a very efficient or correct way of checking for free play, as it doesn't take into account the flex within a brake system.

The most effective way is to place the front wheel against a wall and then push forward to feel for flex.
Great Video!!
Andy

Phil electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2018
Luton UK
Cheers all it's MILES better! It really only manifested itself when going down a steep rough concrete path (actually a footpath) and it's lovely now!

BTW the pressing bike against wall to test is a bit inconclusive best way I think it's to ride a fairly quick pace and put on front brake sharply.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Eddies suggestion is a good sound check and would do that first then use a test ride to find out.