lost keys haibike

hullcity

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2020
had my e bike 5 weeks lost keys for battery
bike shop told me that the code is not on the diagnostic bosch intuvia
all Raleigh said was they would send a new barrel and keys but would have to replace it myself
bike shop said they dont know how to do it
you would think the key code would b on the system of my bike
is there anyway i can access the system for my bike for the keycode
thanks if any 1 can help

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the key code is on the key so if you have lost it then you need a new barrel if the batt is on the bike you will have to drill out the lock or find some one that can pick it to remove the batt

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
The keys should have had a card attached. That card has the code for ABUS to make/send a new key.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
had my e bike 5 weeks lost keys for battery
bike shop told me that the code is not on the diagnostic bosch intuvia
all Raleigh said was they would send a new barrel and keys but would have to replace it myself
bike shop said they dont know how to do it
you would think the key code would b on the system of my bike
is there anyway i can access the system for my bike for the keycode
thanks if any 1 can help
Guessing only and assuming its a small cylinder lock, but most bike keys/locks that I have seen, are usually quite simple, and just about any (even an amateur) locksmith will allow the lock to be opened and the battery removed, making replacement of the barrel simple.
Drilling is an option, but done badly, may damage the part of the battery casing that is needed to hold the (new) lock in place for proper operation.
My having worked as a locksmith after retirement for the best part of a year, I use a Dremel with a special cutter, to cut through the part of the lock where the tiny moving parts and springs are, thus allowing the lock to be turned with a large flat bladed screwdriver.
Boring out with a drill, just leaves a large hole, that is difficult to "get a grip on" and turn, to release the battery.
This guy shows just how easy such similar locks can be picked, with a relatively tiny bit of (picking) knowledge:-
Here are some pictures from Wiki showing how almost any simple cylinder lock operates:. The 2nd picture shows how the lock is blocked when the wrong key is used.
The third picture show what happens when the right key is inserted:-
1 200px-Pin_tumbler_no_key.svg.png2 200px-Pin_tumbler_bad_key.svg.png3 200px-Pin_tumbler_with_key.svg.png4 200px-Pin_tumbler_unlocked.svg.png
It is IMHO, not as needing "skills" as many people hope for, but which many thieves are not able to achieve!
If you are going to drill, you just need about a high speed drill of around 3mm in diameter, and to drill along the line between the blue and the red tumblers are, releasing them all.
You may need to follow the same hole with a 6mm drill, to get all the "bits" removed. But remember, I do not recommend drilling!
A locksmith is the better option.
I wish you luck.
Andy
PS. This method below works as long as the right size "Rake" can be found, but I would guess that your cylinder is very small, therefore the right size tool may be difficult to obtain:-

Last edited:

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Let us hope it is not a stolen bike that everyone is giving advice about( not saying the bike is stolen) but this type of advice given out to someone who has just joined does nothing towards keeping our bikes safe.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Let us hope it is not a stolen bike that everyone is giving advice about( not saying the bike is stolen) but this type of advice given out to someone who has just joined does nothing towards keeping our bikes safe.
A point, but as all the information is already on the web, does it make a difference in the long run?
I would expect a thief to not go online for such infos from us here....not 100% of course, but he comes over as being honest for me personally.
Andy

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
When you get something with a key, first job is to GET A SPARE CUT, and leave the spare at home, with your other spare keys.
Most locks come with 2, but IMO 2 is one too few. My only exception is the sort of car keys they issue these days, where acquiring an extra spare requires electronic brain surgery and costs half as much as a new car.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When you get something with a key, first job is to GET A SPARE CUT, and leave the spare at home, with your other spare keys.
Most locks come with 2, but IMO 2 is one too few. My only exception is the sort of car keys they issue these days, where acquiring an extra spare requires electronic brain surgery and costs half as much as a new car.
The cost of those keys are expensive if you go to a main dealer, my Mrs cuts and programs the keys at the family L/Smith business and charges a fraction of the dealer prices.
Like those Timpkin pop up cowboy places you see stuck in retail parks everywhere, the amount of customers that the wife's family get because the cowboys simply can't cut keys properly or they use the incorrect key blank. For the price Timpkins charge peeps can get two keys done properly for the same price.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Guessing only and assuming its a small cylinder lock, but most bike keys/locks that I have seen, are usually quite simple, and just about any (even an amateur) locksmith will allow the lock to be opened and the battery removed, making replacement of the barrel simple.
Drilling is an option, but done badly, may damage the part of the battery casing that is needed to hold the (new) lock in place for proper operation.
My having worked as a locksmith after retirement for the best part of a year, I use a Dremel with a special cutter, to cut through the part of the lock where the tiny moving parts and springs are, thus allowing the lock to be turned with a large flat bladed screwdriver.
Boring out with a drill, just leaves a large hole, that is difficult to "get a grip on" and turn, to release the battery.
This guy shows just how easy such similar locks can be picked, with a relatively tiny bit of (picking) knowledge:-
Here are some pictures from Wiki showing how almost any simple cylinder lock operates:. The 2nd picture shows how the lock is blocked when the wrong key is used.
The third picture show what happens when the right key is inserted:-
View attachment 37281View attachment 37282View attachment 37283View attachment 37284
It is IMHO, not as needing "skills" as many people hope for, but which many thieves are not able to achieve!
If you are going to drill, you just need about a high speed drill of around 3mm in diameter, and to drill along the line between the blue and the red tumblers are, releasing them all.
You may need to follow the same hole with a 6mm drill, to get all the "bits" removed. But remember, I do not recommend drilling!
A locksmith is the better option.
I wish you luck.
Andy
PS. This method below works as long as the right size "Rake" can be found, but I would guess that your cylinder is very small, therefore the right size tool may be difficult to obtain:-
You couldn't pick a better lock. Now, where did I put my coat?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
You couldn't pick a better lock. Now, where did I put my coat?
Are you mixing stuff up? I mentioned twice to get a locksmith, or did you miss that?
The locks used on batteries for bikes, are IMHO cheapos, at least the ones I have seen, mailbox locks..... Just as the video showed.
Are you confusing that with a high quality chain type Bike lock?
There is a world of difference....
Locks vary in quality and price....drastically.
You just learned something useful for a biker!
Have a great day!
Andy

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Are you mixing stuff up? I mentioned twice to get a locksmith, or did you miss that?
The locks used on batteries for bikes, are IMHO cheapos, at least the ones I have seen, mailbox locks..... Just as the video showed.
Are you confusing that with a high quality chain type Bike lock?
There is a world of difference....
Locks vary in quality and price....drastically.
You just learned something useful for a biker!
Have a great day!
Andy
Oh dear..... Snigger. Chortle. Guffaw.

• :D
Reactions: wheeliepete

hullcity

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2020
The keys should have had a card attached. That card has the code for ABUS to make/send a new key.
strange never got a card with my keys the code for the keys supposed to be on the diagnostic bosch intuvia which the shop downloads on to there computer but theres no keycode

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
strange never got a card with my keys the code for the keys supposed to be on the diagnostic bosch intuvia which the shop downloads on to there computer but theres no keycode
I have not heard of that, plus it would not discourage theft, if someone can just get the key code from the display. When I purchased my Bosch ebike, 2 keys with the code card on a ring came with it. If the shop did not supply this, you may have cause to make them pay for a new lock.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
I have taken photos, phone camera, of my battery keys as they have numbers engraved on them. Also photographed my frame number, battery details and distinguishing features ( read scratch's and minor scuffs) on my bike. Thanks to Google there are at least 2 copies of said photos "in the Cloud".

Reactions: Samcycles

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A good locksmith who can obtain the correct blank should be able to duplicate a new key . My inlaws business imports and supplies keys to the trade so any key should be able to be obtained.