Help! Loud noise coming from bike motor

hazelrichardson1996

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2020
Hi,

i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing the noise to come from the front wheel motor on my bike. it is making quite a loud noise while the bike is being ridden and almost sounds like a motor bike. The noise only started on friday and once the motor stops the bike is almost silent. I also noticed that the bike is shaking a bit too when being ridden.
I have uploaded a video of the noise here

It only seems to make the noise while i'm riding it. if I flip the bike upside down and turn the peddles the motor spins and sounds normal.

My inner tube suddenly got a puncture this evening while at home so need to buy a replacement before I do more testing but could the issue simply be a slow puncture that I didn't notice?

I have checked the spokes which all seem to be ok so they aren't the issue.

My bike motor is 1 year old, done 1000 miles and is from Panda Ebikes.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It appears to sound electrical check the motor phase connectors are tight, if bullet type pinch the females up a bit so they are a firm tight fit. There should be a motor connector 10 - 12" from the hub make sure it is fully together.

Reactions: hazelrichardson1996

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi,

i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing the noise to come from the front wheel motor on my bike. it is making quite a loud noise while the bike is being ridden and almost sounds like a motor bike. The noise only started on friday and once the motor stops the bike is almost silent. I also noticed that the bike is shaking a bit too when being ridden.
I have uploaded a video of the noise here

It only seems to make the noise while i'm riding it. if I flip the bike upside down and turn the peddles the motor spins and sounds normal.

My inner tube suddenly got a puncture this evening while at home so need to buy a replacement before I do more testing but could the issue simply be a slow puncture that I didn't notice?

I have checked the spokes which all seem to be ok so they aren't the issue.

My bike motor is 1 year old, done 1000 miles and is from Panda Ebikes.

Thanks
Have you still got a guarantee? If yes, contact the seller.
regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've heard that noise twice before. One time was when the disc fixing screws were the wrong length, so reached the rotation rotor inside the case. If you have a disc and have done anything to it recently, then that's the cause. The other time was when a screw came loose deep inside the motor.

An electrical connection fault is a possibility, but that noise tends to come and go depending on the amount of power, so I I've got a feeling that you need to dismantle the motor to find out what's touching inside.

hazelrichardson1996

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2020
Thanks for the advice everyone. After doing some testing in my garden I have noticed that the wheel axle is slipping from the fork then getting jammed at an angle so I think something has gotten worn out. I will put a different fork on my bike tomorrow to see if that fixes the issue before I start to dismantle the motor. unfortunately I don't think I still have guarantee and it appears the company I brought the bike from is no longer around.