Love my Wisper...hate its squeaky brakes...

TopazA

Just Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Hello all, I've had a Wisper since February and it's been a life-changing experience. I have swapped public transport for London traffic and may be one of the few people to welcome the closure of Hammersmith Bridge because local roads are much quieter. The bike is fantastic but I have had endless problems with squeaking brakes. The rear one had a problem from the off, and the work cycle scheme paid for the £20 servicing charge. Since then I've had to have them cleaned/sorted three times at further cost but the noise returns in short order. My local very good independent shop can't actually access Wisper pads, which is one problem, but the right brake also seems to lose pressure/grip and I'm worried it's a leaking caliper. I wonder - has anyone here had the same problem? Are wispers known for shrieking brakes? Do I just have to live with them?!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's very common for brakes to squeal and make other noises, especially after it's rained and even worse in the winter when you get salty water on them. Some pads and discs are worse than others, so try different ones until the noise goes. Discs and pads don't cost much..

If your brake keep losing performance, it's probably because it's not adjusted right and binding or one of the cylinders is sticking.

When you say that you had the brakes cleaned, did they take the calipers off and clean out the crud around the cylinders or just spray the discs with brake cleaner? It's best to do it yourself, them you know it's done properly. It's only two screws. To adjust the brakes or reassemble the caliper, you loosen the two screws, hold the brake on, then tighten the screws.

One more important point. I've seen a few where the axle spacing wasn't right so the disc didn't line up properly with the caliper. This means that when you loosen the screws, the caliper is right up one side of the slots instead of in the middle. You can adjust that with the washers on the axle. It might be worth loosening the screws a few turns to see where they sit in the slots.

Another thing that makes brakes sing is when the mounting system isn't rigid enough. That's more a point of frame and mount design. The only thing you can do with that is change the disc size and the mount adapter to match. That will change its natural resonance frequency and stop the singing.

You haven't got a leak.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
the right brake also seems to lose pressure/grip and I'm worried it's a leaking caliper
Try an elastic band round the lever and bar to keep the brake tightly on overnight for a few nights, this allows any air which may be present in the system to make it's way to the top and may firm up the brake.
Dave.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Try an elastic band round the lever and bar to keep the brake tightly on overnight for a few nights, this allows any air which may be present in the system to make it's way to the top and may firm up the brake.
Dave.
You have to make sure that the hose is uphill all the way as well, otherwise any air gets stuck in the bend. that's a good tip but I doubt that it's air causing OP's problem. Air makes the lever spongy, which is normally obvious.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I have had a Wisper for over 2 years now and it has always had a squeaky back brake, I have found it quite beneficial as it seems to work better than a bell for alerting pedestrians.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have had a Wisper for over 2 years now and it has always had a squeaky back brake, I have found it quite beneficial as it seems to work better than a bell for alerting pedestrians.
That's interesting. I found the same. I only had to feather the brake and it squealed like iI was doing an emergency stop. You should have seen all the pedestrians scatter! I sometimes wish I hadn't fixed it.

That reminds me, there's another fix OP can try. Loosen off the two screws so that they're just loose enough for the caliper to move side to side, then go and test it for a bit. Don't worry, the brake won't fall off while you test it. If that fixes the noise, get some Loktite and fix them in that position.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
That reminds me, there's another fix OP can try. Loosen off the two screws so that they're just loose enough for the caliper to move side to side, then go and test it for a bit. Don't worry, the brake won't fall off while you test it. If that fixes the noise, get some Loktite and fix them in that position.
Is that because the Disc is warped & letting the calliper have free sideways movement allows the pistons to track the shape of the disc?

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Easiest think to try first - 200 yard full
Power brake drag - get them pads smoking

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Clean your disc and pads with alcohol (or proprietry disc cleaner)
Cars suffer from same issue but they operate at higher temperatures and generally quickly burn off all the oil deposits they accumalate.
Be carefull not to get other cleaning sprays/lubricants anywhere near your discs.(seen loads of folk spray rear cassette and over spray goes straight on disc or spray forks, then the stuff runs down and onto discs)
If cleaning with good degreaser doesnot suffice change pads/ discs.
I have same problem with Haibike but often leave it to scream. Way more affective than bell. Walkers ignore ding dong but jump a mile with a squeel and cinder scraping.
Could some wiz make an electronic horn to recreate that noise?
Good luck.
Ps
Mine was squeeling yesterday but stopped after a long hard descent.. To be fair its pretty normal. They all do it sometime or other.

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Try SwissStop brake silencer. It is expensive but we have tried it and it works.