Low power & light, or High power & heavy?

Ben Burnett

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2014
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I've tried to read through as many threads as possible to see if the questions were already answered, but I can't find any.

I have been thinking about converting a bike for a while now. Mainly to get me to the surf and back, a round trip of 14km. The track is a flat tarmac cycle path most of the way, with 2 very slight hills (20 metre rises)

I was initially thinking about converting my racing bike with a 350w, 36v system on the front wheel with a bottle battery. However, with the skinny tyres I don't know how stable this will be, or how quickly this will go "motor only", if I'm to tired to give some legs power after a long surf. Has anyone converted a racing bike like this? What type of speeds to you get

Upon reading more over the last few days, I read a few places that if on flat land it is possible to get high power, as the extra weight ames little difference on the flat. I have another bike with an aluminium frame similar to this picture ...

So I was now thinking of putting a 1KW rear wheel motor with a 15ma 48v battery mounted above the rear wheel. I can use fatter tyres, which should add some stability with a surfboard mounted on a rack at the back of the bike. I am thinking this will go much faster "motor only"... what sort of speeds could this be generating?

I've looked through http://www.bmsbattery.com/ to find the parts (this seems to be the go to place in this forum!) Are there some motors on there which are better than others?

Which conversion would you recommend to provide me with a "scooter like" mode of transport (I will also pedal most of the time, but I'll like the extra speed!)

Many thanks for all your help!

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Powered speed limit on bike tracks is the same as on roads and other public areas 15.5MPH/25 KPH. If you're only going 7 kilometres speed is not really an issue.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
High speed and a huge sail on the back.
Spend more on insurance for accidents.
Especially hard to get with an illegal machine though.
36 volt 250 watt stamped motor gives you 15 mph a survivable speed.
At 20 I had concussion, a bloody nose,two bones broken in my arm and other injuries.
Hit an old lady with the surfboard after a gust of wind and ......

Reactions: oldtom

Ben Burnett

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. I do have insurance covered, and I didn't mention that the cycle path is not used for 6 months of the year (when all the tourist leave) so there is literally no one on this path. During the summertime I will use the roads and won't worry about going max speed as everywhere is choca-block.

What does anyone think about the 1KW set up?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I live in France and it is mandatory to have personal liability insurance
It may be mandatory but is it valid on a non bike?
For example are you covered on a motorcycle as that is what a 1Kw machine is.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I would guess that you are young and adventurous, but I would suggest that you save your bravado for when you are surfing. An electric bicycle that is legal will do the job. Ebiking is like sex, it does not have to be fast to be fun. Why not carry your board on a light, long trailer, made especially for the job?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
[quote="neptune, post: 216247, member: 6785" Ebiking is like sex, it does not have to be fast to be fun. [/quote]
But you do get out of breath and a bit sweaty.