Lubrication/preventative maintenance for NCM Das-kit rear hub motor

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I'm approaching 13000km on my NCM Moscow e-bike and other than wear and tear.... chains, freewheel, punctures etc (still on original tyres) ...it has behaved perfectly.
I've asked Leon Cycles for advice on any attention that might benefit the motor (probably made by MXUS) .
They have suggested squirting penetrating oil into the bolt that attaches the derailleur to the frame!!!!!!!
I have asked how this might affect the motor and await their reply.
Do any forum members have advice on maintenance of apparently sealed hub motors?Kriechöl in Motor.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
At 13k it is worth while giving it a service.
To service it remove the wheel from the bike and remove any lock nut from the axle on the brake side, on the drive side remove the gear cluster & undo the the six X- head machine screws. The cover should pry off or lift off and then the motor assembly should come out of the hubs casing.
Check the general condition of the planetary gears on the clutch mechanism. On the brake side there is a bearing in the hub body, using your finger rotate it manually to feel if there is any roughness in it's rotation. If so replace it part number will be printed on it, simply use a drift of a suitable size to knock it out ( a socket set piece will do or similar). There should be a main larger central bearing again check it for rotation and roughness. If grease is sparse use a non petroleum based grease and give a nice dollop spread around the sun gear on the inner casing and refit all as you removed it.

Check the feel of the freewheel rotation if rough replace.

Reactions: Scruffydroid

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
At 13k it is worth while giving it a service.
To service it remove the wheel from the bike and remove any lock nut from the axle on the brake side, on the drive side remove the gear cluster & undo the the six X- head machine screws. The cover should pry off or lift off and then the motor assembly should come out of the hubs casing.
Check the general condition of the planetary gears on the clutch mechanism. On the brake side there is a bearing in the hub body, using your finger rotate it manually to feel if there is any roughness in it's rotation. If so replace it part number will be printed on it, simply use a drift of a suitable size to knock it out ( a socket set piece will do or similar). There should be a main larger central bearing again check it for rotation and roughness. If grease is sparse use a non petroleum based grease and give a nice dollop spread around the sun gear on the inner casing and refit all as you removed it.

Check the feel of the freewheel rotation if rough replace.
Thanks Nealh, I'll do this in the near future and report back.