M5 Crash

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
yes but UK is the slowest anyway in Europe.

UK 70mph = 113 km/h

Belgium = 120km/h

France = 130km/h

Poland = 140km/h

Germany = Unlimited (unless restricted)

Acceidents happen everywhere and even at 50mph there might be terrible crashes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oil $500 a barrel by 2015? and we are being encouraged to use more of it.....Plus we are far more densely populated then our European neighbours.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
yes but UK is the slowest anyway in Europe.

UK 70mph = 113 km/h

Belgium = 120km/h

France = 130km/h

Poland = 140km/h

Germany = Unlimited (unless restricted)

Acceidents happen everywhere and even at 50mph there might be terrible crashes.
Alex, that's something to be proud of - UK being the slowest, most environmentally friendly as a consequence. The government is wrong to think that speed will improve flow and it certainly will increase consumption. With the recession speed has reduced on motorways. Maybe we should have a special fast lane for the very wealthy only to use?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
If I travel on the motorway at peak times my average speed is around 50 to 60 mph.
Unless it's the company car :) I usually play a game to see how much mpg I can get out of the car!

But I'm sad.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Juicy Bike we already have that , it`s called the outside lane .Usually populated by Drivers who aren`t paying for their own petrol !

BobJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2009
It's a MAXimum speed limit, no-one is making anyone else go that fast if they don't wish to - perhaps we should also limit ebikes to the same maximum speed as disabled electric chairs as well, just in case - what happened to those freedoms our Grandfathers fought so hard for - nanny state enthusiasts, bah humbug!!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
.........and the government is preparing to listen to the arguments for increasing the motorway speed limit!

Indalo
Wow that was quick - so a report has come out already blaming excessive speed for the crash?

:rolleyes:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
.........and the government is preparing to listen to the arguments for increasing the motorway speed limit!

Indalo
Wow that was quick - so a report has come out already blaming excessive speed for the crash?

:rolleyes:

Alex, that's something to be proud of - UK being the slowest, most environmentally friendly as a consequence.
Sod that!

I'd personally like to see the motorway de-restricted after say 10pm and before 5am with variable speed limits between those times depending on traffic flow and weather/road conditions.

My Scorpio Cosworth (yes, 2.9l 24v V6 of 220bhp goodness) only manages an extra 2mpg @ 60mph as opposed to 80mph (28mpg vs 26mpg), so I don't buy the environmentally friendly argument for lower speed limits.

Congestion is far more environmentally unfriendly than higher speed limits.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Maybe not for that type of car amigafan, but the vast majority of mainstream cars have a vastly greater percentage than your 7.69% increase in fuel consumption between 60 and 80mph. Yours is designed without fuel consumption in mind.

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
Juicy Bike we already have that , it`s called the outside lane .Usually populated by Drivers who aren`t paying for their own petrol !
In Germany you can go as fast 250km/h but only a few is driving with the speed of 140km/h +. I seriously think 70mph is a bit too low and equivalent of 120-130km/h would be just about right.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
It takes alot more power to go 80mph rather than 60mph.

Just like getting a push bike from 15mph to 30mph takes considerably more effort. Over double the power required due to the effects of drag.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
It's a MAXimum speed limit, no-one is making anyone else go that fast if they don't wish to - perhaps we should also limit ebikes to the same maximum speed as disabled electric chairs as well, just in case - what happened to those freedoms our Grandfathers fought so hard for - nanny state enthusiasts, bah humbug!!
I'm not so sure this is truly freedom. It costs money to go fast, and using up resources seems to be becoming more of a privilege than a right. Conspicuous consumption has never been my cup of tea, or mug for that matter.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
It's not hard to see why the government want to raise the speed limit. As the price of fuel has been rising, people like me aren't buying it any more. I read that fuel consumption is down by around 5% or more. Considering that most of it is tax revenue it's one way of clawing it back. If the speed limit is 70 people will travel at 80, make the speed limit 80 more drivers will go 90 using even more fuel.

One the crash last night, i was heading back home to Yeovil after a clubmeeting and saw a lot of emergency vehicles heading towards Taunton, i knew something was up. It was really foggy in places.
The pile up had nothing to do with speeding. When there is sudden blanket fog and you drive into it vision is gone.At what speed is it safe to drive at in conditions like that? the answer is get off the motorway when it's foggy if you can, it's simply to dangerous.

Condolense's to all the injured and those who lost their lives.

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
If you really want to save fuel then go behind the lorry at 55mph. With good diesel cars you will get easily 70mpg and that's a very good result.

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Well all i can say is that speed does kill i.e. the harder you are hit the more chance you have of serious injury regardless of road conditions seems like common sense to me ..!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yes, well said mel.

It happened at my local junction and with my eldest son an HGV driver usually heading home at that time (I didnt know then it was the Northbound carriageway ) there followed several anxious minutes before I managed to find out he was safe.
However, my heart goes out to all those unlucky people involved....totally horrific and tragic.

That area is renowned for sudden mist/fog patches.....speed usually does play a part in accidents but you will never unfortunately stop speeding......no matter what the speed limit is.

I hold my hand up.....I speed, when I perceive its 'safe' to do so.....but never in built up areas, heavy traffic or bad weather......and I must admit its a bit of a bugger not having a spanish plated car anymore......that has made me a much slower driver than anything else.

Lynda

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
Well all i can say is that speed does kill i.e. the harder you are hit the more chance you have of serious injury regardless of road conditions seems like common sense to me ..!
All I can add is that I have the GREATEST respect for the pod sods in the emergency services, who have to go out and clean up after an accident, Its a job, but not one I would want.

Rgds