Magic Motion folding E-Bike

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hi i have got a problem with my Magic Motion E-Bike i bought it second hand every since i got the bike, when i set off the panel lights go off but the bike runs fairly well yesterday i was riding my bike and all the power went off so i turned it off and back on again it worked fine for a while and then went off i thought it could be the battery maybe i hadn't put it in properely i have habit of not locking the battery in. I lifted the battery out and put it back in again it worked fine when i got home i took the battery out to charge it and decided to check the fuse, i accidently droped the fuse on the floor and it fell apart so it can't have been up to much as the ends of the fuse seemed dirty and maybe burnt i have no idea what size the fuse is as it say nothing on it at all i have tried to contact Magic Motion but as yet i have had no reply can anyone advice me on this? I.E. the fuse size i believe it is a 36v and it says panasonic on the battery case i cant see anything else on the bike or battery to say what size the fuse is.
Regards Sammy

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Hi i have got a problem with my Magic Motion E-Bike.
i bought it second hand.

every since i got the bike, when i set off the panel lights go off but the bike runs fairly well.
yesterday i was riding my bike and all the power went off so i turned it off and back on again.
it worked fine for a while and then went off.
i thought it could be the battery maybe i hadn't put it in properely.
i have habit of not locking the battery in.
I lifted the battery out and put it back in again it worked fine.
when i got home i took the battery out to charge it and decided to check the fuse, i accidently droped the fuse on the floor and it fell apart so it can't have been up to much as the ends of the fuse seemed dirty and maybe burnt.

i have no idea what size the fuse is as it say nothing on it at all i have tried to contact Magic Motion but as yet i have had no reply can anyone advice me on this?

I.E. the fuse size i believe it is a 36v and it says panasonic on the battery case i cant see anything else on the bike or battery to say what size the fuse is.

Regards Sammy
Well after translation to English, I can see that you have a problem with your fuse.

Basically fuses come in different physical sizes i.e. lengths. and also in different "strengths" which is measured in Amps (the symbol is A).

Most likely a 20A to 25A (20-25 Amp) fuse will suffice, however I cannot tell you how physically big a fuse to get.

If you still have the bits of the old fuse, you could measure it. Or perhaps you could measure the size of the fuse holder somehow.It'll probably be 20mm or maybe 25mm.

Then you need to find a shop to sell you one, because 20A 20mm fuses are hard to find.. I know of a shop in Islington, London that sells the 20mm fuses in 20A if that helps! ;)

Once you have a new fuse it sounds like it would be a good idea to clean the fuse holder. Carefull scrape any burnt stuff off the contacts using a screwdriver or try using a cotton bud and alcohol.

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hi Torrent99
Thanks for your reply sorry you couldn't understand my Thread i suffer from Dislexia and have to explain things in a round about way to avoid certain words it would be helpful if you could give me the details of the shop in Islington, i have just opened the battery case and took down the details of the batteries everything looks ok inside the case i just hope that it is nothing more serious.
Regards Sammy

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Ref Magic Motion E-Bike
Hi does anybody know if Magic Motion is still trading they are on the internet i have email them 3 time now and i am not getting any replies back.
Regards Sammy

Last edited:

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Try:

Rayshack Ltd Tel: 020 7278 4145| 34, Chapel Market, London, N1 9EN

for the fuses.

Cheers

Steve
Thankyou so much Steve
I will give them a call i dont know what you think but i was passing motorsave and called in they dont have a fuse in the same lengh as mine but they did sugest that i could by pass the old fuse holder and put in a bigger one as they have 20amp fuses but they are abit longer and they wont fit mine i hope i am not sounding silly i dont know a lot about electrics.
Regards Sammy

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Thankyou so much Steve
I will give them a call i dont know what you think but i was passing motorsave and called in they dont have a fuse in the same lengh as mine but they did sugest that i could by pass the old fuse holder and put in a bigger one as they have 20amp fuses but they are abit longer and they wont fit mine i hope i am not sounding silly i dont know a lot about electrics.
Regards Sammy
If the fuse you're looking for is a 20mm one, then the larger rated ones are notoriously hard to find - the standard maximum rating is 6.3 amps only. That address posted on here (Rayshack Ltd.) is very useful if they stock the higher-rated 20mm fuses. I'll keep a note of that, as I've had problems sourcing even 10 amp 20mm fuses in the past (nothing to do with e-bikes).

The 20 amp ones you have seen are probably one and a quarter inch (which are much easier to find) and you can often get a replacement fuseholder for this size of fuse which will either fit in the same hole as the 20mm one, or will fit with a bit of careful filing. There may be another problem though - sometimes the longer fuseholder will be a bit TOO long to fit if there is something right behind it in the case.

As you have discovered, running the 20mm ones at e-bike currents can generate some heat and eventually cause a bad contact, which makes the heat problem even worse. That's why the really high current 20mm fuses are so hard to find - you really need a more substantial fuseholder for these currents. This is a notorious Chinese (usually) design problem which regularly causes failures. If they fitted one and a quarter inch fuseholders and fuses things would be much more straightforward.

Rog.

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hiya Rog thanks for that i am going to try and get a fuse from that shop in Islington, London which as been mentioned on this thread failing that i am going to by pass it instead thanks for all your help.
Regards Sammy

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hi this is going to sound like i am stupid but i thought i would try my local bike shop that actualy sell E-Bikes in Leeds to see if i could get the 20 amp fuse that i need for my bike. The assistant took my orignal fuse to the workshop with him and came back with a new fuse great a thought i didn't even look at the fuse as they are supposed to be the experts anyway i put it in my bike and it blew it rurned out it was a 2 amp fuse that they sold me i have just been upto the shop and got my £2 back that he charged me for one fuse i also told him what i thought.
Regards Sammy

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi this is going to sound like i am stupid but i thought i would try my local bike shop that actualy sell E-Bikes in Leeds to see if i could get the 20 amp fuse that i need for my bike. The assistant took my orignal fuse to the workshop with him and came back with a new fuse great a thought i didn't even look at the fuse as they are supposed to be the experts anyway i put it in my bike and it blew it rurned out it was a 2 amp fuse that they sold me i have just been upto the shop and got my £2 back that he charged me for one fuse i also told him what i thought.
Regards Sammy
£2 for a packet of 10 would have been a more realistic price....

Rog.