Magura - careful!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just a note of warning. I have Magura hydraulic brakes on my Kalkhoff Tasman.

The front brake lever needs replacing after I dropped the bike and one was ordered for me from my local Evans (very helpful, by the way).

Nearly a month later, Magura still do not have the part, so I am riding using a rear brake only. Evans tell me this is not a rare problem with Magura

it appears that Magura don't take after sales service very seriously - so anyone contemplating a new bike might like to take this into account. Apparently Shimano are much better so a bike so equipped might be a better bet.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I've given up on ordering parts in through bike shops. They never seem to arrive, get forgotten about then you get a pack of lies to fend you off when you chase them:mad: . If its not in stock, then buy online.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've given up on ordering parts in through bike shops. They never seem to arrive, get forgotten about then you get a pack of lies to fend you off when you chase them:mad: . If its not in stock, then buy online.
It's the same with motorbike shops: You keep going down there and they tell you that the supplier is rubbish and never sends the parts. Every time that I've been in this situation, I've found out who the supplier is and rung them direct to find out what the problem is. You've guessed: The shop never ordered the bits! Two days later and everything is sorted and I have my bits. Like you, I very rarely buy stuff from shops any more. There's nearly always internet suppliers who give a much better service. Shame!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
It looks like you can't trust anything you're told these days.

Problem is with the hydraulic brakes that what with bleeding them and all, it's a bit of a fiddle to DIY it.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
I've had the same Magura HS11 rim brakes on my bike since 2001. They have never malfunctioned, they require almost no maintenance, and when the pads are down they are replaced in seconds with ease.

No constant effing about with stretching cables to oil and readjustments.

The maguras stop you on a tanner and more than justify any additional cost.

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
Hi Cogs, good to see you understand the reason decent bike parts are so important!

All the best

David
Absolutely David. I usually gravitate towards a practical combination of decent parts and value for money.

My frame and forks are Thorn, the rims are Rhino, Rohloff hubgear, tyres schwalbe. The electrics a kit from Alien. To be honest its excellent for a self build. There are some necessary compromises that I could have avoided with a purposely designed bike like one of your Wispers, but I have never been in the financial position of being able to exercise that option.

Second hand/auctions and begging along with patience over a long period did the trick.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Absolutely David. I usually gravitate towards a practical combination of decent parts and value for money.

My frame and forks are Thorn, the rims are Rhino, Rohloff hubgear, tyres schwalbe. The electrics a kit from Alien. To be honest its excellent for a self build. There are some necessary compromises that I could have avoided with a purposely designed bike like one of your Wispers, but I have never been in the financial position of being able to exercise that option.

Second hand/auctions and begging along with patience over a long period did the trick.
I totally understand Cogs, I am much the same. :D

Your bike sounds superb!

Best regards

David

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I ordered the parts from ChainReactionCycles at 3pm yesterday and they arrived at 9.30 this morning.

I like the Maguras a lot. Mine didn't malfunction. I have a narrow alleyway with a steep turn to get into it to access the back of my house. I have developed a habit of riding into the alley without slowing down (my house is detached, so no danger to other people when I do this)

It's one thing on my Brompton which will turn on a sixpence but another on the much heavier, bigger and wider Tasman.

On this occasion, I flew into the alleyway and there was a terrified cat walking up it towards me. I lost my concentration for a moment and whacked the Magura brake lever on the corner of my house which damaged the cylinder and caused a fluid leak.

I'm 67 and should have grown out of this sort of thing. Maybe I'll wheelie it round next time to get a better angle of turn :D