Mahle X35

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Talking to a cycling friend who is considering the purchase of an ebike, he mentioned the Mahle rear hub system as used by Ribble Cycles. I hadn't come across bikes using this German designed system before. Anyone got any experience of Mahle enabled bikes that I can pass on? This road-bike certainly looks nicely streamlined. Thanks

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
I have the ribble, the motor is not very powerful, I think it's aimed at cyclists who just want a bit of help. I had a gtech that just got me up steepish hills but the ribble runs out of steam unless you put a lot of effort in.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I have the ribble, the motor is not very powerful, I think it's aimed at cyclists who just want a bit of help. I had a gtech that just got me up steepish hills but the ribble runs out of steam unless you put a lot of effort in.
Thank you. I suspected it might be like that from the way it was described on both the Ribble and Mahle websites. A valid approach I think but then seems quite expensive? I'm taking a similar if less elegant (or efficient) approach experimenting with friction drive adaptations of my lightweight folding and touring bikes. (Currently still modifying prototypes so haven't come to any conclusion yet!)
Thanks for the input. Anyone else with experience of a Mahle X35 based ebike?