Mate city 500

dt91

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2021
Hi

I hope everyone's keeping ok in these hard times

I'm looking to buy a Mate City 500, with throttle assist. After looking how to register the bike with DVLA (UK) as a moped, I learned that Peds are allowed to go up to 30mph legally.

I was wondering if theres a way to derestrict this bike to reach 30mph as opposed to 20mph?

I've attached a screenshot of the electronic tech specs.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Best wishes

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The attachment doesn't really say much.
As a pedelec, it's illegal - 500w motor, 20mph, and full throttle.
Increasing the speed limit by 50% would significantly reduce the range achievable and call into question the braking ability. To be registered and pass the test it would need lights and a number plate fitting. You would then need insurance (good luck finding that below, 'HOW MUCH?') tax, a motorcycle licence, and a motorcycle helmet.
Why not just buy an actual moped or small motorbike, it'll be safer, less expense and way less hassle.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
dt91 already made it clear he knew it was not a pedalec and would need the various things you mention. Breaks is a very important issue though; twice the energy at 30mph over 20mph. Also, any modifications are likely to make insurance (already difficult by all accounts) even more difficult to find.

dt91

Apr 24, 2021
Hey

Thanks for your replies, here's the link below

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's no way in the world, you're going to ride that bike safely at 30 mph. It'll probably be scary at 20 mph. If you really want 30mph, you'd be better off getting a moped, which would be cheaper, comes pre-registered, will probably be cheaper to run, would have a much longer range and would be much more comfortable and safer to ride.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
To get it registered it's got to pass an SVA test. To do this it must have lights, number plate mount, mudguards and a horn. Also for 30mph I believe that's the higher rated moped (the lower class being 15mph) which may well be more stringent.
The thought of hitting a pothole with 20" wheels at 30mph --- well think about it.
As vfr says, get a proper moped and save yourself a lot of trouble and reduce the danger.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
The woosh rambletta is a very well built and thought out folding bike. Now my other bike a ZZR1400 is actually less scary at triple digit speeds than the Rambletta at 20 mph. The wheels are too small you get flex in the frame which is all ok until you start hitting motorbike speeds. I would listen to the previous posters and abandon this idea.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
To get it registered it's got to pass an SVA test. To do this it must have lights, number plate mount, mudguards and a horn. Also for 30mph I believe that's the higher rated moped (the lower class being 15mph) which may well be more stringent.
The thought of hitting a pothole with 20" wheels at 30mph --- well think about it.
As vfr says, get a proper moped and save yourself a lot of trouble and reduce the danger.
And good luck trying to insure it !!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hey
Thanks for your replies, here's the link below
That looks a lot like the Fiido M1 Pro - 48v, 500w motor - but without that price tag. Fiido also do a UK street legal 36v 250w motor version - £720+VAT.

Both only white or black, and neither have the full-colour screen. But the rest appears near identical. It's a lot cheaper option, and importantly, the 36v/250w version is at least legal to ride here in the UK on public roads and cycle-paths.

Fiido M1 Folding Fat Tire Electric Mountain Bike | 250W

dt91

Apr 24, 2021
Thanks for all your replies and saving me a dent in the wallet. I certainly will look into a motorcycle or scooter. Could I ask for some pros and cons of fuel v electric, and any models that would be portable, either car boot, train or tube? (Obscure I know...)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Any foldable electric bicycle can be transported in a car boot, but you wouldn't want to do it every day. The Honda Dax and its Chinese clones are probably the only sensible motorbikes than can go in a large car boot, but you'd only want to do that once in a long while.

The only foldable bike, I'd want to take on a train or bus would be the Brompton. It's relatively easy to manage and good to ride. There may be other very niche lightweight ones, but they're mainly pretty useless for riding, so OK for a few miles.

Maybe tell us what you're trying to achieve if you want sensible suggestions.

dt91

Apr 24, 2021
Sure, I'm after an electric 2 wheeled vehicle, preferably powered by throttle, capable of speeds between 20-40mph, to replace using the car for short journeys (under 1hr) and to take on and off trains for longer journeys, or car boots if necessary.

A combination of speed and portability is what I'm after in a nutshell, hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sure, I'm after an electric 2 wheeled vehicle, preferably powered by throttle, capable of speeds between 20-40mph, to replace using the car for short journeys (under 1hr) and to take on and off trains for longer journeys, or car boots if necessary.

A combination of speed and portability is what I'm after in a nutshell, hope this makes sense.
That's pretty close to impossible.

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021

Mate uk told me the City Icon 500w can be unlocked and can go at max 42kph speed.
I am also tempted and share your dream of a small but fast bike but the icon is crazy expensive and I've also heard terrible things about Mate reliability
A company in the US -Luna Cycles - does a bike that's perfect for us - the Luna mini.
It's basically a very nice folding 20" normal bike with a 750w Bafang BBS02 conversion and a 52 v battery - there are videos of it on YouTube. Unfortunately they don't ship to the UK but I'm tempted to do something similar myself with a Dahon as a base

dt91

Apr 24, 2021
I found a company, RAD power bikes based in Holland. Their EU models are restricted to 250w, however through a youtube video I'll leave at the bottom of this post, there's kit you can buy specifically for the RAD mini4 folding fat tyre e-bike which overrides the controller restrictions of a max power output of 250w to 500w like the US model. Long story short, RAD probably didn't want the costs and labour involved making 2 separate models for 2 continents so they just restricted their EU models through software.

Here's the youtube link explaining the kit with links in the description as to getting hold of it, mines on its way;

If you like what you see I'd advise you get in there with buying the bike quick. As it looks like Brexit has made a mess of importing Lithium-ion batteries into the UK, delivery can take up to 4-6 weeks

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
I found a company, RAD power bikes based in Holland. Their EU models are restricted to 250w, however through a youtube video I'll leave at the bottom of this post, there's kit you can buy specifically for the RAD mini4 folding fat tyre e-bike which overrides the controller restrictions of a max power output of 250w to 500w like the US model. Long story short, RAD probably didn't want the costs and labour involved making 2 separate models for 2 continents so they just restricted their EU models through software.

Here's the youtube link explaining the kit with links in the description as to getting hold of it, mines on its way;

If you like what you see I'd advise you get in there with buying the bike quick. As it looks like Brexit has made a mess of importing Lithium-ion batteries into the UK, delivery can take up to 4-6 weeks
Fiido do a bike called the M1 pro which is similar to the rad mini and the mate x (but at 25kg is 2kg lighter than the rad and 5kg lighter than the mate). It is also available for about 900 pounds in the UK although there is currently no stock in the UK or EU for a few weeks
It has a 12.5ah 48v removable battery, 500w motor with 3 levels of pedal assist, does over 40kmh and has a thumb throttle with cruise control. It has 4inch wide tyres opposed to the 3inch ones on the rad mini
I actually have one currently and its a great bike for the money but it's a little too large for my needs so am selling it.I'm after about 780 for it (it's done 5 miles) and am in Essex
here's a review video of it
and here's my Facebook listing
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/639352927464552

Bovinelufe

Jun 18, 2021
I have this bike and it's fantastic. It looks like a fairly regular bike and as long as you are pedaling and not using the throttle, no one will give you any trouble. It is fine at 20mph by the way.