Me and SB go on a long and hilly bike ride.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I went on a long bike ride today with SB. We went from Southsea to the Bat and Ball pub at Hambledon (14 miles away).

I forgot to take my camera but fortunately I keep a slim Samsung camera in my handbag all the time.

The route: Southsea to The Bat and Ball in Hambledon and back. by vikki15 at Garmin Connect - Details

The photo's: Bat and Ball ride - a set on Flickr

To preserve the batteries no Knight Industries Two Thousand style turbo boost was used.

"That's KITT, Michael!"
"That's Vikki, KITT!"
"Whatever. whoosh-whoosh, whoosh-whoosh".

KITT needs to realise that I have a battery spanner in my hand!

I digress.

Started the journey on pedelec only since I wasn't in a hurry. The main problem with riding out into the countryside is that one first has to ride the five miles or so out of Portsmouth. Since it's flat pedelec was fine.

I decided not to go via Cosham because that would have meant riding in traffic. So, I went up the cycle path up the Eastern Road. That took me to the bottom of Farlington Avenue, a mean hombre that is steeper than it has any right to be. I pity the people living up there. Even cars don't like it much and is pretty much a first or second gear drive up it.

I ended up walking it and even that was a pain. Holding SB's throttle slighty open helped a great deal as I didn't have to push his 45lb up it.

Got to the top and mounted SB and off we went. The journey down the otherside of Portsdown Hill was a much more pleasant experience.

Down at the bottom it was a left turn toward Purbrook Heath and the countryside proper.

We used to do this ride as kids, me and my brother and some friends (not to the pub though).

The ride through the country lanes was really pleasant but I soon realised that this would not be a ride to do on my trike. The lanes in places were so narrow that my trike would easily have taken a third of the road. Blind corners would send a shiver down my spine since the lanes just about take one car.

Soon enough I got to Old Mill Lane. What we used to call mile hill, because it was long and it was steep. I went down there at 33mph and I tell you - I was floating on the pedals to to keep my weight off the saddle and let the bike pitch as it wanted to over the bumps. At 33mph I was braking to bring my speed down. If you don't mind the taste of hot rubber I would have gladly cooked an egg on the pads for you at the bottom.

Those of you in the 50mph club, I salute you. Yours must be made of steel :eek:

Of course, going down generally means a going up! Fortunately it wasn't so steep going up as the the incline was over a longer distance. SB pretty much took it in his stride. Pedelec only and me pumping those pedals like a demon in 2nd gear but I didn't let on to SB. Once at the top it was a nice ride along a flat section and The bat and Ball loomed into view soon enough.

I had a half a bitter shandy and a really nice homemade burger and chips. It was so good it made it all worth it (almost). I had another shandy after I'd finished eating.

So I start home after a nice lunch and tear down Old Mill Lane, then comes the climb back up 'Mile Hill', it was a nice stroll I had. Too steep to ride SB up and I didn't fancy mashing to get up it - so, shanks pony it was. Once it the top the ride home was uneventful. Portsdown Hill from the Purbrook side is not so bad and me and SB managed it with moderate ease.

Going down Farlington Avenue was a blast and once again I was exceeding 30mph. From there it was a leisurely ride home (letting SB take the strain while I relaxed) and a nice cup of coffee.

SB did sterling work and there was still juice in the battery after 30 miles of country roads and lanes.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Last edited:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hmmm, I see the Garmin didn't record maximum speeds on my descents. Guess I should have selected 'record every second' rather than selecting 'smart recording'. My Strada records maximum speed as 33mph.

Smart recording only records data when data changes. Not sure what they consider a change to be. :confused:

Last edited:

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
Football Fever?

Hi Vikki,

As always wonderful info, SB (what does that stand for?) in the flesh looks nice in the sunlight! I'm pleased you had a good day.:)
Flickr Photo Download: SNV30705

You have looking at the photo above the exact same idea for rear panniers etc. that I have for mine! May I ask you which make they are?

Regards,

Mike.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
SB is short for a rather unimaginative name for my Wisper: Super Bikey.

I had a full compliment of Wisper panniers but after a year of daily use the zips started to go. There's one left intact. The top one is one I got from Cycle World Wessex ages ago and pressed into service. I still have the handlebar bag (Wisper) but took it off a few days ago but it's going back on shortly. I did have the idea of fitting a Space Bar for extra bits and to move the Garmin further away so I can see it better with my glasses on but I'm not sure I like not having the handlebar bag on.

Vikki.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
Hi Vikki, enjoyed reading of your journey - took me back, I used to live off Farlington Ave a wee while ago, and cycled in to Southsea every day. For some reason I never took the eastern road - too chilly and probably no cycle lanes back then. It was a blooming hard hill at the end of the day, could have done with a motor :D

I never knew about the Bat and Ball though - we used to cycle out to Chalton when feeling adventurous. There used to be a real character running the pub there.

soph

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
What a small world :)

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
What a small world :)
'Tis indeed. More memories - my fave bike was pinched from Portsmouth - a single speed old Oxford bike that took me around, as well as much of England, the south of France. We'd get to a hilltop village, park up, and the locals would gather round exclaiming 'Ahh, les Anglais, ils sont fou! Completement fou!!' :D

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Crikey! You must have put some miles in on that bike :eek: Furthest I've been on a bike is the Isle of Wight :)

What did the french mean?

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
LOL, so true, so true. Thanks :D