Medical advice?

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
I fell off my (non-electric) bike two days ago. Got a fractured radius bone near my elbow and lot of internal soft tissue damage in my wrist, otherwise in one piece. Main problem is the pain from the soft tissue damage. Has anyone had a similar accident? I'm wondering how long the pain is likely to last?

Typing one-handed...quite slowly.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Mrs -UK had a similar fall a year or two back. It hurt for a week or two, and she was in plaster for 6 or 7 weeks. Still gets twinges in her upper arm (not unusual, apparently). She's 60-ish, so might be quicker for a younger/fitter person. Advice: go to a good physiotherapist, even if it costs you money.

(She was carrying donations into a charity shop when she tripped on one of Harrow's dodgy pavements, and no, we didn't sue!)

A.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Can only offer sympathy at the moment as my wife(an A&E nurse) is on shift. I'm sure she'll have some advice for you!

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Mrs -UK had a similar fall a year or two back. It hurt for a week or two, and she was in plaster for 6 or 7 weeks. Still gets twinges in her upper arm (not unusual, apparently). She's 60-ish, so might be quicker for a younger/fitter person. Advice: go to a good physiotherapist, even if it costs you money.

(She was carrying donations into a charity shop when she tripped on one of Harrow's dodgy

pavements, and no, we didn't sue!)

A.
Thanks Allen. It's not in plaster as the fracture was not all the way through the bone, so using a sling and wrist is in a collar. I'm 55 3/4 so not much different. Accident was entirely my own fault, I misjudged the angle going over a low dropped kerb and bike skidded off it.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Can only offer sympathy at the moment as my wife(an A&E nurse) is on shift. I'm sure she'll have some advice for you!
Take pain relief including anti-inflammatories and man-up. If you are still in significant pain then consult your health care provider.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just take it easy....And be careful out there!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Take pain relief including anti-inflammatories and man-up. If you are still in significant pain then consult your health care provider.
Please note I was being dictated to. Nurses are so harsh!