Mercedes Smart Ebike help

Tutchy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 12, 2019
Hoping someone with a Mercedes Smart EBike can confirm if I may have a problem with my Smart Bionx 3 speed hub or if the clicking noise it makes is normal.
I picked up a second hand bike over the weekend and it is in great condition with less than 400 miles on the clock and is streets ahead in terms of ride quality from my previous cheap Chinese EBike. The bike works as it should and feels great however I noticed in first gear the rear wheel is silent when peddling however when I change into 2nd gear It starts to make a constant rhythmic clicking noise and when I change into third gear the clicking changes tone and appears to get a little louder, to be honest when riding along outside in top gear with all the other noises around it’s not something that particularly bothers me I am just looking to confirm if it is normal or whether the motor may have a fault.

Any help or advise gratefully received.
Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's been a long time since I rode a Smart Bike. I can't remember hearing any loud clicking, but I know that the old Sturmey Archer three sppeeds clicked in the higher gears because of the internal ratchets, so it's probably normal. It was more a ticking noise than clicking.

Tutchy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 12, 2019
Thanks vfr400 you are right it is better discribed as a ticking noise, I think you are also right in that it is most likely normal and I’m worry about a problem that doesn’t exist.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Oh yes, the old Sturmey Archer tick ! The music that accompanied most of my childhood forays out into the wide world.