Metal Fatigue disaster!

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
My alloy rear carrier decided that carrying a 3.8kg battery and the controller was too much for it this weekend. Fortunately I was going very slowly and only two tenths of a mile from home. Still, I can now get the Topeak rack and bag that I really want and hopefully will look much neater than my own effort.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not surprising Citrus, that being a massive load on a butt weld, at such a distance having lots of leverage too. Hopefully your new rack will be better for the job and not spring any more nasty surprises.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Citrus

That's bad luck,

I've been using one of those carriers for over a year. bought it on Ebay. It has a Gnog trunk bag bolted to it containing a Ping 24V 15 ah + a full set of tools and spare chain for rural off-road riding. The total weight of the trunk bag is 5.2 Kgs.

The route is the rural section of route 45 Swindon to Marlborough, 22 mile round trip. In places it is so rough I have to stand on the pedals with knees bent jockey fashion to stop my teeth shaking out!. I've ridden that route 5 times in the last 14 months, and the carrier is showing no signs of fatigue, You really have been very unlucky with yours.

Or should that be...I've been lucky with mine!.

All the best

Bob