Help! Metroneer EG 1.0 Comp Gravel E-Bike

nicknack

Just Joined
Dec 7, 2023
Has anyone any experience of the Metroneer EG 1.0 Comp Gravel E-Bike? I'm looking to buy my first drop bar gravel e-bike with a decent range and these seem to hit the mark £999 and a 360W battery, but I can't find any other information or reviews about them which makes me wary. Merlin who make make them do though seem to be a very professional bike site otherwise.

TIA

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Has anyone any experience of the Metroneer EG 1.0 Comp Gravel E-Bike? I'm looking to buy my first drop bar gravel e-bike with a decent range and these seem to hit the mark £999 and a 360W battery, but I can't find any other information or reviews about them which makes me wary. Merlin who make make them do though seem to be a very professional bike site otherwise.

TIA
What do you intend to use if for ? 360Wh battery seems quite modest, but it depends on how you intend to use it - just a bit of help up hills ? I guess quite a few "dynamic" cyclists would be able to ride at > 15.5 mph (ie above the motor assist limit) on the flat under their own steam. How far are you likely to go ? what sort of terrain ? 18kg seems quite light

Notice it is mechanical disk brakes - an easy and cheap upgrade to go hydraulic

Last edited:

nicknack

Just Joined
Dec 7, 2023
Peter thanks for the note. I live in South West Wiltshire just off Salisbury Plain and around 15 miles from Bath. Ideally, I'd like to be able to ride in and out of Bath or in and out of Salisbury. If it would get me over the Plain to Salisbury on the main roads that would be fun, there are some long hills. Being more realistic I'd take the Wylye Valley back roads into Salisbury and then climb out of Salisbury about six miles if I was commuting into work. That'd be around 25 miles. Bath is a weekend run, and if I want the easy life I could ride down to Bradford Upon Avon which is a little hilly and then take the canal path into Bath which surprisingly flat and probably 30-35 miles in total. I tried out a Vitus Mach-E Urban bike out, and it did a fine job of flattening the hills around Longleat but I'd much prefer a drop bar gravel bike even though the Vitus seemed to have the larger battery.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
So people here generally get between 7 and 15 Wh/ mile so for a 365 Wh battery , so range likely 25-50 miles depending how much effort you re putting in / how hilly the route is.

To my inexpert eye the bike looks fine - MicroShift R8 drivetrain and disk brakes (mind you I do ride a very old Carrera Vulcan that I have converted to electric !)

The only bike I thought about was the Woosh Faro - but you said you would prefer drop bars and if you go for the in-frame battery that is smaller capacity (although I would go for the larger capacity one - it's amazing how far and fast you can go when you get an e-bike)

The other option would be buy an analogue gravel bike and fit a motor and battery. Plenty of hardly used gravel bikes on eBay / Facebook marketplace for 1/3 the initial price.

Rear hub kit with bottom bracket torque sensor and 720wh battery £579

You'd end up with a better spec bike, more powerful motor assist , more economical (torque sensor) and much bigger battery/range and potentially you would be able to take advantage of the legal 10% leeway in the max motor assist speed setting. Also much more maintainable / repairable / upgradeable in years to come

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It looks like the battery comes out at the bottom bracket. I'd like to see what's down there. There was another one like that, which we were looking at, that had a lock down there, which is surely going to get full of crud and jam.

With these sort of bikes, you have to think about the future. The chance of getting spares, like a new controller, in 4 years time is close to zero. If you're good at electrics, there's always ways to fit different batteries and controllers, so it shouldn't be a problem unless you can't do that, in which case you'll have a nice new trellis for your peas and beans.

One other thing. If you want assistance above 15'5 mph, make sure that youn know whether it's possible and how to do it before you buy that bike, otherwise think about one that has a known solution.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge