Mid motor vs Hub motor.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Firstly, I would like to thank you for the topic, really interesting.
But, as a confirmed rear hub user on two bikes that I have owned, and several others I have borrowed and tested, I have read nothing here that would convince me to buy a mid motor bike, in fact, the complete opposite.
I have ridden both of my bikes in huge downpours and through streams (Not yet any rivers!;)), the worst that happened was the LCD display got water inside, as did my throttle. I sealed up the display, except for a small opening underneath, to allow air expansion and contraction, since then, no more problems. The throttle took several days to dry out, in fact I was of the opinion that the controller was damaged for a time, as it took 4 or 5 days to dry out. I even looked inside the controller for water, but it was completely dry, wasted effort!
I am and was very happy with the balance of both my bikes, (and I have been riding on 2 wheels for over 60 years), as the battery on my latest is in the crossbar, and the motor is at the rear of course. What some mid motor fans say about hubs, rear ones at least, are complete and utter fairy tale rubbish - probably sad that they wasted their money on a mid motor.:mad:
My current bike was really cheap, and including transport and import fees, for well under €1,000 (around £910), I got a full set up, two batteries, and all the other extras. The only bad point was that the upper headset bearing was wrongly installed in China, and it took a long time for the supplier to send a new one.
Once installed, the bike has had no further problems, just charge the batteries and pump up the tyres and ride ride ride.....Oh yes, and occasionally a cleaning and rub down with WD-40, avoiding the brakes of course!
Furthermore, even if there are any future problems, I have saved more than enough (and had already several years riding) in comparison, so that I could replace many expensive parts and still not be out of pocket, as I do all the work myself.
Friends and acquaintances with trouble free mid motors, are usually the "Sunday rider", only in the summer, who stays at home when it rains!
Many of the others have had expensive arguments with Bosch one way or another...
I know no one with any other make of mid motor, sadly.
Andy
Andy, I have noticed that in this and several other posts you have made it very clear, in a condescending way that you don’t like Bosch mid drives, for whatever reason, so I would like to present my experience.
Myself and two friends have owned Bosch mid drives for just over three years covering 2500 miles per year mainly on very rough ground off road up inclines as much as 33%. When I clean my bike, which I do quite often, I use a bike jet wash. None of the three of us has had any trouble with either the motor or battery. I have replaced chains and sprockets but consider these consumables and if the motor was to develop a problem now I would consider this a consumable. Actually, I would probably just get another bike with a Bosch motor.
I know very little about controllers, tweaking ampage and voltage or battery maintenance, all of which seem to dominate the process of owning a hub motor. At a guess I would think that at least 75% of problems on this forum refer to hub motors and controllers but I would not think to condescendingly rubbish them on this basis.
I do have some experience of hub motors in that I holiday in Spain twice a year and hire electric bikes for a week which are invariably hub driven. These cover roughly 200miles off road. My personal opinion of these is that they have been very unsuitable for the type of off road cycling that I do, which would lead me to never considering purchasing one.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I know very little about controllers, tweaking ampage and voltage or battery maintenance, all of which seem to dominate the process of owning a hub motor. At a guess I would think that at least 75% of problems on this forum refer to hub motors and controllers but I would not think to condescendingly rubbish them on this basis.
I wish they leave their hub kits alone!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have to disagree with quote of 75% of issues are due to tweaking.
On the Yose ones it appears that there is genuine issue with the customer model.
Others talk about the cheap China Brainpower available and configuring/deciphering the Chinglish manual.
Kt's in the most part are dual voltage so 36/48v battery should pose little issue, though the 6 get ones do get very hot If high PAS is used on inclines alot.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery issues tend to be due to poor user maintenance or age related issues following a period of non use.
The recent one regarding the 30q one is more down to poor cell selection for ebike use. Generic batteries don't use/have the sleep/hibernation modes of some of the dearer OEM ones.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hub wise we see few issues with reliability unless water ingress is the issue or an old motor.
This forum is partly about diy use and pushing boundaries a little.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
This forum is partly about diy use and pushing boundaries a little.
That I feel is correct, and no reason why it should not be, forums are after all no more or less than its contributors.

However, it leaves the normal person interested in buying into an e-bike not as an enthusiast, but as someone using the product as designed, no obvious port of call.

I came to it following a recommendation on a totally unrelated subject forum, where e-bikes were mentioned, I have to feel for those not technically inclined being left bemused.

This thread dealing with the fundamental options between choosing a CD or HD is more on that target.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
However, it leaves the normal person interested in buying into an e-bike not as an enthusiast, but as someone using the product as designed, no obvious port of call.
if you are in the market for an e-bike, you should use the reliability statistics of hub motor bikes made and sold by traders on this forum rather than the overall numbers.
Wisper and Woosh have our own clinic sub-forums, it's easy to follow up reported issues with hub motors, how many, how diverse and how soon they get sorted. Then compare these with the Bosch crank drives.
You will see that the hub motors are just as reliable while cheaper to replace outside warranty.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I'm very happy with my Bosch Active Line Plus crank motor. I think the sensor works very well to give a natural feel to cycling. I don't feel like I'm riding a powered bike, just that my legs are a lot stronger than they ever have been. I have found the ALP provides all the power I need even for very steep off road inclines and gets me panting a bit which, after all is why I go out cycling. So I am content that I made the right choice for me.
I keep thinking I would like to buy a kit to convert my old 26er to hub drive because it would be an interesting thing to do. In reality though I only need one ebike and I love the one I have. Unfortunately i can't justify spending circa £500 on a kit which wouldn't provide me with anything I haven't already got. I still look at them on websites and wonder though.
In reality any ebike with a reasonably good motor is a brilliant piece of kit and far more fun than a manual bike. It doesn't really matter what you have so long as you get out there and enjoy! All by yourself of course at the moment.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm very happy with my Bosch Active Line Plus crank motor.
the Tongsheng TSDZ2 is very good too, not much more money compared to a hub kit.
The 36V TSDZ2 is very like the ALP, the 48V like the CX.
You can also have a throttle with your TSDZ2 if you so wish.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I have to disagree with quote of 75% of issues are due to tweaking.
On the Yose ones it appears that there is genuine issue with the customer model.
Others talk about the cheap China Brainpower available and configuring/deciphering the Chinglish manual.
Kt's in the most part are dual voltage so 36/48v battery should pose little issue, though the 6 get ones do get very hot If high PAS is used on inclines alot.
I didn’t actually say that issues were due to tweaking. What I said was that most of the problems on this forum related to hub motors, controllers and batteries for whatever reason. You may or may not agree with the 75% bit, this was just a figure based on my impression.
My post was mainly in reply to some posters who seem to think that hub drives are the best thing since sliced bread. That is their prerogative but it is wrong to say that I “need my head testing” for thinking otherwise.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You may or may not agree with the 75% bit, this was just a figure based on my impression.
they are generated disproportionately by those who bought their kits without installation manuals and/or support.

mjd1499

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2017
Ferndown
There’s another odd advantage of a hub drive bike, I managed to accidentally split my chain in the new forest on my Woosh Rio FB, couldn’t find the split link anywhere...

Then I realised that pedalling even with no chain and then using the throttle I was away again, at least I didn’t have to walk...

Mike

Reactions: Woosh

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
they are generated disproportionately by those who bought their kits without installation manuals and/or support.
I can well understand that and it must be galling when people buy such kits and then come to companies like yours to bale them out.
I suppose this does not happen with crank drives as generally people have to buy them from dealers who one hopes are going to provide some backup.
But this does make me wonder then where people get the idea from that crank drives are overly problematic.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But this does make me wonder then where people get the idea from that crank drives are overly problematic.
I agree with you, most crank drives work extremely well and are usually superbly crafted in contrast to the simplicity of the hub drives. Both do work very reliably, much more dependable compared to the rest of the bike.
However, after the warranty runs out, hub drives are much easier and cheaper to repair or replace. Their simplicity suits most of us who can fit our kits and look after our bikes ourselves.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The one big advantage of the hub drive is that when all electrical parts are worn out, it can be converted to an ordinary bike again to sell on.
Only those CD kits that use the bottom bracket can be re-converted, all the others have frames that will not take a standard bottom bracket.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A few issues over the last year have been in the main about the crappy Suntour system used on the Halfraud Carrera's.