Middle aged fat man seeks ebike advice

unNeil

Just Joined
Jun 30, 2020
Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy an ebike to get fit and lose weight. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Note I haven't ridden a bike since I was about 12 and that was a Grifter.

Me: 48 years old. 125kg. 1.8m tall. Really unfit. I'd score myself 1 out of 10 for fitness.

My goal: I want to be fit by 50. So want an ebike that I can use 2-3 times a week for the next 2-3 years.

Looking for an entry level ebike for exercise and 'fun riding' to help get fit and maybe getting about. Will be used for road and trail riding; doubtful I'll ever go 'serious' off-road. (Maybe the woodland trail in Center Parcs.) I also doubt I'd be riding more than 20-30km in a session/day.

My criteria:
1) Riding comfort - a hybrid bike seems the format for me, but TBH what I know about bikes could be written on the back of a stamp. Would need a comfortable saddle!

2) Reliability - would like something that's proven to be reliable. Not fussed on brand.

3) Lightweight. Appreciate I'm not going to get carbon fibre for my price range... but happy to pay a bit extra for something "nice" that will last.

4) Easy to setup/maintain. I'm not particularly versed in bike maintenance, but can watch and follow a YouTube video.

I'm based near Liverpool (L31 postcode) if that makes any difference.

Price not a big deal, but would not want to spend much more than £1.5k... unless it was the deal of the century. Happy to consider 2nd hand as long as it ticks the boxes above.

Thanks in advance for your very kind assistance!

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
As always advise trying a variety of styles of bike. These don’t have to be ebikes yet. Try a road bike, hybrid, Dutch style and MTB this way you’ll learn a preference for your needs. After which you can then try a hub Motor and crank drive and hopefully a torque and cadence sensor type. Again working out a preference for your particular needs.