Milton Keynes E-Bike Ride Sunday

C

Cyclezee

This is a spin off thread from here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/7652-beba-electric-bike-day-7.html#post96517

If anyone wants to meet up this Sunday, in front of the Lakeside Restaurant, Willen Lake, Milton Keynes, I will be there at 10am and wait until 11am.
Weather forecast says 5 degrees, dry cloudy and 9 mph south easterly wind, so wrap up warm.

Even if you don't have an e-bike and are just interested, come along.

If you want my mobile number send me a PM.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
This is a spin off thread from here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/7652-beba-electric-bike-day-7.html#post96517

If anyone wants to meet up this Sunday, in front of the Lakeside Restaurant, Willen Lake, Milton Keynes, I will be there at 10am and wait until 11am.
Weather forecast says 5 degrees, dry cloudy and 9 mph south easterly wind, so wrap up warm.

Even if you don't have an e-bike and are just interested, come along.

If you want my mobile number send me a PM.

I will try to make it but I have got to do the dreaded Tesco's shop first.

It might mean I have to drive up with the Brompton if i am running late.

Be nice to put a face to a name.

I teamed up with a mate and started a regional group of the Mini Cooper club back in the 80's - we grew (from a initial turn out of 5 people) and grew and had many fun times doing factory trips, treasure hunts etc.

Colin

C

Cyclezee

I will try to make it but I have got to do the dreaded Tesco's shop first.

It might mean I have to drive up with the Brompton if i am running late.

Be nice to put a face to a name.

I teamed up with a mate and started a regional group of the Mini Cooper club back in the 80's - we grew (from a initial turn out of 5 people) and grew and had many fun times doing factory trips, treasure hunts etc.

Colin
Hi Colin,

OK, I will wait until 11am. The Mini Cooper part is interesting, I used to own a 1966 1275 Cooper S, but sold it back in 1974 so that I could afford to get married.........tough decision:(

I have sent my mobile No. by PM.

C

Cyclezee

One more person has confirmed they are coming, so that makes 3 in total for Sunday. Any more?

C

Cyclezee

We are up to 4 now:) I should mention, that you don't have be a member of the Pedelec Forum to come along or have an electric bike, just an interest in them.

So far we have an Alien Aurora, Kalkhoff Pro Connect, a Brompton Sparticle or Nano and an Ezee Forza. So already we have a varied sample of electric bikes coming;)

C

Cyclezee

All rather at the 11th hour, I emailed members of the local CTC to let them know about tomorrow. It would be good if at least one of them came along just to see what electric bikes are all about.
I think it is important to get the message out to other cyclists and the public in general that electric bikes are not just for people who are unable or too lazy to ride a non powered bike. They are not just bikes with a motor or electric mopeds, but a viable alternative method of transport.

I have been on several rides with non powered cycling groups and have seen riders who really struggle to keep up, but pride and stubbornness keeps them going until they are at the point of exhaustion. That is not beneficial to health, in fact it is just the opposite.
I have made no attempt to suggest they would be better to use an electric bike. A friend who did was told in no uncertain terms where to stick his battery.
I am not an educator and have no vested interest in the expansion of the electric bikes industry, but I think we all need to gently make people aware of their benefits. I know I am preaching to the converted and it is not you that needs to be convinced.
Pass the word, electric cycling is not cheating as we hear so often.

nbmk

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2010
milton keynes
Had a good little ride today from willen this morning with Aldby and three others! Good to see some different bikes to mine even if it was bitterly cold.

C

Cyclezee

OK, lets start with the weather. Cold, about 4 degrees, overcast and damp.

I was at Willen Lake by 10 am, and Nick (NBMK) arrived shortly after with his almost new Alien Aurora, he uses it for commuting. He hasn't conditioned the battery yet, so doesn't know what the max range is, we decided to go for a fairly short run as understandably, he did not fancy the idea of pedalling it unpowered.
Next to arrive was Colin (Shemozzle999) on his immaculate Brompton Sparticle. Because of other commitments, Colin arrived by car with the Brompton in the boot, his battery wasn't fully charged, so again a long ride was out of the question. Finally Jack (Bankie) arrived on his Kalkhoff Pro Connect, last as usual, but then he is the oldest:p
After introductions and a chat, the 4 of us decided on a destination close to where Colin lives so he could take his car home and join us later.
All of the ride was on cycle routes and taken at a leisurely pace as I did not want leave the others in a rooster of spray:D
Not quite sure how, but we ended up in a pub;) where we were joined by Colin and his friend Brompton Sparticle.
Naturally the conversation was about electric bikes and I think I can say an enjoyable time was had by all. Eventually we managed to drag our rowdy Glaswegian friend Jack out of the pub and set off on the return journey.

I feel sure if the weather had been better and more notice had been given, there would have been a better turnout. More people would have been great, but it is a start. We were in agreement that it should happen again in the not too distant future.

As you can see Nick has already posted a photo, and just to let you know who is who, from left to right, we are Nick, John (the handsome guy in orange), Jack and Colin.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
OK, lets start with the weather. Cold, about 4 degrees, overcast and damp.

I was at Willen Lake by 10 am, and Nick (NBMK) arrived shortly after with his almost new Alien Aurora, he uses it for commuting. He hasn't conditioned the battery yet, so doesn't know what the max range is, we decided to go for a fairly short run as understandably, he did not fancy the idea of pedalling it unpowered.
Next to arrive was Colin (Shemozzle999) on his immaculate Brompton Sparticle. Because of other commitments, Colin arrived by car with the Brompton in the boot, his battery wasn't fully charged, so again a long ride was out of the question. Finally Jack (Bankie) arrived on his Kalkhoff Pro Connect, last as usual, but then he is the oldest:p
After introductions and a chat, the 4 of us decided on a destination close to where Colin lives so he could take his car home and join us later.
All of the ride was on cycle routes and taken at a leisurely pace as I did not want leave the others in a rooster of spray:D
Not quite sure how, but we ended up in a pub;) where we were joined by Colin and his friend Brompton Sparticle.
Naturally the conversation was about electric bikes and I think I can say an enjoyable time was had by all. Eventually we managed to drag our rowdy Glaswegian friend Jack out of the pub and set off on the return journey.

I feel sure if the weather had been better and more notice had been given, there would have been a better turnout. More people would have been great, but it is a start. We were in agreement that it should happen again in the not too distant future.

As you can see Nick has already posted a photo, and just to let you know who is who, from left to right, we are Nick, John (the handsome guy in orange), Jack and Colin.

great stuff..........glad you got home safe after the pub lunch..........

you probably started a wee club......

regards

C

Cyclezee

great stuff..........glad you got home safe after the pub lunch..........

you probably started a wee club......

regards
Just to clarify in case anyone thinks it was a pub crawl, there was very little alcohol consumed, even by the 2 Scots present, the others were drinking coffee and coke. The pub provided somewhere warm to chat in comfort.

One thing is for sure, next time we need to do it when the weather is warmer.

I think a few more rides are required to see if numbers increase before thinking about forming a club.
We also need to plan routes that are tailored to the range of the bikes partaking. So it would be helpful to know in advance from participants the maximum range they can achieve.

C

Cyclezee

I just received the following email from our local CTC in response to my last minute invitation to their members to come along this morning.

Evening John,

Thanks for your response to the website, unfortunately as I live in SW France I don’t think I’ll be able to make the meet…!!

I’m afraid that the regular MKCTC Sunday ride, this week starting from Westcroft at 09:30, will probably mean that most of the MKCTC will already be on the road.

Hope your meet went well,

Regards,

Andy

Andy Fisher
1358 route de Cadours
31530 Le Castéra

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi John,

Thanks for getting me out on a not ideal day, enjoyed meeting the group and look forward to putting in more personal effort next time, given more notice.
(not bad for a 24 hour turn out).

Inspired by your " let's do it " call, perphaps there should be a sticky created with that title so that other areas can try and get similar groups going, as it appears that in the original thread that other areas like Bristol were keen to host a venue for the BEBA electric bike day.

I also agree with you that it would give others confidence to try and get their own group going if more members participated in the "where do you live" google locator.

Looking forward to the Spring meet.

Colin.

p.s. I might take up the offer of that group of tandem riders that arrived just after you 3 set off to Caldecotte Lake and join them in their real ale trip next week, 7 miles, 7 pubs but I dont think I could do the 7 pints:D

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Blimey John things move quick around you.

Great our first overseas trip then John.

Dont think I can make it next weekend though.

Can Andy provide accommodation or do I see if I can pack a tent on the rear of the Brompton, how much does the ferry cost?:D

C

Cyclezee

We don't need to wait until Spring Colin, we can join in with the the CTC ride on 6th March MK CTC shorter rides .

That should be do able by the majority of e-bikes. Jack and I have been out with them several times, you just have put up with the banter about cheating. A few more of us on electric bikes might make them realise electric bikes are not such a bad thing.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Aldby

That is great.

Good to see such a mix of bikes on tour.

Best regards

Scott
Thanks Scott,

Today wasn't quite a tour, maybe next time will be better. I'm sure you noticed that Kalkhoff were represented, but not a Wisper in sight;) Cue for David Miall to step in here:D

C

Cyclezee

Blimey John things move quick around you.

Great our first overseas trip then John.

Dont think I can make it next weekend though.

Can Andy provide accommodation or do I see if I can pack a tent on the rear of the Brompton, how much does the ferry cost?:D
Perhaps you could take the tandem bunch with you to France next weekend and when you get to Andy's place, just say John said it would be OK:D