Mini battery build

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hiya.

I have a use for a tiny , low ah , super light 36v battery. I also have 10 30q cells and time in lockdown

I could stick in a water bottle or in a saddle bag but anyone got an genius ideas for formation ? It's an open book.

I could place in 2 x 5cells long blocks and make something that hide under the top tube or downtube?

Some photos for visual reference and the little packet is the same size as the bms I bought but couldn't locate when I took the photos

Thanks all

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't like the last option of topping and tailing though with a bit of fibreglass solid sheet in between will be ok.
K you could use one of those tiny top tube silly pannier bags, sit 5p1s in each side just and then parallel them together using equal wire length before it exits to the controller.
Depending on the controller placing in an under seat tool bag.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I finally hit the random parts bin (aka bucket in shed) to build this.

Found a few old cell holders from a early bottle battery (I think)

Chucked it together and covered in kapton tape just as I couldn't decide what to do.

Now I got it in my mind eye, I'll make a well padded v shape to fit right in the V where seat tube and downtube meet. Hidden by a bling ring on one side.

There are 4 unused cell holders so they can be dremmeled off when my replacement mandrel arrives. And I'll do all.wiring properly too !

So pack will be tiny. Obviously it will have very little range but it's been more just something to do from spare odds and sods

Attachments

Reactions: awol

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So all wired up and heat shrink

Then I surrounded in high strength foam and placed inside an off cut from a broken tarp frame bag. Only to get an idea rather than final mounting

Hmm, not happy at all Think I way overdidthe protection , maybe added 75 % to overall size. Looks rubbish

Going to rethink this

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How about a redesign in to one of these Kirstin tucked in to bottle cage.

Or

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
How about a redesign in to one of these Kirstin tucked in to bottle cage.

Or
Your right of course, this is the obvious solution but I really wanted to make something super stealth and small. One may as well make a 20 cell pack if going for the converted water bottle approach ?

I may well just get more cells and do just that

But I ain't beaten yet :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I started a thread 18mths or 24months ago about a aluminium water bottle battery a long the lines which d8veh also did, though I have never got any further with it but of late have been thinking I must get on and finish it.
Was going to be 20 cells 102p with 20/25a cells HG2 if I can genuine one, but think now I can get 24 cells and 12s2p inside with a 12s lion 30a bms. Set my 13s charger to 49.2v for 4.1v per cell.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I started a thread 18mths or 24months ago about a aluminium water bottle battery a long the lines which d8veh also did, though I have never got any further with it but of late have been thinking I must get on and finish it.
Was going to be 20 cells 102p with 20/25a cells HG2 if I can genuine one, but think now I can get 24 cells and 12s2p inside with a 12s lion 30a bms. Set my 13s charger to 49.2v for 4.1v per cell.
Yes I recall the d8veh one well. Tbh that was originally the plan but it didn't actually suit my usage

I've got both a 15ah and a 21 ah pack, i tend to do either less than 6 ish or more than 25-30 miles each session. Utility vs leisure cycling essentially.

I just got a very comfortable 7miles out of in a test ride on mostly flat but bit windy roads (ok, 6.71 to be exact on the gps) on a middle range PAS setting so as not to totally overloadthe cells. The cutoff was incorrectly set too so the motor was helping past 15.5 mph , certainly a big battery drain

Yep, change the fitting and controller settings and this will be a good little experiment !

It did make me realise how much that massive 21ah affects the bike handling though. So much fun chucking the bike about with that teeny weight:)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think the small 5 - 6ah water bottle battery is ideal esp when it will easily fit into an existing holder, at 220 - 260wh plenty for a local 22- 26 mile jaunt.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The diy water bottle holder battery is as stealthy as you can get on a kit build, no one is the wiser.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The diy water bottle holder battery is as stealthy as you can get on a kit build, no one is the wiser.
Sounds like a challenge ;)

Also did 7.5miles this eve with putting 8n some effort on same pas setting. 7.5 miles with 30 % left ( more like 10% in reality given imy experience of the LCD)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ordered 24 HG2's on Monday Kirstin, email today say's they will be delivered by DPD tomorrow at 25p a pop cheaper then Nkon cells.