Review MiRider One

theroamingscot

Just Joined
Jan 19, 2021
First post folks so hello.
I'm glad so many of you like a straight talker as that's my MO. I can share direct from experience and 500 miles covered so far with my Mirider One 2020 model. (In Orange)
Private customer with no affiliation. Not technically minded.

The extra cost vs just buying over the internet it gives me peace of mind with a UK based company, 2 year warranty, better build spec, great customer service, easy parts supply, good accessories, clear branding, company ethos etc etc. No brainer for me.

Believe all the positives that are on this thread and in the published reports. I won't repeat them all but the positives far outway any negatives.
Some thoughts on previous moments om this post:

VFR400 stated "if it's showing 2 bar it wouldn't go much further" . This is not accurate. The battery will go down to showing no bars and will still have some range left. Naturally this decreases the higher the assistance required.

Areas for improvement:
1. Real world battery life between 15-20 miles, I live in a hilly area and weigh 90-95kg, and use the full setting range so that's good in my view. The 30 mile range the company states is ideal world and clearly low setting with a light rider. If it was on setting 5 continuously then yes 10 miles likely. I personally just bought an extra battery and the company are planning on a bigger capacity battery I believe this year too.
2. Lacking rear light as standard: yes but then I just bought a simple rear light accessory from them.
3. Single gear: positive and negative. I like the simplicity when riding and easier to maintain. Top end flat out peddling is 19 mph on the flat. So an extra gear would increase top end speed which would help to keep up with some other pro riders on racers however its not what the machine is really designed for. I simply enjoy passing them on the hills!
4. Some accessories missing from their catalogue but that's just a matter of time.
5. Needs a taller handlebar option to match the taller seat option but standard set up good for my 6ft frame. I believe the 2021 model has a larger handlebar range.
6. I think the odometer is reading up to 10% optimistic, when compared to my GPS.. Not confirmed but I am suspicious that is the case.
7. Can't put a grommet on underside bolt to rear luggage rack only front which means you need to tighten after every 20 miles or so if carrying a heavier load in the rear bag. It was worked its way loose a couple of times and marked the paint now.
8. Original seat is too hard. I just put a gel cover on it for comfort.
9. Handlebars ideally need to be a bit wider to accomodate extra attachments/accessories.

Some other negatives are miner e.g. lack of countdown to 0 miles, bike motor will kick in if walking along on any setting between 1-5 which means you need to be aware you are not caught out and turn it off or to 0. Mudguards could be a bit longer to avoid extra splash, stronger magnets to hold bike together but again I believe the 2021 model has stronger magnets.

I am sure there is a few more things but I hope the above helps for now.

On a separate note I value and appreciate good knowledgeable experienced individuals aiming to provide support to others and look forward to accessing that wealth of information. However I have concerns in any forum using unnecessary profanity, using statements which could be viewed as broadly racist e.g. "don't trust a chinaman". All this does is undermine any points being made, lowers the overall tone and devalues any forum in general, in my view. This post was my first experience of Pedelecs and so it potentially could put others off from joining. I'm not a snowflake far from it. I'm old fashioned and basically like politeness and manners.
You can be direct as I am being now but still be respectful too.

Thanks folks

Reactions: richtea99

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
However I have concerns in any forum using unnecessary profanity, using statements which could be viewed as broadly racist e.g. "don't trust a chinaman".
Racism didn't exist when my grandfther said that to me. Seeing as you like to be pragmatic, ask anybody that has been trading with Chinese suppliers whether they can trust their suppliers. I can remember just about every trader on this forum pulling out their hair when they saw the surprises in their new deliveries of bikes. Dealing with Chinese suppliers is completely different to European ones. It's taken a lot of work by these people to get to a level where they can expect to get what they want. That's not being racist. It's being factual.

Regarding your bike, the concern I have is that the battery is likely to wear out very quickly because of the very high current running through the cells. The guy mentioned that they use CANbus comms, which means that you can't replace the battery with the standard Chinese one that's fitten in the Onebot (unless what he says isn't true). You will only be able to get the battery from Mirider, and that's if they're still around and still got them in stock, otherwise your bike will become a garden ornament, like many others with CANbus.

Reactions: jarob10

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
I used to be a buyer for a large multi national.. I would say "don't trust a Chinese businessman.."

After days of negotiation, they would say yes to everything, then they would still go and do their own thing and deliver the exact opposite. Highly frustrating!

QA, if it can be swerved by them is a total nightmare.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I used to be a buyer for a large multi national.. I would say "don't trust a Chinese businessman.."

After days of negotiation, they would say yes to everything, then they would still go and do their own thing and deliver the exact opposite. Highly frustrating!

QA, if it can be swerved by them is a total nightmare.
Yes, my (fond) experience of working with Chinese people in another sphere altogether (software) is that their 'yes' has a totally different meaning from our 'yes'.

Reactions: Trickyh

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Yes, my (fond) experience of working with Chinese people in another sphere altogether (software) is that their 'yes' has a totally different meaning from our 'yes'.
I agree. Having spent 3 years working over there, I soon discovered that they don’t say ”no” to the boss but they don’t necessarily do what they said “yes” to. And whatever you do, don’t cause any loss of face !

Reactions: Trickyh and sjpt

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Back on the topic of the MiRider One batteries, I’ve found that the original has around 15% less endurance than the second battery I purchased but, as I’ve still only done around 120 miles in total, I’ll see how they fare in the summer.

I don’t fully understand why a MiRider battery would wear out quicker than any other due to the current running through it. Sure 5 Ah will run out quicker than a 10Ah battery but I get the same range using 2 batteries as a mate with one 11Ah battery. Don’t all 36V / 250W pedelec systems have a similar current or am I missing something ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don’t fully understand why a MiRider battery would wear out quicker than any other due to the current running through it. Sure 5 Ah will run out quicker than a 10Ah battery but I get the same range using 2 batteries as a mate with one 11Ah battery. Don’t all 36V / 250W pedelec systems have a similar current or am I missing something ?
You have half as many cells in a 5Ah battery as a 10Ah one, so each cell has to give twice as much current. A 5Ah battery is probably 10S2P. A low to medium powered 36v ebike normally runs at 12 A ot 15A, so each of your cells would have to give 6A or 7.5A. If it were a 10Ah 10S4P battery, each cell would be giving 3A or 3.75A. In one case, the cells are running at the top of what they can do. In the other case, they're cruising.

The more current you take from the cells, the lower the capacity too, so although your battery is supposed to be nominally 5Ah, You won't get much more than 4Ah out of it if you run with any meaningful assistance.

The more current you take from a battery, the faster it wears out.

The more current, you take from the cells, the more sag you get, so the lower your power too, as the maximum current is fixed by the controller, and power =current x volts. You have the same current, but not as many volts.

Comparing consumption with another bike is only meaningful if you ride together, are the same weight and pedal as hard as each other

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
You have half as many cells in a 5Ah battery as a 10Ah one, so each cell has to give twice as much current. A 5Ah battery is probably 10S2P. A low to medium powered 36v ebike normally runs at 12 A ot 15A, so each of your cells would have to give 6A or 7.5A. If it were a 10Ah 10S4P battery, each cell would be giving 3A or 3.75A. In one case, the cells are running at the top of what they can do. In the other case, they're cruising.

The more current you take from the cells, the lower the capacity too, so although your battery is supposed to be nominally 5Ah, You won't get much more than 4Ah out of it if you run with any meaningful assistance.

The more current you take from a battery, the faster it wears out.

The more current, you take from the cells, the more sag you get, so the lower your power too, as the maximum current is fixed by the controller, and power =current x volts. You have the same current, but not as many volts.

Comparing consumption with another bike is only meaningful if you ride together, are the same weight and pedal as hard as each other
As it happens we genuinely do ride together as we lack the discipline to do it otherwise. We’re also lucky enough to live within a few hundred yards of the Trans Pennine Trail and it makes sense (well at our age anyway) to ride on a buddy system. Luckily we’ve only had punctures to deal with but a friend of mine had a cardiac arrest whilst riding solo

Observations so far are that we broadly match battery endurance Ah to Ah and i guess I’ll have to cross the replacement scenario as and when but, with 2 batteries and a 500 recharge cycle capacity, they’ll do for another few years.

Does the torque of the motor also have an impact on the cell current ? And, if I buy a Tesla, should I always go for the maximum battery capacity ?

The last question is quite relevant as my jammy sister may be getting one as a company car !

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's the othe way round. Torque is more or less proportional to battery current, not cell current. The current is fixed to a maximum by the controller at low speed, but at normal and high speed it depends on the net voltage, which is the battery voltage minus the back emf, so a high sag battery will give less torque .

Also a small battery will always have a lower voltage than a big onefor the entire journey because the voltage goes down from 42v to 31v as the battery discharges, so when the 5Ah battery is 31v, the 10Ah one would be 36v.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I discovered the upside to battery sag - when you stop for a break, the battery recovers. Halfway around our usual circuit, I was down to 2 bars but after a beer and a natter, I had 3 bars !

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I discovered the upside to battery sag - when you stop for a break, the battery recovers. Halfway around our usual circuit, I was down to 2 bars but after a beer and a natter, I had 3 bars !
Was the extra bar the bar you had the beer in?

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Having had the misfortune to deal with Evans customer service has made me realise how good the guys at MiRider are. Emails are answered promptly and they seem to genuinely care about their product and customers. Even the daftest questions from a newbie like me have been answered in a helpful way.

theroamingscot

Just Joined
Jan 19, 2021
1000 miles so far and no obvious degradation of battery.
VFR400: thank you for providing context to your broad chinaman statement. It's factual only from the perspective that it's your experience and view. It may be echoed by many but doesn't make it a fact for all, although I appreciate there are different approaches to work ethic across countries and continents.
I agree years ago racism wasn't socially recognised. It existed its just ignorance playing its part. However around 40 years of awareness we need to be mindful of language in 2021 and how statements can be taken without context and even with context. Some individuals are less educated and may not see the point that's trying to be made.
Back to MiRiDER I agree with Barnsleyrob customer service second to none. They are expanding, growing, sales are up considerably. So I don't worry about gaining access to spare batteries.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
My missus keeps asking if I’ve listed mine for sale yet. Other than a classified on here, which hasn’t resulted in a sale and most unlikely to do so, I’m in no particular rush to see it go.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Trust me, I’d never live it down if I had to phone the missus for recovery and that’s why we’re doing shortish rides to establish the real world range. I’m last house on the route home and up another steep hill. It was good to see that after the battery rested it bounced back to 3/4 which is consistent with the behaviour noted on the first ride. Also, again on the first ride, it seems that the last bar on the gauge is very similar to the last 30 seconds on any Microsoft installation (and I‘ve been around since MS-DOS). I expected to be pushing home but it managed the long drag and the final climb home without any bother.
Don't be lulled into false security by that battery gauge. With 2 bars showing, you wouldn't have been able to go much further. The gauge isn't linear. it's always good to run your battery right down once so you can see how the gauge behaves. Bear in mind also that the battery will sag when you go up hills, so will cut out before it's empty.
Vfr - Sounds like a bit of a con then regards bikes batteries if true ^ As for chinese ive always found them to be very aloof , just not a friendly nation and untrust of other people ..When in Edinburgh i recall seeing 2 chinese people taking pics of one another ..i said you both like pic taken together was no no no and walking away ..ignorant i found them with their mistrust of others ..ive said same with Americans and Canadians and other nations inc Japanese people and all fine although once in Princes st in Edinburgh was seated with wife and this American guy came sat down on seat beside us with his acoustic guitar and i was learning acoustic this time and said nice guitar im a learner and he got up crossed road and walked away ..mean i dont look like type guy who is gonna take his guitar and leave with it on my hands ..i am just a friendly guy who trys be nice to others .. like when in Italy at Lake Como i seen these 3 guys and was one guy takeing other twos pics all time and he was not having any pics taken i took note and i walks across ..said you like in the pic ill take your pics together ..i took one pic and this Pakistani guy and Afganistan guy were fine but other bully guy id say fro Pakistan seemed bullish for his camera and handed his cam to guy again who was never in any pics to take of him all time ..me me me was that guy .. But Chinese race for me wins hands down of being unfriendly although i say they worry no one and carry on with their ways within their own communities ..Once in a bar again in Edinburgh and all them chinese staring in at us all at bar ..one guy offered them inside for a drink and no no no and again smiling they were and walked away ..just trying to be nice eh ..Anyhow its a big World out there and is all kinds ..long as they worry no one then allow them to live their ways ..Ps For the record i drink no more was few yrs ago now ..

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Vfr - Sounds like a bit of a con then regards bikes batteries if true ^ As for chinese ive always found them to be very aloof , just not a friendly nation and untrust of other people ..When in Edinburgh i recall seeing 2 chinese people taking pics of one another ..i said you both like pic taken together was no no no and walking away ..ignorant i found them with their mistrust of others ..ive said same with Americans and Canadians and other nations inc Japanese people and all fine although once in Princes st in Edinburgh was seated with wife and this American guy came sat down on seat beside us with his acoustic guitar and i was learning acoustic this time and said nice guitar im a learner and he got up crossed road and walked away ..mean i dont look like type guy who is gonna take his guitar and leave with it on my hands ..i am just a friendly guy who trys be nice to others .. like when in Italy at Lake Como i seen these 3 guys and was one guy takeing other twos pics all time and he was not having any pics taken i took note and i walks across ..said you like in the pic ill take your pics together ..i took one pic and this Pakistani guy and Afganistan guy were fine but other bully guy id say fro Pakistan seemed bullish for his camera and handed his cam to guy again who was never in any pics to take of him all time ..me me me was that guy .. But Chinese race for me wins hands down of being unfriendly although i say they worry no one and carry on with their ways within their own communities ..Once in a bar again in Edinburgh and all them chinese staring in at us all at bar ..one guy offered them inside for a drink and no no no and again smiling they were and walked away ..just trying to be nice eh ..Anyhow its a big World out there and is all kinds ..long as they worry no one then allow them to live their ways ..Ps For the record i drink no more was few yrs ago now ..
It's nothing to do with that. It's because the display is just a stepped voltmeter, so all it shows is the battery voltage. The battery starts at 41v and cuts off at 31v, so half way down is 36v, which is when you see two bars out of 4, but the discharge isn't linear. Have a look at the chart below for a lithium battery. You can see, that it used up 80% of the charge by the time it reached 36v:

Reactions: KeithMac and budsy

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
It must be calibrated in the MiRider display somehow because I can confirm that I’m able to gauge my return point on a ride by using the indicated battery levels I.e. turn back with 2 bars remaining. It’s also true that there is juice in the tank when the last bar disappears as it still manages a 6% incline.

Using the same methodology on my new bike, however, resulted in an abrupt stop about 300 yards from home despite 1 bar remaining.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It must be calibrated in the MiRider display somehow because I can confirm that I’m able to gauge my return point on a ride by using the indicated battery levels I.e. turn back with 2 bars remaining. It’s also true that there is juice in the tank when the last bar disappears as it still manages a 6% incline.

Using the same methodology on my new bike, however, resulted in an abrupt stop about 300 yards from home despite 1 bar remaining.
Your bike uses a KT LCD5 display. The battery indicator is just a voltmeter, though it has an adjustable damping coefficient, which can cause a bit of a delay in what is shows compared with the actual battery voltage. That's so you can use it more like a fuel guage. If you set the damping parameter (P5) to 0 (no damping), it goes up and down all the time, depending on how much power you use, so isn't so much use. The damping gives a moving average of the battery voltage. The higher is P5, the longer the period over which the average is taken.

If you set your lower display to read voltage (2 short presses of the power button), you can see at exactly which voltage the segments in the upper display come and go.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I much prefer the MiRider display. Do you reckon it would work with the Bafang G020 motor ? I’ll try to remember to take a pic of the existing unit - it’s a total pain to operate with gloves whereas the MR was very responsive.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I much prefer the MiRider display. Do you reckon it would work with the Bafang G020 motor ? I’ll try to remember to take a pic of the existing unit - it’s a total pain to operate with gloves whereas the MR was very responsive.
What you're saying doesn't compute. 2020 and 2021 Mirider One use KT LCD5s. Have you modified something or are there different versions? You can see it in the photo in this listing.