Mobile phone holder

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Hi all I'm looking for a mobile phone holder that's quite cheap and easy to move between bikes but holds the phone well, preferably one I could get a couple of brackets to fix to the bikes so can just swap it over.

Thanks

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
The tricky bit is finding something quite cheap. Friends have Quadlock, which is secure and transportable but depends on elastics and is premium priced. Morpheus Labs have a neat fitting. Not cheap either but it solved a problem for me as I had very little space on my tapered handlebars. Instead of using a lever clamp, I used a single u-bolt to attach a Ram mount ball. Then Morpheus labs had a phone case to fit the RAM Mount system.

If you can find an inexpensive solution, great. If you get stuck, consider the above.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Hi thanks for the reply, sounds like it might be what I’m after as I’d like to fit the mount to my bike and motorbike and be able to easily mover the phone across as use the phone as a speedo. Do you have any pics, part numbers or links please.

many thanks

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Quadlock are a bit pricey & require you to use the bulky Quadlock case for the phone but are very well made & 100% reliable. I use an old iPhone 6 just for Google Maps, Tom Tom & BikeMap etc & have a Quadlock mount on three of of our bikes to hold it.

Reactions: Tazmantic

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
Hi thanks for the reply, sounds like it might be what I’m after as I’d like to fit the mount to my bike and motorbike and be able to easily mover the phone across as use the phone as a speedo. Do you have any pics, part numbers or links please.

many thanks
Hi Tazmantic. Are you referring to the Quadlock or the Morpheus? I will guess the Morpheus . The Morpheus can also be a one part (OK, two - cased and clamp) attachment. I don't have space for a clamp so I use a RAM Mount U-bolt. If you don't know RAM Mount, look them up and you'll find how secure and flexible they are, especially important on a motor bike. In any case, no pun intended, the Morpheus/RAM solution is rock solid so here we go..

PART 1 - RAM MOUNT U-BOLT
Order a U-bolt. This clamps on your handlebars and connects a small solid rubber ball above the bars. Nothing moves. You’ll need one per bike. Everything else can be quickly and effortlessly swapped between bikes without tools.
1 x U-Bolt Base, 1.25" OD max, 1" ball (stainless u-bolt) (RAM-B-231-1) was £14.16.

PART 2 – RAM MOUNT CLAMSHELL
This part joints two mounting balls and allows you to orient your phone up / down / left / right in a universal joint that is vibration-proof.
1 x Composite Double Socket Short Arm 1" Ball (RAP-B-201-A) = £8.33

PART 3 – MORPHEUS BALL MOUNT
On one end you have a ball to go into your clamshell on the handlebars. On the other end is a circular plate that locks into the back of your phone case. I bought mine on Amazon but it is currently unavailable there. Try Morpheus direct. They are in Germany and provide excellent support in English. In the photo, the left part is the ball mount and on the right you can see the socket from part 3 that it goes into.
1 x Morpheus M4s mount with RAM Ball-Adapter.

PART 4 – MORPHEUS PHONE CASE
This case snaps onto your phone and has a ring plate on the back that connects securely to the plate of part 3. It is so thin that my phone lives in this case. I don’t swap to it to go cycling. My phone in the Morpheus case even charges in my car dock, lightning port, without needing to remove the case. Choose the right case to suite your particular phone. Also currently not available on Amazon.
1 x M4s adapter to fit your phone.

ASSEMBLED photo
This shows everything connected except the phone. I often leave this lot on the handlebars although it takes just a couple of turns of the knob to release everything except the u-bolt. The phone snaps in on top and a small lever gives added protection if you wish.

Once mounted, you can point your phone in any direction for perfect viewing. In the photos I took for you I angled the parts for best visibility and lighting.

Attachments

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Hi Tazmantic. Are you referring to the Quadlock or the Morpheus? I will guess the Morpheus . The Morpheus can also be a one part (OK, two - cased and clamp) attachment. I don't have space for a clamp so I use a RAM Mount U-bolt. If you don't know RAM Mount, look them up and you'll find how secure and flexible they are, especially important on a motor bike. In any case, no pun intended, the Morpheus/RAM solution is rock solid so here we go..

PART 1 - RAM MOUNT U-BOLT
Order a U-bolt. This clamps on your handlebars and connects a small solid rubber ball above the bars. Nothing moves. You’ll need one per bike. Everything else can be quickly and effortlessly swapped between bikes without tools.
1 x U-Bolt Base, 1.25" OD max, 1" ball (stainless u-bolt) (RAM-B-231-1) was £14.16.

PART 2 – RAM MOUNT CLAMSHELL
This part joints two mounting balls and allows you to orient your phone up / down / left / right in a universal joint that is vibration-proof.
1 x Composite Double Socket Short Arm 1" Ball (RAP-B-201-A) = £8.33

PART 3 – MORPHEUS BALL MOUNT
On one end you have a ball to go into your clamshell on the handlebars. On the other end is a circular plate that locks into the back of your phone case. I bought mine on Amazon but it is currently unavailable there. Try Morpheus direct. They are in Germany and provide excellent support in English. In the photo, the left part is the ball mount and on the right you can see the socket from part 3 that it goes into.
1 x Morpheus M4s mount with RAM Ball-Adapter.

PART 4 – MORPHEUS PHONE CASE
This case snaps onto your phone and has a ring plate on the back that connects securely to the plate of part 3. It is so thin that my phone lives in this case. I don’t swap to it to go cycling. My phone in the Morpheus case even charges in my car dock, lightning port, without needing to remove the case. Choose the right case to suite your particular phone. Also currently not available on Amazon.
1 x M4s adapter to fit your phone.

ASSEMBLED photo
This shows everything connected except the phone. I often leave this lot on the handlebars although it takes just a couple of turns of the knob to release everything except the u-bolt. The phone snaps in on top and a small lever gives added protection if you wish.

Once mounted, you can point your phone in any direction for perfect viewing. In the photos I took for you I angled the parts for best visibility and lighting.
Thank you that's absolutely spot on I now know what I'm looking at thanks for taking the time to do that for me :)

Reactions: RetiredAndRolling

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
RetiredandRolling's soluton is good. I have something similar, but on my motorbike (RAM mount + X-Grip), and it is solid at speed, as long as you also use the rubber wrap-round bit too.

This might be worth considering too:
You'll need a spare adapter (Quad Mini Adapter) for the second bike.

I'd avoid any that are just friction clamps - if you have an expensive phone you need a stretchy rubber wrap (or a solid case + clip), plus a well- engineered locking system. Hence eBay isn't necessarily the answer in this case.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Here's my advice: Don't buy a rigid mount otherwise you smash your phone when you fall off. Think about weight. After you spent loads of money to get a bike that's 500g lighter than a cheaper one, you don't want to add a 500g phone mount. There is always a better chance of fitting a thin clamp than a thick one unless you have loads of space on your hablebars.

I've bought a few of the cheapo Ebay ones for my various bikes. I never paid more than £1.99. They all work perfectly.

Reactions: richtea99

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Motorbike ones are different. I have one of those double ball clamp type, which holds it nice and rigid. The mass is no problem on a 230kg motorbike and it's completely protected inside the fairing.

When you fall off a bicycle, you rarely do any significant damage to it -maybe a scrape on the pedal and a scuff on the bar end; however, anything mounted on the handlebars is very vulnerable. If it's an expensive phone, think about those bag/phone holders that sit on the front of your crossbar, which are very well protected in that position.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Managed to pick up a cheap 2nd hand morpheus labs M4s bracket and phone case so will give that a go, if it works ok for my needs will need to try get a couple more brackets (that seem to be out of stock everywhere)

Reactions: RetiredAndRolling