Moderation?

Recycler

Just Joined
Mar 4, 2017
The Pale Hibernia(n)
The forum rules suggest that there is no moderation but a post of mine appears to have stumbled across something that looks like it.

The following post, link below, has, apparently, been repeatedly modified with the addition of a hot-link to 'pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-guides/uk-electric-bike-law/', added to '1500w' at point 1, below.

This became apparent because the original use of '1500w' was incorrect. Scientific symbols that are proper names should be capitalised, but when 1500w was corrected to 1500W the added hot-link was later re-applied complete with the incorrect lowercase 'w'. Three times so far.

One could accept mandatory unaccountable moderation (ER, NO! One couldn't. Ed.), but the repeated demonstration of spelling incompetence is... intolerable. Well, irritating anyway. ; )

If a moderator thinks it important to bring such a link to readers's attention perhaps they could create their own post in the thread to do so. Rather than apparently unaccountably edit some hapless poster's text without notification or any indication whatsoever (*).

Hence - Is this site's policy No Moderation, or Moderation? Or is there a 'Semi-Moderation' category?

If there's a happier explanation I'd be delighted to hear it.

(*) It raises the questions - Does this occur frequently? Is this general policy? How can anyone's post on anything be assumed to be tamper-free? etc.

> From pedelecs.co.uk/forum/pages/pedelecs-forum-rules/ -

> 9. This forum is unmoderated but has the facility for users to report content that we will then respond to if appropriate. We will remove defamation and edit and amend incorrect facts on receipt of substantiation, but will not censor opinion or other people’s personal experiences.

- http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/non-legal-mountain-e-bike-with-good-torque-and-top-speed-that-is-under-1500-quid.27070/page-2#post-361791

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The moderation of certain key words appears to be entirely automatic and requires no human input. Although, I should imagine Scott or Helen at some stage, had to input some key words into the database for the system to work correctly.

It can be irritating, especially when certain words are hot linked several times in one post, but it's essential for any newbies who stumble across a post via a Google search.

I did notice that if you are trying to insert a link into a post that contains a key word, then the hot link overrides the overall link and only the key word works. If you get what I mean :p

Might just be my laptop settings though!

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very odd, in over 34,000 posts and all ten years plus of this forum I've never experienced anything like this.

During that time I've many times expressed correctly X000W, X000 Watts or more lazily and wrongly X000w and X000 watts with no sign of hot linking appearing.

• Informative

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Very odd, in over 34,000 posts and all ten years plus of this forum I've never experienced anything like this.

During that time I've many times expressed correctly X000W, X000 Watts or more lazily and wrongly X000w and X000 watts with no sign of hot linking appearing.
Mmmmmmm, could be a browser thing. I use nothing but Firefox, although I haven't noticed it happening recently.

Recycler

Just Joined
Mar 4, 2017
The Pale Hibernia(n)
Thanks for that Fordulike. It's certainly a happier explanation to hear that it's (highly peculiar) automated link insertion rather than some demented loose human canon. Sort of! ; )

flecc, thanks for the reply. Once I'd seen it, and posted about it, then found another two on the following pages, 1 x '1000w' and 1 x '1500w'. Fancy that, etc !

Post #67 - http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/non-legal-mountain-e-bike-with-good-torque-and-top-speed-that-is-under-1500-quid.27070/page-4#post-361918

Post #69 - http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/non-legal-mountain-e-bike-with-good-torque-and-top-speed-that-is-under-1500-quid.27070/page-4#post-361933

Maybe today is the day to buy a lottery ticket? (Yargh! Ed.)

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mmmmmmm, could be a browser thing. I use nothing but Firefox, although I haven't noticed it happening recently.
I also use Firefox. I haven't noticed this hotlinking appearing in my own posts, but that's probably due to the way I hotlink in here. Because the forum's hotlinks are not very distinct, I always convert the hotlinked text to bold in my own posts, which makes the link show up much better, like this.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for that Fordulike. It's certainly a happier explanation to hear that it's (highly peculiar) automated link insertion rather than some demented loose human canon. Sort of! ; )

flecc, thanks for the reply. Once I'd seen it, and posted about it, then found another two on the following pages, 1 x '1000w' and 1 x '1500w'. Fancy that, etc !

Post #67 - http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/non-legal-mountain-e-bike-with-good-torque-and-top-speed-that-is-under-1500-quid.27070/page-4#post-361918

Post #69 - http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/non-legal-mountain-e-bike-with-good-torque-and-top-speed-that-is-under-1500-quid.27070/page-4#post-361933

Maybe today is the day to buy a lottery ticket? (Yargh! Ed.)
Yep, picked those up on my android tablet too. Weird lol.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I thought that in this very forum sub heading of 'announcement' that admin had stated last year when the forum reshuffle about legal implications and liability had been raised, that future reference to words such as dongle etc, would automatically link to the UK/law status page.

edit... Oddly it hasn't done it with my post?

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes it has! I can see the link.

Reactions: Gringo and EddiePJ

Advertisers