Modifications

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I have found that I have subtly modified my Haibike Sdurr0 4.0 Trekking, and thought I would share them with you just in case it is useful to others too:
1. Raised handlebar. I found it more comfy in traffic to have my head lifted up more, so for about £12 I got a longer stem which extended the handlebar upwards. Much more comfy, and easier to see ahead. Downside is not as fast though when you are getting a shift on.
2. Cushioned seat cover. As I wear jeans or shorts or just normal clothing, my bum got sore on the standard seat. This is like having padding cycling shorts, but on the saddle. Halfords again, about a tenner.
3. Go-Pro style camera on the handlebars. Just in case. Don't put it on your crash helmet, if you crash on to it the camera will go through the helmet and damage you head as if you have been hit by a hammer. Ask Schumacher. My camera looks a bit GoPro, but is a £17 Chinese one that does the trick nicely.
4. £3.99 end of handlebar mirror, from Decathlon. Invaluable, even this morning as I was suddenly overtaken in Sainsburys car park whilst turning right - that glance in the mirror saved a collision (he wasn't there when I glanced over my shoulder!)
5. Toe clips. Small, solid ones that just hold your feet in place. Gives you so much more power, but easy to use and you don't need special shoes. Can't cycle with out them now. Halfords again, and again only about £12.
6. Thumping great bike lock and wire loop. Best I could find. Its an expensive and easily stolen bit of kit after all. Best part of £100. Cheap ones are just too easily by passed.

Other modifications include a bracket on the rear mudguard as it rattled and moved about so much the rear lamp became disconnected (cable runs under the mudguard and to the lamp which is attached to the pannier).

All learned over 700 miles of owning the bike, which is now brilliant, after a few teething issues, by the way!

Anyone have any simple but effective mods they have done?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can make any bike much faster and easier to go uphill and you can increase its range substantially by making things lighter. It doesn't cost anything. All you have to do is stop eating pizzas, pies, chips, cakes, sweets and biscuits. It works pretty well on small and medium sized motorbikes too.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have found that I have subtly modified my Haibike Sdurr0 4.0 Trekking, and thought I would share them with you just in case it is useful to others too:
1. Raised handlebar. I found it more comfy in traffic to have my head lifted up more, so for about £12 I got a longer stem which extended the handlebar upwards. Much more comfy, and easier to see ahead. Downside is not as fast though when you are getting a shift on.
2. Cushioned seat cover. As I wear jeans or shorts or just normal clothing, my bum got sore on the standard seat. This is like having padding cycling shorts, but on the saddle. Halfords again, about a tenner.
3. Go-Pro style camera on the handlebars. Just in case. Don't put it on your crash helmet, if you crash on to it the camera will go through the helmet and damage you head as if you have been hit by a hammer. Ask Schumacher. My camera looks a bit GoPro, but is a £17 Chinese one that does the trick nicely.
4. £3.99 end of handlebar mirror, from Decathlon. Invaluable, even this morning as I was suddenly overtaken in Sainsburys car park whilst turning right - that glance in the mirror saved a collision (he wasn't there when I glanced over my shoulder!)
5. Toe clips. Small, solid ones that just hold your feet in place. Gives you so much more power, but easy to use and you don't need special shoes. Can't cycle with out them now. Halfords again, and again only about £12.
6. Thumping great bike lock and wire loop. Best I could find. Its an expensive and easily stolen bit of kit after all. Best part of £100. Cheap ones are just too easily by passed.

Other modifications include a bracket on the rear mudguard as it rattled and moved about so much the rear lamp became disconnected (cable runs under the mudguard and to the lamp which is attached to the pannier).

All learned over 700 miles of owning the bike, which is now brilliant, after a few teething issues, by the way!

Anyone have any simple but effective mods they have done?
I liked all your mods, really nice work, but IMHO you still missed one!
A rear light, that is partially hidden under the saddle, contains a sensitive alarm, a 433 Mhz remote control, a handlebar holder for underway, a horn and of course a LED red light with 3 different programs!
Anyone trying to cut your bike lock will set it off!
10 - 15 UK Pounds! From many companies on ebay! For example:-
regards
Andy

Reactions: artspeck

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I liked all your mods, really nice work, but IMHO you still missed one!
A rear light, that is partially hidden under the saddle, contains a sensitive alarm, a 433 Mhz remote control, a handlebar holder for underway, a horn and of course a LED red light with 3 different programs!
Anyone trying to cut your bike lock will set it off!
10 - 15 UK Pounds! From many companies on ebay! For example:-
regards
Andy
Funny you should mention this, been looking at getting one for while but just never got around to it. All sorted now, just ordered it thanks! At £14 if it turns out to be rubbish it's not the end of the world!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Funny you should mention this, been looking at getting one for while but just never got around to it. All sorted now, just ordered it thanks! At £14 if it turns out to be rubbish it's not the end of the world!
Mine has been working for 1.5 years now, totally great! USB charging. But as you say, if it goes wrong, you buy another. I had a look at the electronics and it has been very "cleanly" built!!
You won't regret it.
Also, I found a small type of garage door opener remote, that can also copy another working remote, so now I have two, the second one with extended range, for about 3 UK Pounds!! It was on offer from TMart, but you can find similar ones all over ebay for very little money. I like having two remotes with a second set of keys for my bikes locks (x2) and for the 2 batteries, as they have differently coded keys....
You need one with 4 buttons like this one:-
Here are a few more with very low prices:-
regards
Andy

Reactions: artspeck

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
You can make any bike much faster and easier to go uphill and you can increase its range substantially by making things lighter. It doesn't cost anything. All you have to do is stop eating pizzas, pies, chips, cakes, sweets and biscuits. It works pretty well on small and medium sized motorbikes too.
If I stopped eating pizzas, pies, chips, cakes, sweets and biscuits I would die...still my bike would really shift though.

Reactions: Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
" All you have to do is stop eating pizzas, pies, chips, cakes, sweets and biscuits."

I don't understand that sentence at all. Also, I was carrying beer and cider so that's alright then...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
" All you have to do is stop eating pizzas, pies, chips, cakes, sweets and biscuits."

I don't understand that sentence at all. Also, I was carrying beer and cider so that's alright then...
Yup, beer and Cider is OK. Try what I said, then come back and tell us how well it worked.

I forgot to mention that it also makes your bike more comfortable to ride because, without the big heavy lump on the front of your body, you can lean at whatever angle you want, lift your thighs more easily when leaning forward and you don't get such a sore bum, i.e. no need for special handlebar arrangements or special saddles. this is without any doubt the most beneficial modification you can make, and best of all, it doesn't cost you anything.

I found out about it on the Honda motorbike forum. I guy there managed to shed 35kg from himself and his bike, which gave him a 20% increase in acceleration, braking and cornering speed.

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I reckon the main reason these Tour De France cyclists stop by the side of the road every now and then to relieve themselves is to lighten the load. Anyone know what a pint of pi$$ weights ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1 pint = 1lb.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Of course if those teams were really smart they could rig up a tube like attachment that ran from their shorts into a water bottle, then as they cycle along they could relive themselves at will and ditch the full bottle at the crowd as souvenirs.
What a saving in weight.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you watch them carefully, you'll see that the lighter riders take about six bottles from the car and stuff them up their jerseys before they start a descent so that they can keep up with the heavier guys. When they get to the bottom, they take them out and chuck them.

.. and they have the cheek to call us cheats on our ebikes!

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I was lucky enough to be present at a Tour stage many years ago, still got the T-shirt somewhere.

James63

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2018
A US pint, (water), weighs about a pound and a UK pint weighs about a pound and a quarter.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Weight is not an issue for me - I weigh about 11.8 st or about 75kg. Saddle and handlebar modifications were for comfort and a better forward view.
For thrashing around I use a 1976 Dawes racing bike and a boat:

IMG_2104.JPGIMG_2209.JPG

Hang on, how did this thread about modifications get on to my weight?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
UK pint = 1lb of liquid.
Trying weighing on your kitchen scales.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hmmm! They taught me at school that 1 litre of water weighs 1kg. That was an international standard long before they discovered science.
1 pint is 0.568261 litres, so would weigh 0.568261kg
1 pound = 0.453592kg,

so 1 pint weighs 0.568261/0.453592 = 1.2528 pounds

Unfortunately, I can't test with scales because all my liquid measuring devices are in litres.

Not that it makes a difference to the basic argument because all weight is bad for cyclists except when you're going downhill.

If I'm going to go up a steep incline, I always drink all my water first to make it easier!

Last edited: