More speed from BPM 36V500 26 Code 10

MomentumUpstart

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2015
Ok, its sounding like hub motors will always have a narrow rpm window of efficiency and will not have even assistance over a wide range of rpm ie good for both light and heavy pedalling. Is that true?

rakos

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2021
Hi,

I have the following setup on a 26" mountain bike that was put together by a local company here in Australia. It is marketed as an offroad bike as it has large downhill style front shocks and wide 2.5" knobby tyres. The only way they can sell a bike with over 250W is to say it is offroad only.

However, I use mine for long distance commuting 20+ mile each way on very remote paths. I might see 2 other riders each day and am very respectful (although I can do the same speed on an unpowered bike just not for as long).

Currently the bike does around 20-21mph when fully charged and drops its way down to around 18mph by the end of the 20 mile ride.

The bike is quite torquey and gets up to that speed very quickly. Its noload rpm (by me lifting the rear wheel and accelerating) is around 23-24mph.

I am fairly fit and love cycling to work each day, however any more than a light pedal and the motor stops assisting.

Goal: increase top speed (path is very flat, smooth and straight) and allow the use of more pedal effort. I dont mind loosing torque as there is only a few hills and I am happy to pedal harder. Goal is to reduce travel time.

Motor:
BPM 36V500W 26 (10)

Controller details:
Rated Voltage: 36V
Under voltage protection value: 31V
Limit Current: 22A
Nominal current: 11A
Rated Power: 500W
Wheel Diameter: 26”
Drawing Number: LK559-3-2

Ideas?
Hi,
I have a question for the forum: I have the BPM 36V 500W 26(10). The motor has 3 wires so I assume it is 3 phase. The controller that came with it (yiyun YK31C) only has 2 wires (Yellow, Blue) going to motor. Can I use this controller?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)