More TSDZ2 woes!

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
After 2 weeks of use and just over 220 miles, today I was going around the bike making sure every bolt was torqued up.

Tightened up the cranks when I noticed the they have movement of +/- 1mm in/out/up/down. Didn't notice this whilst riding.
This not the usual culprit of a loose motor mounting. I have made a custom BB bracket everything is tight and solid.

The movement is akin to a completely shagged cartridge bottom bracket on a normal bike!

Surely the bearings can not be knackered after this short amount of time and mileage? Or is the normal TongSheng quality control?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Am currently considering another mid drive to replace my knackered Yosepower Rear Hub motor on my MTB (already have a year old 2000 mile trouble free BBS01 on my hybrid) and was thinking about a TSDZ2, but after reading some recent threads on reliability and other issues, I might just buy another BBS01. Hope you get yours sorted

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Am currently considering another mid drive to replace my knackered Yosepower Rear Hub motor on my MTB (already have a year old 2000 mile trouble free BBS01 on my hybrid) and was thinking about a TSDZ2, but after reading some recent threads on reliability and other issues, I might just buy another BBS01. Hope you get yours sorted
Thanks! Have used BBS02's in my other builds, this is my first TSDZ2 (and my last!), and TBH I think the quality control and build quality is poor (bordering on rubbish) on TS. Wanted to try the torque sensing of the unit, which is great, but don't think I can trust the reliability now. Not going to spend any more money on this project. Will ride it till it breaks.....lesson learnt!

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
The bearing play on these has been discussed on here and on ES before.

My own TSDZ had some straight out of the box that hasn't got any worse....yet.

I doubt it's difficult to split the case and replace the bearings with some decent ones....

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The bearing play on these has been discussed on here and on ES before.

My own TSDZ had some straight out of the box that hasn't got any worse....yet.

I doubt it's difficult to split the case and replace the bearings with some decent ones....
Thanks for the reply, you say yours like mine has had play from the start.... How many miles has your unit done?
I did a search of posts on here and ES, seems to be a varying reasons for the play!

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Thanks for the reply, you say yours like mine has had play from the start.... How many miles has your unit done?
I did a search of posts on here and ES, seems to be a varying reasons for the play!
Mine's done approx 1100 miles.

Like you, I was horrified when I felt it at first but you don't notice it when you ride.

The TSDZ's are definitely built down to a price, but as there's nothing else like them on the market I've learned to live with the quirks...

Reactions: JohnDaBike

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Mine's done approx 1100 miles.

Like you, I was horrified when I felt it at first but you don't notice it when you ride.

The TSDZ's are definitely built down to a price, but as there's nothing else like them on the market I've learned to live with the quirks...
That provides a bit of reassurance on reliability, as you say they are built to a price! :oops:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
If you like the motor, replace the bearings with decent ones, then it should last.
Will probably look into the complexity of replacing when I've got more time, and do some research into quality replacements. In the process of moving to other side of the country, so may let it run now.
Thanks for the heads up anyway!

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Will probably look into the complexity of replacing when I've got more time, and do some research into quality replacements. In the process of moving to other side of the country, so may let it run now.
Thanks for the heads up anyway!
I use Koyo bearings in all my engines- brilliant quality

• Useful
Reactions: MontyPAS