Mosso 29er 750w BBs02 first impressions

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
After some kind advice from a couple of kind forum members ( you know who you are ) I went ahead and purchased the Mosso 29er off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171271548769?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649 .On 26/3/14 i made an offer(not silly offer) and it was accepted and I paid through paypal. Throughout the process the communication with the seller has been excellent and polite. There was a few days delay as they were waiting for the battery but I received my DHL tracking number on 9/4/14 . The bike was shipped from Shanghai to Leipzig- Germany and from there to East Midlands and then to me and it arrived yesterday, 14/4/14.
The bike was well packaged in a sturdy bike crate with a cardboard box inside there was some slight damage at the bottom of the inner box but fortunately no damage to the contents. I unpacked everything and have to say I was impressed with how carefully it had been protected everything was covered in foam and cable tied I attached the all the bits and pieces and took my first look I must say that it looks great to me and seems to be of nice quality,excellent thick paintwork etc. I put the battery on charge but it was already fully charged.
Not being very experienced with ebikes (my other is a Kalkhoff bs10) it was always my intention to take it down to my LBS for them to do a full safety check which I did this morning .They were very impressed and commented on the quality of the bearings and hubs and how light it was (it is listed at 21.5kg which is heavier than my bs10 but I must admit having the two together the mosso definalty feel quite a bit lighter,i will check it when I get the scales out.) the only thing that was of really poor quality was the rear mudguard which patently didn't fit even after half an hour of the tech trying to make it fit so I seat tube mudguard was substituted .So after a clean bill of health it was tim
e to get it home and for the first ride
I had downloaded the instruction manual for setting up the display and set the units to miles and the speed to 50kph .there are 3 levels of assist (although 9 are possible in the setting menu.
I decided to do a short ride around a local flatish route just to get a feel for the bike. I set off using level 1 assist and was straight away shocked at how quiet the motor was ,way ,quieter than my Bosch I could barely hear it at all ,the power came in smoothly although as has been mentioned before about the BBS 01/2 the cut off of power when you stop peddelling is not as instant as on the Bosch although I found a quick dab of brake stop it instantly .I quickly progressed to Level 2 assist which I found took me easily up to 18/20 mph with very little effort, power was still pretty much silent and smooth. I had a few goes on level 3 and there was noticeably more power and easily took me to 25 mph with not extra effort on my part. This is the first time I have ridden a 29er and I found that it felt slower than my BS10 but smoothed out the broken road surface much better although the turn in to corners felt a bit vague and squishy ,probably due to the soft side wall tyres . The thing I found the most surprising was how much I enjoyed the thumb throttle ,just a quick dab when moving off from traffic lights was so helpful to get a high gear turning or when there is a slight rise in the road rather than having to change assist level or change gear ,just a couple of seconds of throttle made a huge amount of difference to the real world riding which really shocked me as half and hour earlier I would have said that I had absolutely no need for a throttle,you live and learn.
I did returned after 40 mins with 11.2 miles showing on the display having used just 1 bar of the 5 on the battery readout . Like I said earlier I felt it was slower than my BS10 over the same route and I must admit to taking it very easy as it was my first time out my average hr was 129 but when I checked Strava and Endomondo which I had started when I set off I was gobsmacked to see that I had actually done 13.5 miles in 39 mins at and average speed of 20.4 mph with a top speed of 36.5 mph !!! unbelievable! Strava and Endomondo were both within a nats whotsit of eachother , so much for feeling slower! Iam going to have to check that the correct wheel size has been put into the settings.
I know that it is really early days and I will update this when I get more miles under the mossos belt but for first impressions iam loving it and for the money I paid I feel like I have had a good buy. Iam looking forward to the weekend when iam taking it down to the lodge where it will spend most of its time on the narrow ,very hilly lanes and off road tracks that surround me. Anyone that wants a test ride is more than welcome .
Ride safe, cheers Gaz

D

Deleted member 4366

When Mosso first started selling on Ebay, there were many on the forum who doubted the quality of the bike and the reliability of their supplier. Here at Shsnghai, their bikes have a large presence. Several component suppliers are also displaying Mosso parts to show off their capability.

I will explain about the quality revolution here in China in another thread later, but I'll just say here that you can't say that Mosso bikes are rubbish that's likely to break down.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Did you really do 36.5mph on the flat or was it those pumping iron muscles of yours that did it?

MS.

Julian in Frimley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2014
After some kind advice from a couple of kind forum members ( you know who you are ) I went ahead and purchased the Mosso 29er off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171271548769?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649 .On 26/3/14 i made an offer(not silly offer) and it was accepted and I paid through paypal. Throughout the process the communication with the seller has been excellent and polite. There was a few days delay as they were waiting for the battery but I received my DHL tracking number on 9/4/14 . The bike was shipped from Shanghai to Leipzig- Germany and from there to East Midlands and then to me and it arrived yesterday, 14/4/14.
The bike was well packaged in a sturdy bike crate with a cardboard box inside there was some slight damage at the bottom of the inner box but fortunately no damage to the contents. I unpacked everything and have to say I was impressed with how carefully it had been protected everything was covered in foam and cable tied I attached the all the bits and pieces and took my first look I must say that it looks great to me and seems to be of nice quality,excellent thick paintwork etc. I put the battery on charge but it was already fully charged.
Not being very experienced with ebikes (my other is a Kalkhoff bs10) it was always my intention to take it down to my LBS for them to do a full safety check which I did this morning .They were very impressed and commented on the quality of the bearings and hubs and how light it was (it is listed at 21.5kg which is heavier than my bs10 but I must admit having the two together the mosso definalty feel quite a bit lighter,i will check it when I get the scales out.) the only thing that was of really poor quality was the rear mudguard which patently didn't fit even after half an hour of the tech trying to make it fit so I seat tube mudguard was substituted .So after a clean bill of health it was tim
I had downloaded the instruction manual for setting up the display and set the units to miles and the speed to 50kph .there are 3 levels of assist (although 9 are possible in the setting menu.
I decided to do a short ride around a local flatish route just to get a feel for the bike. I set off using level 1 assist and was straight away shocked at how quiet the motor was ,way ,quieter than my Bosch I could barely hear it at all ,the power came in smoothly although as has been mentioned before about the BBS 01/2 the cut off of power when you stop peddelling is not as instant as on the Bosch although I found a quick dab of brake stop it instantly .I quickly progressed to Level 2 assist which I found took me easily up to 18/20 mph with very little effort, power was still pretty much silent and smooth. I had a few goes on level 3 and there was noticeably more power and easily took me to 25 mph with not extra effort on my part. This is the first time I have ridden a 29er and I found that it felt slower than my BS10 but smoothed out the broken road surface much better although the turn in to corners felt a bit vague and squishy ,probably due to the soft side wall tyres . The thing I found the most surprising was how much I enjoyed the thumb throttle ,just a quick dab when moving off from traffic lights was so helpful to get a high gear turning or when there is a slight rise in the road rather than having to change assist level or change gear ,just a couple of seconds of throttle made a huge amount of difference to the real world riding which really shocked me as half and hour earlier I would have said that I had absolutely no need for a throttle,you live and learn.
I did returned after 40 mins with 11.2 miles showing on the display having used just 1 bar of the 5 on the battery readout . Like I said earlier I felt it was slower than my BS10 over the same route and I must admit to taking it very easy as it was my first time out my average hr was 129 but when I checked Strava and Endomondo which I had started when I set off I was gobsmacked to see that I had actually done 13.5 miles in 39 mins at and average speed of 20.4 mph with a top speed of 36.5 mph !!! unbelievable! Strava and Endomondo were both within a nats whotsit of eachother , so much for feeling slower! Iam going to have to check that the correct wheel size has been put into the settings.
I know that it is really early days and I will update this when I get more miles under the mossos belt but for first impressions iam loving it and for the money I paid I feel like I have had a good buy. Iam looking forward to the weekend when iam taking it down to the lodge where it will spend most of its time on the narrow ,very hilly lanes and off road tracks that surround me. Anyone that wants a test ride is more than welcome .
Ride safe, cheers Gaz
That looks like a really cool bike - looking forward to the updates.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Great report and great bike!

In the ad, first is says the battery is 48V 12Ah, but later, 36V 12Ah. Cells are Samsung.

I assume that if the motor is the BBS-02 750W, the battery is the 48V one. 48V is 13s. I believe this battery box only accepts 13s4p, not 13s5p. Then, probably you have Samsung 29E, which have 2.9Ah. So, 4p is 11.6Ah theoretically (in practice, a bit less), not 12Ah.

Is this correct?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
When Mosso first started selling on Ebay, there were many on the forum who doubted the quality of the bike and the reliability of their supplier. Here at Shsnghai, their bikes have a large presence. Several component suppliers are also displaying Mosso parts to show off their capability.

I will explain about the quality revolution here in China in another thread later, but I'll just say here that you can't say that Mosso bikes are rubbish that's likely to break down.
I don't doubt the quality of Mosso bikes, Mosso frames are freely available in the same way that you can build yourself an e-bike here with a KTM frame and a 750W BBS01 for about the same sort of money.
It's the guy who puts the bike together and sells it on ebay. Haibike tuck the motor above the bottom bracket, Woosh put the motor behind the seat post, why can't the Asian_resources.com guy tuck the motor in? he just builds a kit for you instead of a bike.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
@ Arbol , yes i noticed that in the advert and contacted the seller before I made an offer .It was merely a typo and they explained pretty much exactly the same as you have what was inside.
@ Mountainsport I have checked the gps data and it is very slightly downhill and i used the throttle for about 6 seconds but didn't increase my peddling effort, my HR hit 132 at that point, i am still shocked at it.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Great report and great bike!

In the ad, first is says the battery is 48V 12Ah, but later, 36V 12Ah. Cells are Samsung.

I assume that if the motor is the BBS-02 750W, the battery is the 48V one. 48V is 13s. I believe this battery box only accepts 13s4p, not 13s5p. Then, probably you have Samsung 29E, which have 2.9Ah. So, 4p is 11.6Ah theoretically (in practice, a bit less), not 12Ah.

Is this correct?
The high speed can only come with 120RPM by a 48V BBS01.
simple way to figure this out what's inside the battery is by weight.
If fitted with Samsung 2900mAH then 13 * 4 * 49g + 500g for the pastic casing = 3048g.
Anything heavier is built with Chinese 2900mAH cells.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
head to head, is it too early to compare this bike against your BS10?

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
The high speed can only come with 120RPM by a 48V BBS01.
simple way to figure this out what's inside the battery is by weight.
If fitted with Samsung 2900mAH then 13 * 4 * 49g + 500g for the pastic casing = 3048g.
Anything heavier is built with Chinese 2900mAH cells.
I do not know about Chinese 2900mAh cells, can you give a reference? And AFAIK, all 18650 cells weight approximately the same, in the range of 44g to 50g, so wouldn't it be a bit difficult to ascertain the origin of the cells just by measuring weight? I mean, if Chinese cells weighted say 80g, then yes, but with a few grams difference, I find it difficult to differentiate.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
@ Trex , yes I think it is too early to give a comprehensive view but I intend to remedy that asap .The three things that have stuck in my mind from yesterdays ride are 1, how much lighter the Mosso felt. 2, How quiet the motor was. 3, turn in on corners was nowhere near as surefooted as the BS10 (probably tyres) so 2-1 to the Mosso early in the first quarter :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I do not know about Chinese 2900mAh cells, can you give a reference? And AFAIK, all 18650 cells weight approximately the same, in the range of 44g to 50g, so wouldn't it be a bit difficult to ascertain the origin of the cells just by measuring weight? I mean, if Chinese cells weighted say 80g, then yes, but with a few grams difference, I find it difficult to differentiate.
Chinese companies are starting to make 2900mAH cells - d8veh may have found out who's making what at the Shanghai show, I expect to see about 55g for the early Chinese 2900mAH cells - the price of using SDI 2900mAH on a 48V 11.6AH is about $70 more than Chinese equivalent, that's as much as I know because of short supply on Samsung cells. The main thing is the peak power, SDI cells deliver 25% more peak power than Chinese cells. On the other hand, you can expect more charging cycles on Chinese 2900mAH cells because of lower peak power.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
I am interested to know more about these Chinese cells, especially if there are reliable suppliers.

Are they NCA, like the Samsung 29E and Panasonic PF?

If they are NCA (long calendar life) and cheap, they are ideal for me, since I do not care so much about a high discharge rate, which is according to what you say their only pitfall.

d8veh, have you heard anything "exciting" about 18650 batteries at the Show?

D

Deleted member 4366

Not much talk about cells. Samsung 22P seems to be the most common at only 2200mah.
When I was looking at small batteries for someone, a guy said that his case could hold 14 cells of 3400mah, which would be 24v 6.8aH.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it seems there is still a lot of mileage in pouch cells.

LucasButcher

Just Joined
Dec 16, 2014
Great review thank you.

It appears these are being sold with Li-ion rather than lifepo4.

I would like to buy one, any one know if anyone is selling them with lifepo4 batteries?

Or, is the difference not important?

Ride safe, cheers Gaz

D

Deleted member 4366

Great review thank you.

It appears these are being sold with Li-ion rather than lifepo4.

I would like to buy one, any one know if anyone is selling them with lifepo4 batteries?

Or, is the difference not important?
Why do you want LiFePO4? Battery technology has advanced, and there's much better options now for ebikes.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I believe LiFePO4 charging cycle is a lot better. Mine from BMSB is still running strong after 4 years with total 14000 miles

Advertisers