Most powerful eBike for long uphill journeys?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
My Haibike , no matter what graph says, is giving plenty of power at 85
But the graph says there still is plenty of power at 85rpm. Just not max power.
Try cycling up a fairly steep hill at 100rpm and report back as to what happens.

...but only if you can still load pedals ...
Lets say for example you have to exert 10kg force to trigger max current ( no idea what actual figure is) A normal cyclist will start to struggle putting same force on pedals as they reach high cadence.

That's why I,m not sure unit needs to use your cadence to calculate anything, force on pedals must diminish but because you are pedalling faster not necessarily the power.( from you)
But surely you are contradicting yourself there? You say that the force decreases with higher cadence, therefore surely the system needs to take cadence into account to maintain the overall power figure ??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
therefore surely the system needs to take cadence into account to maintain the overall power figure ??
only in the sense that it may be programmed to stop assistance beyond 120RPM for example. Below that top RPM (if there is one), it's just a torque multiplier, motor torque = pedal torque *1 or *2 or *3.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
only in the sense that it may be programmed to stop assistance beyond 120RPM for example. Below that top RPM (if there is one), it's just a torque multiplier, motor torque = pedal torque *1 or *2 or *3.
But this then goes back to the question I asked previously. Is the system measuring rider torque, or rider power.
i.e. is the multiplier a torque multiplier or a power multiplier. Because if its a power multiplier, you need to take the cadence into account.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Because if its a power multiplier, you need to take the cadence into account.
multiplying the torque is the same as multiplying power, until either 75NM or 600W output or 120RPM is reached, whichever comes first
ie motor torque = cyclist torque * 2 is the same as motor power = cyclist power * 2
If you want 600W out then you have to put 200W in.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
All this talk of what can or cannot climb, and which is best. Thee proof is actually getting on a bike and doing it.☺ First gentle climb of the holiday. 7.6 miles and 5,150ft of elevation gain. One mile ridden very reluctantly in sport mode, the rest in tour. Two bars of battery level left remaining from the 500wh 13.4ah Bosch battery.

Lauterbrunnen to the Eigergletscher. The base of the Eiger.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1070137693

https://www.strava.com/activities/1070137693/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499337347

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz and chris_n

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
All this talk of what can or cannot climb, and which is best. Thee proof is actually getting on a bike and doing it.☺ First gentle climb of the holiday. 7.6 miles and 5,150ft of elevation gain. One mile ridden very reluctantly in sport mode, the rest in tour. Two bars of battery level left remaining from the 500wh 13.4ah Bosch battery.

Lauterbrunnen to the Eigergletscher. The base of the Eiger.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1070137693

https://www.strava.com/activities/1070137693/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499337347
That's climbing, not theorising ;). Enjoy the holiday, how long are you there?

This was my last one.
20170704_093652.jpg
https://www.strava.com/activities/1066729942

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In one of the lower hairpins the percentage shown is 80.9%. How did you stay on the bike? ;)

I would have to go quite a way inland to find a similar climb in altitude gain but the climbs are easier than in the Alps.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That's climbing, not theorising ;).
I know which is of more use.

That looked to be a superb ride.☺

Here for two weeks, but riding is going to be hit and miss. Hiking with family in the day time, so it will be a case of either early morning or evening rides. Hiking felt tough today, after that climb. I didn't exactly take the correct route back down the mountain, which was fun, but scary!

Out on the pedal mtb tomorrow evening, as Saturday is my chance to take up an offer by a Swiss guy, to take me out for a ride, and he has already said that I need two batteries. The end of the ride is going to be tackling the Lauberhorn run, which will be good, as it has long been on my list of things to do.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
In one of the lower hairpins the percentage shown is 80.9%. How did you stay on the bike? ;)

I would have to go quite a way inland to find a similar climb in altitude gain but the climbs are easier than in the Alps.
Round the inside of some of the hairpins could well be approaching 90 or even 100%, probably not the best choice of line though.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Several sections were close to being impossible, and it is a fine balance between traction and looping backwards. The bike set up and gearing are also set up fairly well for this kind of fun. I can safely say that there are a couple of pretend eMTB's out there, that I wouldn't even bother to put a leg over to try these kind of rides on.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'll just have to try Jaizkibel there and back: 18 km and 900 metres gain.

Puerto de Otxondo is on the cards as soon as I get my battery situation sorted but I won't be stopping there and continue up to about 970 metres along a road that goes up to the radar towers. In theory I can come back down the other side... o_O Coming back down the track the way I went up will be hairy, lots of loose gravel, I already fell over walking down... Probably about 10% I may just walk the bike down too :eek:

Reactions: EddiePJ

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
trouty, which motor and battery do you have on your bike?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Stats from the climb yesterday (If it works)

https://veloviewer.com/activities/1070137693

Hiking today, and probably a ride on the analogue mtb this evening. I have been told that I shall need two batteries for tomorrow's guided ride, so don't want to risk not having time to recharge the battery. I suspect that I can pull tomorrow's ride off with one battery, but it depends upon the climbing pace. Being local riders, it might well be a higher setting than I would normally use. There isn't sadly a lot of time for the Ride, as the guide needs to get back.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Brushed or brushless makes no difference.

Counter-steering is because of gyroscopic precession according to the right-hand rule - nothing to do with weight transfer.
And there was me thinking it was the work of the devil

D

Deleted member 4366

And there was me thinking it was the work of the devil
May be it was, if he invented angular momentum, or if it was him that decided that angular momentum goes in the direction of the axle according to the right hand rule. There's many engineers that struggle to get their heads round that, so laymen have virtually no chance.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I find that this picture helps to understand countersteering, it's quick, intuitive and uses a minimum of effort, certainly more stable than steering the bike like a car:

I do sometimes the same on skis.

Related Articles

Advertisers